New pip application......what's next?

Options
I've been off work since August and am waiting for more surgery. I waited as had hoped my problems would resolve themselves, but I've been unlucky abd they haven't. I'm currently on ssp from my employer.

I applied for Pip over the phone on 27th nov. I completed and returned paperwork just before Christmas. It's been delivered, but I've not heard anything to confirm they've received it.

What is the next step? Will they contact my gp and consultants to confirm my mobility problems and other issues abd arrange for a medical? how long does the whole process take? The other question, is if successful do they back date the payments to when you applied?

I've never had to claim anything before, so totally unsure of how the system works. Apologies for all the questions, but the gov website isn't that informative.

Thanks for any advice.
Finally Debt Free 24/4/2023 

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Once they've received your form they send them to the health assessment advisory and from there it's decided if a face to face assessment is needed, most people have them. Timescales for this vary depending on backlog in your area. Some wait weeks, while other wait several months.

They very rarely contact anyone for any evidence, the onus is always on the claimant to send evidence to support their claim. Did you send any with the form? It does tell you on the front of the form what to send with your claim.

If successful then it's backdated to the date you rang to start your claim.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    These links may help you.
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/your-assessment/

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria

If you didn't send evidence to support your claim you can try to hand it on the day of the assessment but don't be surprised if they refuse to accept it. This happened to me twice when i wanted to hand in extra evidence. It's also happened to a lot of other people. Here's a list of what is accepted as evidence.
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/your-supporting-evidence/
  • Choccygirl123
    Choccygirl123 Posts: 1,033 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you for the replies, good advice.

I did send the only document I have, which is a very brief letter from my consultant. it was from August and a copy that was sent to my gp abd situation has changed a lot since then. I'm sure I'll need a medical and am expecting to have to appeal.

I guess I just need to hurry up and wait.
  • Crazydennie
    Options
    I'm in a similar position to you Choccygirl123. Never applied for PIP before and made my phone call on November 12th. Had a text to say they have received my PIP2 the day after posting as it was sent special delivery. I think it is just a waiting game. I am really hoping to not have a F2F but as this seems rare I am expecting an appointment letter to drop through anytime.

Fingers crossed we both hear soon.
    I'm Ever hopeful!
    :j:j:j:j
  • Choccygirl123
    Options
    I sent mine special delivery too but did t get a text. I hate having to apply but ssp just doesn't go far.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    Options
    I sent mine special delivery too but did t get a text. I hate having to apply but ssp just doesn't go far.

If you are single and SSP is your only income you could get a small UC top up which might increase after 3 months. Are you getting any other benefits currently? Do you rent your home?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Choccygirl123
    Options
    Hi calcitti

I'm married with 2 children and a homeowner. I don't think there's any other help I can currently claim due to household income. Hubby on good wage but it's made uTo be honest it's just been a shock and wake up call. I've finally have my light bulb moment and am budgeting, meal planning and trying to pay debts down.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    Do be aware of the 9 month rule for PIP. Your conditions must be expected to last at least this amount of time. With surgery they could say that your condition could improve over time. Surgery is usually done to improve your condition.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    Options
    Hi calcitti

I'm married with 2 children and a homeowner. I don't think there's any other help I can currently claim due to household income. Hubby on good wage but it's made uTo be honest it's just been a shock and wake up call. I've finally have my light bulb moment and am budgeting, meal planning and trying to pay debts down.

Be aware then that if you are still unwell when your SSP comes to an end (in late February?) you can apply for new style ESA which is a non mean tested benefit https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance. You will need to meet the NI contribution requirements for the period April 2016 to March 2018.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Choccygirl123
    Options
    Thank you Calcutti, that's good to know. I think employer will finish me as not been there 2years. Trying to see the positive that it's made me budget and realise need some savings behind us. My contributions slate paid up so should qualify. Thank you fir taking the time to reply abd share links, I really appreciate it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport