22 Foxhole East

Comments

• f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    It's the weekend! I have just stripped and changed 5 beds, knackered now, it always reminds me of a chambermaiding job I had for a few weeks to help out a friend's parents when I lived in Germany. But I always forget not to do them all on the same day, so I have a massive pile of laundry to do and it is chucking it down outside. The charity shop duvets are looking very nice, as are the Wilk0 ones, but one of the valance sheets from the CS was labelled as Kingsize and it is only a double. Very annoying. Will regift it, it was only £1.

DH has !!!!!!ed off camping with his friends for the weekend - weekends now start at 9am on Friday so it is just me and the 4 DS.

Can't believe it has been 2 weeks since they went back to school. Time is flying. It will be half term before I know it, so I am looking at wallpaper and trying to find something that I will not hate after a week of looking at it.

I have decided not to tart up the hall this weekend to surprise DH, I will do it while the kids are at school and out of my way so I can take my time.

So I am trying to sort out some boxes that have been shoved into corners and 'forgotten' by DH. Most of the rooms have taken shape, but there is one that is proving to be the dumping ground. We have a lot of fabric that is going to have to be used or removed, and I have banned DH from buying any more fabric until his stash has been depleted.

Right, off to make lunch for the 4, and get on with bringing Ordnung to the rear living room.

Happy weekend
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • f0xh0les
    Sneaky o/p of £105, so that is £147 overpaid, (does not cover the £180 interest a month - but it does mean it is not going out of the standard payment DH pays).

Bought a £40 tv from an amazing second hand warehouse down the road from me. We tried fixing the old one, changed capacitors, soldered stuff, fixed it, but I think there is an electrical fault with it. It stopped working again. Boo. Anyway, we have a replacement and it was not hugely expensive. :D

Trying to put up one of those IKEA units, with all the squares - it is 8 yrs old and seems to have warped, I have managed to get three corners screwed it, but the fourth corner is proving to be problematic:mad:, will have to wait until DH comes home and we can stand it up and hopefully, with gravity, it will behave enough to get the last 2 screws in, then that is another job done.

Then I think I may be on to putting up shelves in alcoves in bedrooms. I only have a few little jobs to do in the kids' bedrooms, then that is their rooms finished, until the roof comes off - hopefully it will just be a quick ceiling skim after that (they have the 3 bedrooms in the attic).

I went around the house this weekend with a notepad and pen and wrote down every single job which needs to be done in each room (except the ground floor - still not thinking about that, remember?). So I am going to start working my way through them.

I realised I am waiting for DH to help with them, and I just have to stop doing that. It is never going to happen. We had the same problem in our last house, I would say 'we should do .......' and he would say ' great idea, we should do that' and I would wait, and plan, and wait and wait. He hates DIY and in the end, after 3 years I realised it was up to me to get stuff done. He won't even put his clothes away, he is never going to volunteer to put up a shelving unit!:rotfl:
    He is happy to pay for it, but really he wants nothing to do with actually doing it. Bit sad about that, but he is what he is. To be honest he would live in a skip, but that does mean he never complains if he comes home and I haven't the place tidy and always notices when he comes home and it is tidy and thanks me.

Finally had the quote for the bathroom for fixing the flooring and putting in a new shower, OVER 7K!! the first man quoted too, £2k for labour, + whatever materials we supply. So either I am going to have to live without a shower, drop my expectations (- no tiling and a step up into the shower) or somehow get my hands on another £1000 to get the job done.

The frustrating thing is, until the roof is replaced and I find out how much replastering is going to be needed, there is no point in decorating the hall, stairs and landing (3 floors) and until the bathroom is done, there is no point in getting carpet for the hall, stairs and landing. The two things that are going to make this place look so much better are carpeting and a light coloured wallpaper!

DH does not see the point in having the roof changed until it starts to leak, but as we have nail sickness, really we need to get it sorted. 116 odd year old nails don't last forever! He has the roof money in his bank account, so I am going to have to save up for that as well, I think he views it as his safety net, his emergency fund. I don't think I am going to get my hands on that money again.

Still, now I have my new shiny list of things to do, I am just going to have to get on with the cheaper items I can do myself, and save hard for the more expensive ones. :T I have a plan!!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Just popped in to catch up. Your shower quote is terrifying!!
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • f0xh0les
    One text message and he dropped the price by £1,500. The guy is a chancer. He can jolly well do one!!
  • Bobarella
    He picked the wrong person to tangle with. Idiot.

• f0xh0les
    You know, I don't mind when I get a tradesman in to quote for a job if he just says ' look, I don't fancy this one' or 'I wouldn't do a job this big', that is fine, it is honest. But when they just give you a stupidly inflated quote, with a ridiculous timescale, they are just wasting my time, and it is out of order.

It took me about 8 years in Manchester to get a decent group of tradesmen I knew I could call on, and not get messed about. Hope it takes less time this time around!
  • f0xh0les
    Well the 10 year old IKEA 16 storage cube unit looks totally fab now it is painted and up - ok I have spent £20 on Captain America Blue enamel spray paint, but it looks so good and nothing like the scratched up boring pretend wood unit that has graced so many rooms in the Manchester house. DS4 is so pleased with it too. Now he can display all his 'treasures', and I could not have bought anything like it for the cost of paint.

So I decided after the school run this morning, to run around the house and tidy v quickly from the top down. I can have 4 bedrooms and the bathroom done before 10am. Good to know, however I left bedroom 5 as it is a total tip - DS2 can sort that out when he comes home (won't hold my breath).

Then I thought I would pull off a few bits of wallpaper to get to see the size of the holes the electricians have left in my walls when they rewired. I cut some plasterboard left over from when Mr Plasterer plastered the top floor (before I knew we were going to be needing a new roof and therefore all the stupid ceilings replastering:mad: when that its finished)and have filled two of the lath and plaster holes with nicely cut plasterboard and stuck it in with interior grab adhesive. I will skim it with some plaster I have lying around a bit later . I mean, really as they are quite small areas, it is not much different to icing a cake. Just icing a vertical cake:rotfl:..... with a trowel.... and it is only going to be wallpapered over, except the fabulous wallpaper I found has all sold out!

So the search goes on ... and in the meantime, I shall hoover up all the bits of plaster that have come off the wall when the wallpaper came down with it. :rotfl:

Oh well, old houses and all that comes with them.

On my second NSD this week already and there is still food in the fridge. Can't complain really.
  • f0xh0les
    I scrumped 24lbs of apples this morning from a lovely man who posted on Streetlife about his windfall apples. Lovely sunny day and me up a ladder.

DS2 was 12 yesterday, he had a lovely day and DH bought his present (!), so that saved me some money. I made a triple decker sponge filled with peanut butter icing, and covered with the taste of the 1970s - chocolate couverture. I found it on the top shelf of the supermarket, and knew it had to come home with me just to weird out DH. Such fun!

Bought a coffee table for £5 from a second hand shop, it makes the living room look great and now we can play Scrabble in comfort.

I am so confused that anyone could have not known Fat Sam had his finger in the pie ( ex- England manager). Never liked him when he was at Bolton with all his irregularities at the JD Stadium.

Did a really nice bit of patch plastering.

I am busy moving bits of furniture around the place, moving bits out of rooms where they are no longer needed and dragging them down 2 flights of stairs to sit in the hall. Now I have 4 bookcases we no longer need, and am going to put up some shelves in the chimney alcoves. I have plans! I sold one of the bookshelves for £15, it cost me £15 new from IKEA, but I suppose it saved the person a trip to IKEA, and I delivered it, so they gave me £20 instead. I have put up a bundle of 10 Miffy books for sale, and a bundle of 6 Harry and the bucketful of dinosaurs books on to the local selling page, only £3 each, but every penny is going into the money box and then into the mortgage overpayment pot. The kids are finally saying 'I do not need this anymore, I do not want it'. Hooray!!
    DH has not yet learnt this skill.

I am so happy it is Autumn I keep dancing around the place.
  • f0xh0les
    £2 for 5 Harry books this morning before 9.15 (gone into the selling money box):)

Stripping and plastering this weekend (!):j

DH is 42 this weekend, he is having a few problems with getting older. Very strange, he is so not the kind of person you would expect to be funny about ageing. He says he is allowed to be vain about losing his looks, and locks, and teeth - yes, he is going to be 42, not 102. Odd bloke. I did suggest we do the humane thing and have him put down at the vets, but I just got sighing and head shaking.:rotfl:

I was 42 in June, but as I am so much older than him, I get to be wiser. He gets to be the monkey. :p

Today feels like Friday....... lucky me, I will have two this week.

Loving the autumnal feel in the air.
  • Bobarella
    For some reason I haven't been getting your diary update notifications until today. Sorry to have missed all the goings on. Happy birthday to OH. Sorry he's feeling wobbly. I suppose the passing of time affects us all differently. Perhaps having an almost teen is stirring up those feelings?
    Well done on the delicious sounding birthday cake too. Yum!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure