Our attempt at being MF!!

Options

Comments

• gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Well done on opening the ISA Cath :T.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • norfolkdream
    norfolkdream Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    You're making me look into this ISA thing Cath, I dont really understand it or the charges etc (looked on the CS site last night) will have to read Eds posts :)
    MFW 16 No 33
    2016 OP Paid/Target 2063/£2063 (100%) COMPLETE
    Mortgage Free - Apr 2016 -DONE!:j
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not a clue what we are specifically saving for but I guess our future is enough?

I think that it's always helpful to have a specific target to shoot for, otherwise you cannot evaluate how you are doing against your plan. Why not pick an arbitrary point and value to get started (say £xxxxx by the time your mortgage is paid off)?
    HM pesto is easy and a gazillion times nicer than bought.

Sounds delicious - has anyone made kale pesto?
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I will look into it using some calculators, thanks Ed.

Thanks Al, might make some of that.

DH had a bank statement arrive yesterday, I gave it to him and it remained on the side unopened. When it was finally revealed he's overdrawn and incurring daily charges. He clearly is not managing fortnightly pay!! Needed to do some quick money shuffling to correct his account and I am now hoping he will budget better. :eek:

Checked my lotto deal, don't think it's going to track (DH has) as I have had an account with them and closed it in the past.

£2 personal budget not lasting too well. Spent £1.52 of it today, bread for my mum who I was visiting and some bananas for school snacks. Hardly worth spending the remaining 48p :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • Cream_Tea
    Cream_Tea Posts: 427 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    Is it an emergency fund you're planning to start or retirement or something else? Saving is definitely on my mind at the moment. I'm in agreement with Edinburgher having a goal for your savings means you achieve more than if you meander along saving what you can. I suppose really like your plan for this year. You have knocked so much off everything by pushing yourself and checking each week/month you're on track.

Whatever you do I am sure that you will be impressive if your diary is any predictor. :beer:

CT
    Mortgage [STRIKE]£269,000[/STRIKE] £258,987 / MF date [STRIKE]June'49[/STRIKE] June'49
    Debt £24,990 / Debt Free Est. May'21

Updated 06/05/18
  • CathT
    edited 9 June 2015 at 6:07AM
    Options
    Hi Creamtea, thank you for your kind post :)

I think it's something to get us started at the moment but I have been mulling it over. I am 33, DH is 38, our mortgage has 14years 6 months left on original term so with our OP's that is of course reduced.

I was debating whether a 10 year plan would give us enough money to clear the mortgage if necessary and perhaps a deposit for a buy to let. Thh, I am realising 'normal people' can achieve a BTL if that makes sense. I think the long term goal is security in retirement or at least being able to work very part time from 50 onwards. Perhaps a BTL could help us generate that income?

NSD today, I guarantee that 48p will last me all week! :rotfl: £3.10 hit my account from euromilli0ns so have paid that off a cc. Might not be much but it reduced our debt.

The amazing roast chicken strikes again, It feeds us most of the week! DH made a delicious stir fry and I will have some in a salad tomorrow with home grown leaves. Home grown stuff really is delicious. I was watering the plants this evening after the children had gone to bed and i really enjoyed those few minutes in the garden, peaceful, fresh smells and relaxing. An hour previous it had been filled with laughter as we played games after dinner. I do love summer months and doesn't the sunshine make a difference.
  • CathT
    edited 10 June 2015 at 9:25PM
    Options
    A busy day but am managing to bring quality to our working week. More play in the garden after work and dd up to date with homework which saves any morning stress tomorrow!

Online food shop done for delivery tomorrow. Mr S had sent me a voucher for £8 off a £50 online shop and I also bought an annual delivery pass for £15. I know Mr S is not the cheapest but I do like their products and a busylifestyle means an online shop is much needed at times! Food shop came in at £49.90 and included washing powder, conditioner and washing up liquid as don't usually need. Just wine left to buy for the weekend :)

Current totals

Petrol £75.64

Food £136.23 (including delivery pass of £15)

Not much else to report, still have my 48p :)
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I love the idea of bringing quality to the working week.

Cath I am ten years older than you, but you are the proper grownup. *humbled*
  • CathT
    Options
    Thank you Al :) the slog of the working week was something I was struggling with as I was wishing every single week away. With a young family that mindset had to change. Of course the warmer weather has helped but it doesn't feel like we are just spending the week working. I tweaked my working hours too and get home to have dinner together which has made a big difference. Something we started with dd when she was younger was asking 'what was your favourite part of today?' DS now takes the lead on this and I value this catch up :)

I've always been old though, I shall age very quickly!

I do appreciate your kind words, you are doing a sterling job.
  • CathT
    Options
    £3.87 paid off cc. Had £3 floating around in account all week and 87p landed from TCB. Payday Friday so I can cope with a zero balance until then. spurred on my PWD thread to shuffle some money :)

It will be a strange day I am debt and mortgage free and can leave money in the account. Maybe I will be a big investor by then and can re-direct it there!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback