Cheap Travel Money Discussion Area

Comments

• RogerG_3
    RogerG_3 Posts: 15 Forumite
    When getting moneyfrom an ATM abroad, the bank providing the ATM will sometimes charge a fee. My experience in NYC is that Chase charges a fixed fee of $1.75 and WaMu is the only one I have found there not to charge.
    Is there any way of finding out beforehand who does and does not charge a withdrawal fee in a particular country?
    Thannks
    Roger
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    RogerG wrote: »
    When getting moneyfrom an ATM abroad, the bank providing the ATM will sometimes charge a fee. My experience in NYC is that Chase charges a fixed fee of $1.75 and WaMu is the only one I have found there not to charge.
    Is there any way of finding out beforehand who does and does not charge a withdrawal fee in a particular country?
    Thannks
    Roger

The USA (and maybe Canada) is the only place where charges are general (thanks to rabid anti-trust laws in the US which have made things worse for the consumer and better for the banks). Somewhere on this board there is a thread listing the few places that don't.

Elsewhere in the world charges are rare and generally confined to machines in such places as convenience stores and petrol stations - much the same as here.
  • dzug1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Mashuta wrote: »
    Hello, does anyone know about HSBC Bank accoutn Plus? Is it true that they dont charge abroad?

No it's not true. They don't charge fees but they do load the exchange rate like nearly all the others.
  • Going to NYC in a few weeks with my family. Took moneysaving advice and am now the proud owner of a PO credit card and Nationwide Flexaccount Visa Debit Card. I only want to take a few hundred dollars cash and intend to withdraw money from my new Flexaccount whilst abroad. My question is when I am at home before buying foreign currency I can easily check exchange rates, when I am in NY withdrawing cash from an ATM is the exchange rate likely to be similar than at home, better or worse. I have tried searching for an answer but don't really understand my own question so it's difficult!!

NB I can take the advice and recommendations, but it doesn't mean I understand what I am doing!:confused:
  • dzug1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    lindalea wrote: »
    Going to NYC in a few weeks with my family. Took moneysaving advice and am now the proud owner of a PO credit card and Nationwide Flexaccount Visa Debit Card. I only want to take a few hundred dollars cash and intend to withdraw money from my new Flexaccount whilst abroad. My question is when I am at home before buying foreign currency I can easily check exchange rates, when I am in NY withdrawing cash from an ATM is the exchange rate likely to be similar than at home, better or worse. I have tried searching for an answer but don't really understand my own question so it's difficult!!

NB I can take the advice and recommendations, but it doesn't mean I understand what I am doing!:confused:

The exchange rate is irrelevant - it will be near enough the same in every single cash machine in the US so there's no point in checking rates. You won't know what it is until you get your statement - or access it online.

It will be better (by 5% typically) than you would get changing cash at home. Allow for a small fixed charge (a dollar or two) by the ATM owner - much more common in the US than here.

http://corporate.visa.com/pd/consumer_services/consumer_ex_rates.jsp

will give you an idea of the rates
  • sinbinjack wrote: »
    Hi All, I would remind all travellers that getting cash from a bank or change place in yourown country is not always a very good idea .I am not a very well travelled individual but I do know that a few years ago it was much better to change your sterling in Turkey as you got a much better rate there than in the UK,as much as 5 %better.This may no longer be the case in Turkey as I have not been there in 5 years and their currency has changed ,but I am at the moment in Thailand,and have been for the last 3 months aint I lucky,but the difference between what you get in the uk and what the Thai bank will give you for your Pound ,cash or travellers cheque,is very much more than you will get from even the best bank in the UK. You shoulsd always investigate the rates in the country to which you are going as I am sure these two examples are not the only ones out there.
    Happy travelling,:T Jack.

It's still the case that you get a better exchange rate in Turkey by taking sterling than you do by changing into Lira here - 5% or more.

HOWEVER if you use a Nationwide debit card you invariably end up 1-2% better than the best exchange rate available in Turkey - in banks, currency exchange places or on the street. Use their credit card for purchases for the same exchange rate & again no charges (hidden or otherwise) BUT NEVER use the credit card for cash out of an ATM.

Having used Nationwide abroad for about the last 12 years, I ALWAYS get the best exchange rate wherever in the world I happen to be. I certainly would never leave home without it.

Unless you go to somewhere that is in back of beyond there are invariably ATM's at or near the airport - so using the cards you never need to worry about exchanging money again & getting a poor rate.
  • I am so confused as to what currency i should take to turkey,can anyone help?
  • dzug1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I am so confused as to what currency i should take to turkey,can anyone help?

If you already have the currency, take it. Doesn't matter what it is.

If you are going to have to change currency, don't. Take sterling and change it there.

If you have a Nationwide debit card take that and use ATMs.
  • Hi all,
    If you put money onto any of these reccomended Credit cards before you go away (so that it is in credit eg. +£100), if you withdraw cash using the credit card do they still charge you interest??
  • Hi, my wife and I are going to Prague on 21st July. We plan to change £600 into Czech Korunas and take that with us which should be enough. If it's not enough, which would be the cheapest card to use? I have a Halifax debit card (I've read what Martin says) A Halifax credit card (I've forgot the pin no. 'cos I rarely use it anyway) A Capital one credit card and an American Express Platinum card (5% cash back). Which would be best, can anyone advise? Thanks.
    On the subject of taking that cash, we plan to leave most of it in our hotel room safe. It's a 5 star hotel (1st time for us! Wifes birthday). There shouldn't be any danger of it dissapearing should there? I mean does anyone have any experience of finding their hotel room safe gotten into? It doesn't happen does it? Or am I just being paranoid? Thanks.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback