Claiming PPI on behalf of a deceased relative

Options
Hi there :)

I'm just looking for a little advice please. Over the last few months both of my grandparents have passed away (my grandmother fairly recently). While going through their personal belongings/effects to make sure all their affairs are seen to my brother and uncle have come across some documentation from Barclays regarding loans that my grandfather had taken out over the years among other things such as a pile of premium bonds. So I'd like to ask a couple of questions that I can't seem to find a straight answer to:

On a will what is the difference between an executor and a personal representative?
If there was a claim to be made for PPI would it be the executor of the will who has to make the claim or can it be someone who is named in the will itself?
If the executor of the will is not willing to make the claim can A.N. Other make the claim in their stead if they are named in the will?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Only the executor can make a complaint.

Remember that they will need to stick to known facts only.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If there was a claim to be made for PPI would it be the executor of the will who has to make the claim or can it be someone who is named in the will itself?

The executor has the legal right to act on behalf of the estate. They can appoint a representative.
    If the executor of the will is not willing to make the claim can A.N. Other make the claim in their stead if they are named in the will?

Theoretically, no but ANothher can raise the complaint but the lender will usually want to see the death certificate, Will and probate (where applicable) and will only correspond with the executor or their representative. If there is only one beneficiary, the lender may deal with the beneficiary. Sometimes lenders don't always follow the expected methods either.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure