NST March 2019: WINS against the debt

Options

Comments

• Lovelifeloveliving
    Options
    Hi all:j

Shrewbie Woohoo the cockroaches have left the building.:T Well done for reaching for the cheese, I would have ate my weight in chocolate:eek:
    Fmess Hugs
    CCL You have my empathy. You are in a similar position to me regarding divorce proceedings. I have a financial resolution date set for June in the High Court. I have my fingers crossed it is my final date. We will come out the other side stronger:):)

Waste management
    - Food waste - Left overs for lunch.
    - Plastics – Repurposed an empty milk carton into a funnel.
    - Utilities – One load of laundry on the line. I hope the rain stays away.
    - Money – Still focusing on reducing spending and aiming to be within budget at the end of the month.

Invest in yourself
    - Do something every single day that makes you happy.
    DP coming over for dinner this evening.
    - Do something else every single day that takes you a little bit nearer to your long-term goals (and now is a good time to set some, if you don’t have any…)
    Gym yesterday, upper body class. Walk planned for after dinner.
    - Learn a new skill or re-start an old one.
    Still thinking.
    - Can you grow any food this year?
    My basil plant is surviving. I need to think of a few more easy to grow plants.

Needs not wants
    - We all know Martin’s mantra. Be consistent in applying it. Learn to distinguish between what you truly need and what you want to have now and simply cannot ever live without…
    Focusing on the needs. I'm determined to get to the end of the month without spending on the wants.
    - Appreciate what you have and enjoy it.
    I am grateful for time to fit in some exercise, being able to work from home today and not spending on petrol, a relaxing evening and a full freezer.

Simplicity

-Put routines in place that keep your life running smoothly and make things automatic.
    I got a large amount of the cleaning and organising done. Still a little to do. Not sure when I can fit it in.
    - Simplify your stuff. Just get rid of the unnecessary stuff. Donate it to a charity shop. Freecycle it. Give it to friends and neighbours.
    I have decluttered a few items of clothing for the charity shop.
    - Make space for yourself.
    I tidied and reorganised my bedroom at the weekend.
    - Cut out the extra noise in your life. This might be computer games, the Interweb, tv, radio, certain people. Allow yourself peace and quiet to simply be.
    A relaxing evening planned.
    - Be frugal in your needs.
    I haven't purchased any cleaning products or clothes.
    10/15 NSDs.
    10/12 Lunch to work.
    No vending machines purchases.

Have a good day all. Xx
  • ponypal
    ponypal Posts: 416 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 21 March 2019 at 12:14PM
    Options
    Hi all - I am on NSD number 9 which is not ideal but I am hoping to mission the rest of the month. Been having terrible anxiety and depression this week so just trying to keep going and do my best, ie. check in here.

Waste management:
    - Food waste – Not an issue, been doing great!
    - Plastics – doing my best :)
    - Utilities – this has been so difficult because it has been absolutely freezing at times this month. Roll on Spring!
    - Money – not done great on this... bought a couple of new tops... feel like I regret that already. Can frugal people ever feel good about spending money?

Invest in yourself
    - Do something every single day that makes you happy. - trying!
    - Do something else every single day that takes you a little bit nearer to your long-term goals (and now is a good time to set some, if you don’t have any…) feel like it might be a good time to reaffirm what they are.
    - Learn a new skill or re-start an old one - I tried playing my guitar for the first time in a year and I haven't completely forgotten. It was really fun actually! Will try and do that more often.
    - Can you grow any food this year? We don't have any outdoor space but I might think about doing some in the kitchen windowsill.

Needs not wants

I was doing so great with these until march... any help much appreciated!

Simplicity
    - Simplify your stuff. Just get rid of the unnecessary stuff. Donate it to a charity shop. Freecycle it. Give it to friends and neighbours. - been doing some more of this, feels good!
    - Make space for yourself. - definitely been prioritising this.
    - Cut out the extra noise in your life. Trying to reduce my social media usage. I deleted all the apps on my phone and hid the web browser on the second page in a folder so I am less tempted to scroll.
    Debt Free since December 2017#11 3-6 month Emergency Fund - £3,207.08/£6,000.00
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Small spend in Tesc0 yesterday but - annoyingly - I forgot garlic bread so will need to pick up some tomorrow, along with more mushrooms :) No spends today - used RM stamps to post some paperwork off.

My boss and I both have DC graduating this Summer, so are both using this as an incentive to lose weight/ get fitter/ look better in clothes. We're kind of doing it as a mini-challenge between us - hopefully this will give me an added layer. Very different approaches, though.

Today I am grateful for finally getting some paperwork posted off - it's a waiting game now for that part, a dry (if slightly chilly) day, yummy food for lunch, RM survey stamps :D
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • ditty1234
    ditty1234 Posts: 2,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi Just found this thread, and its perfect for what or how I am trying to be. Please eign me up for April when we get there, for now I will just follow, read and learn.
    LBM Jan 2019 - £25.928/Active debt £14253, 54% sorted
    Housing fund Jan 2024 £2000/6000 36%
    EF Jan 2024 £0/1000 0% Emergency fund is for worn out things like vacuum cleaner, dish washer, and washing machine.
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    NSD 13/15

Welcome, ditty123. This is a great place for support, advice and just generally keeping on track.

Today I've been cooking and cleaning and not much else really. The weather is a bit dull and grey but the heating is off.

Just got the council tax bill and rent revue for next year. Both have gone up, of course, but could be worse. On the plus side there is a small increase in my pension which should cover it. All the more reason though to be frugal and make the most of every penny, How my attitude has changed since I found this site. I positively hate spending money now, We used to laugh because my late mother would send Himself to do her shopping and tell him which shops he had to go to for certain things because they were 1p cheaper than anywhere else. I think I'm turning into my mother. Now that is a frightening thought!
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    NSD achieved - 17/20.
    Walked 2 laps of my usual route round the park.
    Sorted a few things out to take to the retreat. Have to finish off tomorrow.
    Got the tickets etc for my holiday. Put with the rest of the paperwork.
    Self care done.
    Did a small bit of housework.
    Emailed the company who are going to do a small job for the lighting above my front door(do not have communal hallway) to the flat as to what light fitting the property maintenance approve. Awaiting as to if and when they can do it. They did some electrical work in the flat before.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ponypal - please don't get cold! The utilities idea was to try to reduce usage, but not to the extent of affecting you. Take care. And enjoy the new clothes.

Kery Woman - you must be so excited about the trip. It can't be long now.

Today I am grateful for removing another 2 bagfuls to the Sally Army (up to 8 for the month so far), for another mellow day at work, for working with some lovely people, for digging over some of the garden and removing some plants/bulbs that bug me, for dd enjoying taekwondo, for an invite to sunday lunch this weekend, for being able to nab a dentist appt tomorrow when a bit of a tooth broke off and not have to wait until next week, for dd having a mufti day tomorrow.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • JoJo77
    JoJo77 Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hello Turtles, I’ve been gone for ages!

Butlyns was great and quite MSE. I paid for it originally with Tescoo vouchers and we took the slow cooker for cheap, hot, quick dinners every night. Did spend each day on hots drinks (it was cold, wet and windy and our apartment was miles away from the activities) and a cheeky glass of wine in the evening whilst watching the kids shows!! LO loved it which was the whole point. I did waste (in my opinion) £8 on a hideous unicorn plastic bubble gun. It’s tat, very environmentally unsound, and a rip-off, but how could I tell a 4 year old he couldn’t have one when all the other children had them?!

Speaking of plastic I have been collecting plastic trays and yoghurt pots for growing seeds. I’d say a 50% success rate with the seeds we planted before holiday. Planning on sowing some every 2 weeks, but I doubt I’ll still get through all the plastic I’ve collected. Seeing it all together is quite depressing

Been trying to cut down on utilities and been amazed at how much less energy you need to boil food if the lid is on! I know I should be doing this already but I don’t think I realised what a difference it made!

Anyway, grateful today for my new laptop which is meaning I can do an extra 5 hours of work per week, my brave and loving LO who really hurt himself this morning and didn’t cry (I did), sunny weather to dry my washing, my potted tulip flowers starting to open and for friends that make me laugh!
  • Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all,

SFD yesterday. Work is crazy so just need to get through today plus a revision class tonight and it’ll be over for another week!
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Life is no different than the weather. Not only is it unpredictable, but it shows us a new perspective of the world every day.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure