Cheap car hire article discussion

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    PompeyLion wrote: »
    Hi, first post so sorry if I break any rules; I have just booked a hire car ["Mondeo or equivalent"] for 2 days, to be collected on landing at Knock airport later this year, for £47 which is great. They wanted £26 excess waiver cover so I followed the advice on this site and took out excess reimbursement insurance with Bettersafe. I now have cover for up to £6000, for £1.60 plus £0.19 IPT. This seems too good to be true, or am I being cynical? Has anyone had to claim with Bettersafe?

Who do you collect the car from at Knock airport?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • My Holiday Autos voucher says "Serviced by Europcar" and "Car rental provider; Carhire.ie" and "Avoid costly excess charges for just £12 a day". It's only for 2 days but they still want €1800 deposit off my credit card.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Europcar own Goldcar, so prepare yourself for their insurance up sell before letting you have the car.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    My Holiday Autos voucher says "Serviced by Europcar" and "Car rental provider; Carhire.ie" and "Avoid costly excess charges for just £12 a day". It's only for 2 days but they still want €1800 deposit off my credit card.

This is normal. The only way to prevent it, is to purchase a waiver from the Car Rental provider.
    What did you think was going to happen?
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Hi, first post so sorry if I break any rules; I have just booked a hire car ["Mondeo or equivalent"] for 2 days, to be collected on landing at Knock airport later this year, for £47 which is great. They wanted £26 excess waiver cover so I followed the advice on this site and took out excess reimbursement insurance with Bettersafe. I now have cover for up to £6000, for £1.60 plus £0.19 IPT. This seems too good to be true, or am I being cynical? Has anyone had to claim with Bettersafe?

Since Bettersafe advertise a price of £1.99 per day, I don't know how you managed to pay £1.79 for two days.

https://www.bettersafe.com/Products/Car-Hire-Excess-Insurance-Protection
  • evergreen
    evergreen Posts: 396
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We are going on a cruise from Miami in August but will need car hire when we return to spend 7 days at a villa in Orlando. Can we pick up a car at the Miami cruise port? Thanks in advance.
  • I've cruised out of Miami a number of times. The easiest way I've found to meet up with a rental car, is to book it from the airport. Most hire companies offer free shuttles to/from the cruise port. There aren't any car rental offices right at the cruise port, so unless you take their free shuttles to/from the airport, you'll need to get a cab/uber to a nearby office which can be a real ball-ache, given the heat, luggage, crowds etc. The airport is very close to the cruise port and the journey is around 10 - 15 mins.
  • Mirn
    Mirn Posts: 1 Newbie
    I'm new to car rental and I don't have a credit card! (I also at the time of booking had to go to the local library for internet.) I booked a car via CarJet online and gave my (debit) card number. The next day I went to pick up the car at Green Motion at Edinburgh Airport and was refused the car I booked because I didn't have a credit card although I showed the man I had adequate funds in
    my account. The next day the cost of the hire was debited from my bank account.
    CarJet say I cancelled. I say the contract was frustrated by Green Motion refusing to hire the car.
    How can I get my money back ? Any ideas?
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,110
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Mirn wrote: »
    I'm new to car rental and I don't have a credit card! (I also at the time of booking had to go to the local library for internet.) I booked a car via CarJet online and gave my (debit) card number. The next day I went to pick up the car at Green Motion at Edinburgh Airport and was refused the car I booked because I didn't have a credit card although I showed the man I had adequate funds in
    my account. The next day the cost of the hire was debited from my bank account.
    CarJet say I cancelled. I say the contract was frustrated by Green Motion refusing to hire the car.
    How can I get my money back ? Any ideas?

On the front page of their website:
    In general, there are two possible payment options: Payment on Arrival and Prepaid Bookings.

Payment on Arrival: You'll pay on collection of the car by credit card (Visa or Mastercard).

Prepaid Bookings: You'll pay when you book online. Remember that although your booking has been paid for, the main driver will still be required to have a credit card in their name on collection in order to pick up the car.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • jago25_98
    jago25_98 Posts: 623 Forumite
    Related:

Please all be aware the the International Driving License Permit now has to be made in person at a Post Office so you may need to fly back to the UK to renew. It also now only lasts a year and not 2.

This beaurocratic change doesn't hit me too hard personally but it makes me angry as I feel for the people it will impact.
    Order of events: Banks lose our money -> get bailed out -> were inflating GBP to cover it -> now taxing us -> next will grab your funds direct -> things get really desperate to balance the books. What should have happened?: banks go bust and we lost our money much quicker
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback