building insurance attached to mortgage

Can I reclaim a building insurance which was attached to an old mortgage from 1999. I didn't know that we were paying this. It was cancelled when we did.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,040
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Can I reclaim a building insurance which was attached to an old mortgage from 1999.

Not normally. Lenders insist on buildings insurance as a condition of borrowing. That is allowed. Although they can no longer insist on their insurance (there was a period they could but I cannot recall the end date).

If you had a period of dual insurance and have evidence of cover from both, then you can enquire with both to make them aware that you had two policies and they will liaise between them and refund one accordingly.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Can I reclaim a building insurance which was attached to an old mortgage from 1999. I didn't know that we were paying this. It was cancelled when we did.
    You don't get a refund of insurance simply because you've forgotten purchasing it two decades ago. The only other explanation for you not being aware of the policy is that you failed to read the mortgage documentation you signed.

Why did you cancel the insurance? If only because you no longer want to pay for it then that is not a valid complaint.

Your only hope of any refund is if you were somehow paying for two separate policies covering exactly the same eventualities.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure