ps4 or ps4 pro

I'm thinking of buying a ps4 but is it worth paying an extra £50 and getting the ps4 pro if you don't own a 4k tv.

Comments

• Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,400 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Had my PS4 for years - if I was buying a new one, I'd say the extra £50 is worth it. Sony reckon it has a "30% CPU and 100% GPU boost over the PS4 and PS4 Slim and its extra 1GB of RAM is specifically for non-gaming functionality so the full 8GB can be reserved for your gaming at all times". Plus you might get a 4k TV at some point, so one for the future if you keep the PS4 for a while. For £50 - definitely.
  • burtons
    burtons Posts: 724 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Had my PS4 for years - if I was buying a new one, I'd say the extra £50 is worth it. Sony reckon it has a "30% CPU and 100% GPU boost over the PS4 and PS4 Slim and its extra 1GB of RAM is specifically for non-gaming functionality so the full 8GB can be reserved for your gaming at all times". Plus you might get a 4k TV at some point, so one for the future if you keep the PS4 for a while. For £50 - definitely.
    I've been reading reviews and the only ps4 pro (CUH-7100 model) I can buy has a coil whine issue so people are saying stick to the old ps4..
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,400 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Can't say I'd heard of that issue, but as I haven't been looking at PS4 pro's, I wouldn't have. If that's going to be an issue for you, then you've answered your own question really..
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Plenty of PS4 Pros don't have the coil whine issue and you'll only ever hear from those who do suffer from it. Even if you don't have 4K the turbo mode is worth having. It certainly feels smoother than my PS4 Slim did and out of my friends who are all on PS4/Slim I'm usually the first to be loaded into new levels. If you're planning on doing VR you want the pro.

There has been a "version 2" PS4 Pro released a month or so ago which runs a bit quieter than the first one.
  • binao
    binao Posts: 666 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    It's gotta be pro.
    £50 extra is only £1 per week for a year.

If it whines, kick it and take it back within 30 days for a non whiner.

Good luck.

(started with PS1, then 2, 3, 4, waiting for 5.)
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    For the sake of £50 i'd go for the Pro. It'll always be worth £50 more than a PS4 come resale time.
  • Getting an updated version of anything is always a better option. So PS4 pro has many new features. It will definitely be worth.
  • DigiGav
    DigiGav Posts: 7 Forumite
    I had a PS4 and a PS4 pro on a side by side comparison for Monster Hunter World.... did not really notice any difference in performance or visuals..... Both screens where 4K XB271HKs. (4k did not work from the PS4 pro as the HMDI version is 1.4 on these displays)
  • dan958
    dan958 Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Even without having a 4K monitor, you are still going to benefit for any of the games that allow faster frame-rate. You then also future proofed it a little for any time you get a 4K TV in the future.
  • Daniel21
    Daniel21 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    for me it`s ps4 pro
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business