Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pfpf
    • By pfpf 9th Sep 18, 10:14 PM
    • 4,206Posts
    • 2,885Thanks
    pfpf
    New to running, help me with footwear and advice please.
    • 9th Sep 18, 10:14 PM
    New to running, help me with footwear and advice please. 9th Sep 18 at 10:14 PM
    hello and thanks for reading.
    a little background.

Jan 2017 weighed in at 21st and inactive, today I'm at 14st 2lbs. I have been a little lower and my target is 13st 5lbs.

2017 was spent working on the diet (thanks slimming world) with very little exercise other than walking our dog.
    2018 and I added in exercise. I now cycle around 100 miles a week, more when I can and I thoroughly enjoy it. I have a hybrid and a mountain bike and am now happy with the gear I use/wear after a bit of trial and error.

on to the running.
    I have never run in my life, the very thought has always filled me with dread but finally on 1st sept and after accepting the cycling must have given me some fitness I attended along with some friends my 1st 5k parkrun. I had no clue as to what to expect from a performance/fitness POV.
    I ran 32.27 which I was actually thrilled with, my legs hurt like mad till about Wednesday. I ran again this week @ 31.03 with virtually no leg pain after the event.

so, on to my questions.

having only worn my old addidas trainers I'm now looking for something just for my running. ideally 30ish but I am very aware how much running shoes can be. I'd like to start with a cheaper pair if possible until I know i'll be sticking at it. I don't intend running more than 5k.

i was looking at these but no knowledge what so ever. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sollomensi-Running-Sneakers-Trainers-Athletic/dp/B01IXSTO0C/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1536527494&sr= 1-2-spons&keywords=running%2Bshoes&th=1

i found during each run i didn't have to stop for rests and my breathing was really good and smooth, someone told me that if i was breathing that easy i wasn't running quick enough. the problem is that although i was breathing well and felt good my legs were just so heavy, like lead weights. is there any advice regarding this issue?

thanks for reading and hopefully i can get some useful comments.

pfpf.
    pfpf, the avatar previously seen as "the Monkey".
Page 2
    • k.green
    • By k.green 26th Nov 18, 3:59 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    k.green
    I would agree with making sure you try them on first. Also shoes are the most important equipment you'll need for running (think of it as the equivalent of a bike for cyclists), so although you don't want to spend much money I would advise reconsidering this and spending a bit more but get a proper gait analysis and ensure they are comfortable - not only will this help to make running more enjoyable but also help to prevent injuries. Good luck with your running.
    • mollycat
    • By mollycat 1st Dec 18, 10:47 AM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 2,287 Thanks
    mollycat
    A lot of recommendations for Asics here.

Just for balance and another manufacturer to consider is Brooks.

Like Asics, only make running shoes rather than a "fashion" trainer and are well regarded amongst serious runners.

When I was running half/full marathons, I much preferred a Brooks trainer to the couple of Asics pairs i tried. (More comfortable, better support, lasted longer too).

Of course it's individual preference; like I say something different to try/consider.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 5th Dec 18, 1:48 PM
    • 3,476 Posts
    • 8,748 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I have liked Brooks and ASICS as both come up narrow and can be found in a ladies UK 10. More recently I have only managed to find ASIC gel Kaiyano in my size so have been through a few pairs - I wear them as everyday shoes as I suffer from plantar fasciitis and they provide great support
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,227Posts Today

7,068Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It isn't statistically representative true. But to say that tells us nothing isn't correct. It shows what people i? https://t.co/JBLu6Cd8a5

• Very interesting that on my Facebook page (which tends to be more pro Brexit) the same vote, with similar number of? https://t.co/NgYxaQDCnr

• Morning. I'm on my way to @GMB for my 7:40 deals of the week. This week incl how to beat the stamp price hike, a fr? https://t.co/DYJoF6NzKV

• Follow Martin