AutoAid Car Breakdown Discussion

Comments

• Solarjunkie
    Solarjunkie Posts: 385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    KTF wrote: »
    Any vehicle that you or your spouse are in.

Not any vehicle you are in, any vehicle you are driving.

Just renewed using 0800 2321691.
    Deal with things as they are, not as they should be.
  • Risnog
    Risnog Posts: 19 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've scrolled through this thread and get mixed messages whether this is recovery to a local garage, or garage of choice. Can anyone advise?
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Page 9
    We will arrange and pay the cost
    of taking the vehicle, you
    and up to 5 passengers from the place where the vehicle
    has broken-down to any one place you choose.

Note that anecdotally I've found in recent years that recovery firms will not leave a car at a garage out of hours where no-one can sign for it and often it has to be taken home and then to a garage the next day. Not sure how that works with autoaid. Anyone know?

• The_Goose
    The_Goose Posts: 44 Forumite
    I signed up with AutoAid last year, and my cover is coming up for renewal.

I am most put out to find that there is a "Policy Renewal Charge" of £5. What other breakdown companies charge this?

And also, if I take my custom elsewhere, "A minimum charge of £15 +IPT from the insurer will be applicable. We will also deduct a £15 adminstration charge to cancel your policy."

So basically, I am charged £5 to stay with them, and £30 to leave.

There is something not right about this, and I don't know why MSE has not pointed it out in their glowing recommendation for AutoAid.

I haven't had cause to call AutoAid out this year, and looking at the situation overall I think I will reluctantly renew rather than shell out thirty quid for the privilege of not renewing :(. However I can't help but feel they have me (and others) over a barrel :(

I was previously with Britannia Rescue, who I was very happy with, but they hiked up the fee last year and would only reduce it by a fiver, which was why I changed to AutoAid, not least due to said MSE glowing recommendation.

What do other people think? Are these charges normal practice? Britannia Rescue didn't charge me a penny for leaving them, and they certainly never charged me for renewing!
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    You must have misunderstood the TS & cs regarding the £15 fees you mention

You look to be referring to the fees payable if you want to "cancel", not for simply allowing the policy to lapse
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 August 2018 at 3:19PM
    The_Goose wrote: »
    I signed up with AutoAid last year, and my cover is coming up for renewal.

I am most put out to find that there is a "Policy Renewal Charge" of £5. What other breakdown companies charge this?

And also, if I take my custom elsewhere, "A minimum charge of £15 +IPT from the insurer will be applicable. We will also deduct a £15 adminstration charge to cancel your policy."

So basically, I am charged £5 to stay with them, and £30 to leave.

There is something not right about this, and I don't know why MSE has not pointed it out in their glowing recommendation for AutoAid.

I haven't had cause to call AutoAid out this year, and looking at the situation overall I think I will reluctantly renew rather than shell out thirty quid for the privilege of not renewing :(. However I can't help but feel they have me (and others) over a barrel :(

I was previously with Britannia Rescue, who I was very happy with, but they hiked up the fee last year and would only reduce it by a fiver, which was why I changed to AutoAid, not least due to said MSE glowing recommendation.

What do other people think? Are these charges normal practice? Britannia Rescue didn't charge me a penny for leaving them, and they certainly never charged me for renewing!
    You are totally misreading both their general and specific conditions.

There is no charge if you do not renew but if you do and decide to cancel that is a different matter. There is no charge to renew, what you pay is as shown on your renewal notice and for me was £6.37 cheaper than a new policy - £41.94 against £48.31.
  • orrery
    orrery Posts: 798 Forumite
    molerat wrote: »
    ... and for me was £6.37 cheaper than a new policy - £41.94 against £48.31.

Yep, same here. Good to see a company rewarding loyalty.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
  • The_Goose
    The_Goose Posts: 44 Forumite
    I accept I may have assumed that I had to actually cancel the policy rather than just let it lapse if I did not want to renew, so I mistakenly thought that meant I had to pay £30. Apologies.

However it clearly says on the renewal email I was sent:

"Your premium for the past 12 months was £43.31

The renewal premium due is as follows: £48.31 (including Insurance Premium Tax @12.00% and Policy Renewal Charge of £5.00)

So I am being charged five pounds just to renew, no?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,850 Forumite
    edited 8 August 2018 at 4:37PM
    It looks like you are being charged the full, as shown on their website, amount for renewal. The £5 being shown separately is because of the regulator tightening up on openness on any fees that intermediaries are charging, you would also get charged this for starting a new policy.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    The_Goose wrote: »
    The renewal premium due is as follows: £48.31 (including Insurance Premium Tax @12.00% and Policy Renewal Charge of £5.00)

So I am being charged five pounds just to renew, no?
    No

Their price has increased to £48.31/year since last year

It will still be competitive if price is your concern!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback