AutoAid Car Breakdown Discussion

Comments

• Alan_Cross
    Alan_Cross Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    Sorry for the ignorance - if you join, then what exactly is covered? Specific vehicles? Any car you drive? Is your spouse covered or can this be an option?
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Any vehicle that you or your spouse are in.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Alan_Cross wrote: »
    Is your spouse covered or can this be an option?

Spouse is covered foc but you need to add spouse to the policy when taking it out
  • Sky_Dragon
    Sky_Dragon Posts: 36 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Used Autoaid for the first time last month after the car suddenly broke down when driving home. They arrived within about 30 minutes and diagnosed the fault. They couldn't fix it on the spot but they were able to start the car temporarily , so I was able to get it as far as my home. They then arranged for a transporter to take the car to the garage the next day to have the fault properly repaired. Excellent service and I will certainly stay with them.
  • Hob345
    Hob345 Posts: 2 Newbie
    I purchased AutoAid based on the recommendation on this site. I had to wait more than one and a half hours in a builtup suburban region of the north west on a week day evening. The only recovery they could get was coming from Leeds even though I was near Liverpool! This tells me AutoAid do not have the network to provide a realistic breakdown response. It is too late for me to get a refund but I am taking my business elsewhere
  • orrery
    orrery Posts: 798 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    On the same day you posted this, I saw a post of someone complaining about the RAC with a longer wait than this. I've used Autoaid twice over several years and they've been pretty good.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
  • WLM21
    WLM21 Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am with Autoaid and got stuck recently in my campervan. Their mechanic was out to me in about 30minutes, even texting me to say he was on his way. Sorted me out (well the van really) quickly and all was well.
    10/10 service from me
  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,809 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    WLM21 wrote: »
    I am with Autoaid and got stuck recently in my campervan.

Camper van owners need to be very cautious when considering AutoAid. If you look at their policy document you will find that they will only cover camper vans provided they are below 2.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Weight.

The problem with this is that 1) many camper vans do not fall within this limit and 2) either their call centre operators don't understand what "Gross Vehicle Weight" means, or they choose not to.

For 3 years in a row I was assured that my camper van was eligible for cover, which I paid for. And then I asked that they provide written confirmation that my van WAS covered - at which point they told me it was not! Fortunately I had no breakdowns during that period, so I didn't find out that I wasn't covered the hard way...
  • WLM21
    WLM21 Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    fwor wrote: »
    Camper van owners need to be very cautious when considering AutoAid. .

Thanks for the information. Great point !!

I actually have a separate breakdown policy through my van insurance, but at the time I broke down I only had the phone number readily available for Autoaid.

I was covered anyway as I was driving the van.

I have both numbers now in the glove compartment of the van, together with policy details etc.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,518 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Hob345 wrote: »
    I purchased AutoAid based on the recommendation on this site. I had to wait more than one and a half hours in a builtup suburban region of the north west on a week day evening. The only recovery they could get was coming from Leeds even though I was near Liverpool! This tells me AutoAid do not have the network to provide a realistic breakdown response. It is too late for me to get a refund but I am taking my business elsewhere

There will always be bad experiences. A colleague's son was recently stranded for two days thanks to RAC incompetence.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback