Change of name on house

Options
Hi,
I am looking for advice regarding changing the name/ownership of house?

Our mother died, she didn't leave a will, I am the executor of her estate and have letters of administration. Our father died 25 years ago, so just my sister and I. I live in the house, My sister has a house with her husband.

My question is how do we change the name on the house? We have decided to put the house in both our names to make it easier for who ever goes 1st!I

Do we need to use a solicitor or can we DIY it? I
Thanks

Comments

• Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Options
    Welshbabe wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am looking for advice regarding changing the name/ownership of house?

Our mother died, she didn't leave a will, I am the executor of her estate and have letters of administration. Our father died 25 years ago, so just my sister and I. I live in the house, My sister has a house with her husband.

My question is how do we change the name on the house? We have decided to put the house in both our names to make it easier for who ever goes 1st!I

Do we need to use a solicitor or can we DIY it? I
    Thanks
    You need to apply for letters of administration and distribute the estate according to the intestacy rules.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If the hosue is mortgage free then it would be possible to do it yourselves. If the house is unregistered then you would have to register it, and I would recommendgetting a solicitor to do it.

Are you planning to keep the house? If you plan to sell, you probably won't need to change anything, you will simply be able to sell as 'administrators for...'

If you are planning to keep the house, it would be sensible for you to get some advice and perhaps get a formal declaration f trust drawn up to cover things such as how any expnses and upkep are to be shared, when / in wwhat circumstnaces the house can be sold and what will happen if one if you wants or needs to release your equity, and so on.

If your sister is happy for you to stay in the hosue then ypu and she need to have an agreement in place about whether you will pay her rent on her half, or if you are going to buy her out etc.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • nom_de_plume
    Options
    Welshbabe wrote: »
    I am the executor of her estate and have letters of administration
    You need to apply for letters of administration

Do keep up lol

Some reading here to help Welshbabe - https://help.landregistry.gov.uk/app/answers/detail/a_id/27/~/transfer-ownership-to-the-beneficiary-after-the-sole-owner-has-died
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bear in mind that if you live in the house and your sister does not, if / when you decide to sell, your sister may be liable to Capital Gains Tax.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport