What would be required of my older mum on UC?

Hello, following on from my previous posts we are still fighting a ESA MR and possibly a tribunal after my mum failed her assessment but further down the line depending on if my mum gets better and she was to start job searching on UC, what roughly would be realistically expected of her as she has depression, anxiety, is 57, long-term unemployment, lacking confidence and would only be after part time work ideally?

I realise you would maybe be required to look for more, everyone’s experience is different and up to the work coach etc but i have seen some people say they can be lenient if you are still seeking work but not to the full extent if you were well and fit so would like to know the ins and out of that. She wants to get back out there at some point but is scared of how people with similar age, conditions or like her may be treated or is it not always as doom and gloom as what we see?

Many thanks, any and all stories/experience very welcome

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    I think everyone has didn't experiences. Where you are and who you are dealing with matters. Around my area the DWP have a partnership with Reed in Partnership to provide the Health and Work Partnership. Despite being a government thing, I have been pleasantly surprised and have referred several members to it - it's voluntary, and they have got every member into work. And all our members have spoken highly of it. That doesn't mean it's the same everywhere - just what I actually have experience of.
  • sangie595 wrote: »
    I think everyone has didn't experiences. Where you are and who you are dealing with matters. Around my area the DWP have a partnership with Reed in Partnership to provide the Health and Work Partnership. Despite being a government thing, I have been pleasantly surprised and have referred several members to it - it's voluntary, and they have got every member into work. And all our members have spoken highly of it. That doesn't mean it's the same everywhere - just what I actually have experience of.

Wow, its nice to hear there can be options, i was wondering what groups and programmes might be out there to help people like my mum so i hope they are similar ones in my area when she needs them.

People like my mum want to work... badly, but just need a little help and support to get a foot in the door especially when you are 50+ and out of work for over 15 years with no skills or refrences, its not easy and is one of the scariest things you could face. Thank you
  • gizzmansl2
    gizzmansl2 Posts: 25 Forumite
    edited 24 September 2018 at 9:16PM
    Does anyone else have any experiences or suggestions of possible work programmes, charitys, agencys, help and support or anything that could accommodate her back into society because she will always have to deal and live with certain mental conditions like anxiety and also older age (57), a period of very long unemployment and no relevent work history or skills so you could say shes starting again but feels she soon will be ready to do it given the right help and support systems in place?

Also if anyone (especially older jobseekers) has any experiences on UC or otherwise and tips for trying to get back out there would be great.

Many thanks to all
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport