PPI enquiry confusion - Woolwich/Barclays

Comments

• Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Brie wrote: »
    Ok it's only a tenner. But how many years ago? And at 8% interest compounding? How much is your time worth?? Maybe you'll get twenty back - not a bad rate for an hour of your time.

It's 8% simple not compound
  • I wrote to Barclays in September 2017 asking for SAR (now GDPR) information for my legacy Woolwich accounts, they sent me a pack to my local branch and it only contained my Barclays data. It's almost as if the Woolwich never existed and I cannot be the only customer who wants this data. I have sent in excess of 6 letters (recorded as you don't get a response otherwise), I have an open complaint, I have been reimbursed £50 by Barclays as compensation for my time and by way of an apology and was told 3 weeks ago that I had to request the data again. So I requested it online and followed up with a recorded delivery letter. I have chased the complaints team today to be told this could take up to 6 weeks. I should be prioritised as I originally asked for this information 51 weeks ago on the 21st September 2017. Other companies have sent me data going back to 1993, I don't understand how such a simple request has taken so long. I'm sorry this has not helped your question and I have piggy backed onto your thread (I joined MSE today so fairly new to all of this) but surely someone knows how and where to obtain legacy Woolwich information?
  • Shrilly73 wrote: »
    I wrote to Barclays in September 2017 asking for SAR (now GDPR)

A SAR is still a SAR.

It sounds as if they haven't automated the process. It's clearly more complicated given the age of the data.

You could complain to the ICO, but I would just keep chasing it.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,478 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Companies are obliged to delete your data when no longer applicable.
    The Woolwich was taken over by Barclays in 2000. There probably isn't anything left after 18 years.
    And if went completely in 2007, that's still 11 years ago. The FCA recommend getting rid of data after 6.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    they sent me a pack to my local branch and it only contained my Barclays data. It's almost as if the Woolwich never existed and I cannot be the only customer who wants this data.

If you ceased to be a Woolwich customer before Barclays bought them then the information would be more limited. When one firm buys another, the consolidation onto the buyers systems tends to be focused on existing customers. Not historic stuff.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • It did cross my mind that they'd use that as a caveat but I would hope they would've told me that at the beginning and save me a year of angst. Black Horse, Abbey and GE Money have sent me data going back to 1991 so I would hope a prominent organisation such as Barclays can deliver the goods. I will soldier on and also try the ICO on 4th October which is the latest deadline they've given me if no joy. Thanks for the advice, it's nice to receive help from people who don't even know me 🤗
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,780 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Shrilly73 wrote: »
    It did cross my mind that they'd use that as a caveat but I would hope they would've told me that at the beginning and save me a year of angst. Black Horse, Abbey and GE Money have sent me data going back to 1991 so I would hope a prominent organisation such as Barclays can deliver the goods. I will soldier on and also try the ICO on 4th October which is the latest deadline they've given me if no joy. Thanks for the advice, it's nice to receive help from people who don't even know me 🤗

Barclays bought Woolwich but if the account was closed before they acquired it, there would be little point in retaining the data of closed accounts particularly after this long. 6 years is only a guideline, some firms will keep data longer but do remember if a firm has an active account with you or closed it more recently they are more likely to still store your data. I work for a firm where we dealt with GDPR requests for client medical records, we only keep them for 8 years after last treatment so when a client recently asked us for a copy of their records from 2009 we could bounce it as we had shredded them at the start of the year. Once data is gone (where it's not computerised especially), you cannot then give it to people if they ask for it.
  • Shrilly73 wrote: »
    I will soldier on and also try the ICO on 4th October which is the latest deadline they've given me if no joy.
    Do realise that there is absolutely no point in complaining to the ICO if Barclays tell you that the information you require has long been destroyed in line with previous data protection legislation. The ICO can only help if the Bank remain tardy in sending you any information at all.

As others have said, if you closed your Woolwich account prior to Barclays acquiring it the chances of you getting the information you have requested are next to nil. The fact that other lenders have provided historical information from far longer ago is almost completely irrelevant.
  • The account wasn't closed, it was simply migrated over to Barclays in 2007 and I kept the account open until 2014. I still feel that if they have destroyed the data, the right thing to do would be to just tell me rather than stringing me along with false promises of 'it's on its way'.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Shrilly73 wrote: »
    The account wasn't closed, it was simply migrated over to Barclays in 2007 and I kept the account open until 2014. I still feel that if they have destroyed the data, the right thing to do would be to just tell me rather than stringing me along with false promises of 'it's on its way'.

They may not know if it is destroyed or not. They have to search for it first. if they said it was destroyed and then they found it, you would be equally unhappy.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure