Eagerlearners journey to Terminate the mortgage

Comments

• EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Thanks Julicorn and beanielou, I am really excited and I can see why a diary is motivating, as you are accountable to yourself and I guess any readers at large tee hee.

Buildings insurance is low yes we got a great deal last year and I have done some little checks as ours renews again in Oct and hoping for similar, maybe a bit higher as I poss need to add a couple of items that may be worth something now.

House
    We have had some renovations done recently so this weekend I need to get on with painting. It is already making an incredible difference. We have talked about anything else we might need to do here, would love to do the bathroom again as it's 6 years old now. However we've spent £26k here now, so it's the only thing I would do (estate agent recommended it if we wanted to sell in the next 3-5 years).

Money saving

I am reading OCC diary and she mentioned product testing so I have now signed up to one, hoping for some moisturiser at least.
    Have decided no need to check broadband savings etc as we are in contract with Virgin so need to stay put for now.
    Avoid using car as will need petrol soon and really want to eeek as close to end of next week as poss to top up, as no funds for petrol left in my category on YNAB so will go over expected spend.

As we are open plan need to look at adding a curtain near our dining room, to keep downstairs warmer in Winter though I want something stylish.

Quidco is showing a few bits to cash out in Sep so this will all go towards the offset acc as well as anything else we can do.

Really hoping the 12 x lots of 20 bin bags I bought yesterday are 'strong' as they stated, will be very happy with those at £0.70p each as I got a discount.

To do:

- Chase college for lodger extra payment of a couple of nights
    - Research cost of cat flap as ours lets in lots of cold in the winter in the kitchen due to being damaged and missing 1 flap

I will update at lunch if I can - long day of work ahead but drinks planned with friends for tonight which I am very much looking forward to as have not seen them in a while. We have wine in, so no spend which is fab.
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • EagerLearner
    Great day today lots of work in at the moment.

Chased college and woop due to his extension we get another £31.14 which will go towards our final offset next week. I already have £28.06 in the pot currently. Earlier this month £1100 went in just moving from long term savings in Santander across to SW as we prefer it reducing interest there.

Poor student said last house he was at they kept meat outside with no fridge!!! So we thought he was vegetarian, but that is what he told college to ensure that did not happen again with new place ha. He was also forced to clean the whole kitchen if he used one plate or one cup. People like that make me fuming. What a terrible impression he must have had then of English people and he is so lovely too.

Not had a chance to look at cat flaps, but will likely do so tomorrow in between projects.

Finished a client website today and very pleased with it indeed, they desperately needed some marketing & design. I feel very proud and we might have some celebratory G&T tonight for another project finished with good feedback as we're now meeting friends next week. Now to finish my own site, hopefully by next week.

We're having a lovely chickpea, feta, red onion, sweetcorn and avo salad tonight - one of my fave 5 minute dinners.

Mental note I need to double check reduced pension amount tomorrow, we've both agreed to reduce from £625 overall to around £200 and focus on building money in the offset account.

Have a lovely evening all!
    MFW #185
  • zcrat41
    zcrat41 Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi eagerlearner. That sounds like a delicious salad. Do you have a recipe?
  • EagerLearner
    edited 24 August 2018 at 6:24PM
    Morning all!

Zcrat141 it's not really a recipe but this is what I throw together:

1 can of chickpeas, or make some in slow cooker if I'm feeling virtuous...
    Quarter of an onion chopped
    Half clove garlic, chopped
    Red pepper chopped
    Black olives, sliced
    Avocado
    Feta cheese
    New potatoes from a can, or fresh
    Sometimes sweetcorn as usually there's some in fridge to use up
    Olive oil, salt, pepper and oregano

Mix all together apart from olives, oil, avocado and feta. I tend to find the oil overheats otherwise. The rest are nicer cold.
    Warm in microwave.
    Add remaining ingredients and mix!
    Splash of lemon or vinegar is lovely too.

It's yummy and less than 5 min to prep.

Had a very bizarre dream that wild hogs were running around our house, v odd... Anyway in other news we caught up on Keeping Faith last night, if you haven't seen it you must, it's so good.

Planning shopping after work, a few hours only as I'm shattered today.

Researched cat flaps last night, slightly bewildered by the choices, all I want is a simple 2 way one that doesn't let drafts in! Might use some quidco cash for that next month and cash out a higher percentage that way. I'll then transfer cash to offset instead.

Get paid and will raise more invoices today, hoping to start to pay my October categories some more. This week we need to breathe in but we're just about OK on shopping. Want to take miniEl to some activities so need extra there and also more petrol, poss more on groceries as weather is changing...

How's everyone doing and what are your plans today?
    MFW #185
  • EagerLearner
    edited 26 August 2018 at 8:41AM
    Woop nearly finished and miniEl is heading home, can't wait for a cuddle.
    Have just done the weekly shop, and it was spendy but has a few luxury items for BBQs this weekend.
    We got things like wine, beer, BBQ treats, toilet roll, store cupboard items, flowers for MIL (well worth it she's been amazing), chocolate, some reduced items, general weekly stuff Inc loads of lovely fruit for £49.67 which I don't think too bad considering students breakfast then meals on weekends too. £239.54 and this will be the months spend, less than usual given how long this month is, no doubt helped by miniEl being at grandparents an few times ha and 1st week of August we were away, so food was from holiday budget.

Have heard from quidco that around £27 is now payable so I may well cash out next week in amazon vouchers to earn a slightly higher amount for the cat flap and some other bits, then transfer that amount to the offset.

As today I got paid I ynabed and have been able to round up overpayment to £100, which feels great knowing it is already lowering our interest. £89,401.58 is the current balance, with interest only being charged now on £83,701.58.
    I'd love to round the £5700 to £6000 bare minimum by the end of the year, not necessarily easy with Christmas coming up but we'll see how work goes. The weekly transfers and this diary will no doubt motivate me!

I'll raise some invoices and hoping for a good week next week too so might be able to overpay a bit more. I tend to find weekly motivates me because this is my paycycle, I couldn't wait a month to ynab!

Does anyone here use ynab? I find the zero budget / scarcity style budgeting works best for me and since 2015 to now I know it's completely responsible for our improved finances ( I wish it'd help project forward though)
    MFW #185
  • julicorn
    julicorn Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Well done on your round up overpayment!

I use YNAB as well. Have only been using it since May, but it's already made a huge amount of difference. There's no way we'd be able to overpay as much as we currently are without it.
    Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
    Mortgage neutral: September 2022, mortgage redeemed: December 2022
    New house, new mortgage: December 2022, £276,007
    Current balance: £217,800 minus £8,300 overpayment savings pot
  • EagerLearner
    Hey Julicorn I completely agree and am a total convert, we'll hit our third year in October. When we started we were something like minus £40k net worth and now we're +£13k. It's really motivating. Wow you're overpayments so far look good, well done! Must update my signature but I keep getting an error when I try to, boo.

Mini EL is back and exhausted after a trip to the park and library. Lovely to have him back and we've got a fun weekend planned, I definitely need 3 days off. In good news it may well be my best week this year financially :T really tired but worth it.

Quidco have only goneband confirmed an extra £20 this afternoon that was also only due in September so this is great. I may still make another £100 op at this rate next week and delay the amazon purchases... Oh decisions! :rotfl:

Did a 500 point consumerpulse survey just now, eeking towards the next 10 cash out.

Hubby has arrived and exhausted, thankfully I've got chicken and mushroom pasta made already, using a stretchy roast chicken that's provided many meals so far. Might have some rice pudding and peaches for after yum.
    MFW #185
  • EagerLearner
    edited 26 August 2018 at 8:45AM
    Morning all!

Yesterday was great, we sorted final school bits and saw friends for a BBQ. Whilst in Tesco spent more than intended but did save £3 with a voucher off, till lady said the generic £3 off £30 excluded clothes (?) and would not even scan it, we knew that was wrong. Customer services sorted it, so that £3 cash will be going into Christmas piggy bank...

Managed to buy a lovely new top for £1 from a charity shop, very pleased with that. Hubby found some jeans for £1 too and miniEL spent pocket money on a fairly cheap b toy, which later broke... Life lesson there as he was upset, harsh one but think next time it'll help him check what he's buying.

NSD today, out this afternoon with more friends - very social this weekend! We have everything in hand though, so just treading carefully until Friday. Feels veeeery long the last week of the month doesn't it!

I'd love to get a school project done, which we only found out about recently eek as miniEl was off school that day. Need to cash out on quidco too.

This month is the first time I menu planned for the whole month and I'm sure it's saved us some more cash compared to weekly. We've batch cooked as well, which is August is rare but cooler weather helped I suppose.

Does anyone have a good slow cooker recipe for the kind of weather we've got at the moment? All I can think of is soup... Which thankfully we love!
    MFW #185
  • julicorn
    julicorn Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hey Julicorn I completely agree and am a total convert, we'll hit our third year in October. When we started we were something like minus £40k net worth and now we're +£13k. It's really motivating.

That's amazing progress, well done! Makes such a difference being more aware of your finances, and seeing the progress as well, doesn't it?

We're currently meal planning a bit further ahead as well. The only thing I find is that we have to make a fair few adjustments throughout the month because plans change, or leftovers last longer than I expected, etc. But easier to adjust than to just have to do it from scratch all the time. :)
    Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
    Mortgage neutral: September 2022, mortgage redeemed: December 2022
    New house, new mortgage: December 2022, £276,007
    Current balance: £217,800 minus £8,300 overpayment savings pot
  • EagerLearner
    Hey Julicorn, yes I agree you do need to be flexible on the old meal plan. I'm even hoping to jostle some of this week's meals into September,we've eaten with friends again today, unlikely we'll eat dinner... Diet starts next month, right :rotfl:

Low spend day, aside from £1.69 for sausages as we made a salad to take round. MiniEl had a brilliant time seeing friends and we're collapsed on sofa now wrapped up as so rainy.

Found cat flap and now desperately trying to decide on some artwork for living room, but seeing as it has taken 9 years so far, we're not exactly in a rush ha :D

Moneysaving

I think this week I might cash out on consumer pulse, and withdrew cash from quidco which should hit by Weds.

Invoicing all done for last week. I think any income that comes in in the next few days will be split between final overpayment for the month, next month o/p, and into October bills too.
    MFW #185
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business