LPG gas price increase

I signed up with our supplier (one of the biggest) in 2016 on a good rate, however, since then the price has doubled. I received a letter from them saying that due to wholesale price increases in recent weeks they are having to increase prices again to 47 pence per litre. The thing is, a guy i know in the industry has shown me the wholesale LPG prices from the facility that this supplier buys LPG from and it is as follows

Jan - 0.1801
feb - 0.1984
march - 0.1898
apr - 0.1596
may - 0.1526
jun - 0.1587
jul - 0.1435
aug - 0.1720
sep - 0.1918
oct - 0.2198
nov - 0.2223
dec - 0.2285

jan - 0.2220
feb - 0.1874

I don't see a significant increase in price here and it seems to be falling, not increasing for q1 of 2018.

This guy's company offered a deal where you pay wholesale price + their set margin which is exactly what i would like but im stuck in contract with the company that seems to be ripping us off. If i could switch i would be have been paying 0.274 pence for LPG in feb, rather than the 0.47 pence i am currently paying.

Does anyone know of a way to get out of a contract when the supplier is obviously ripping you off and giving you miss information

Comments

• I can so empathise with you and I wish I had the answer to your question! I think we should all campaign to get these sharks regulated.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,847
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I think it's pretty clear that the LPG business is a racket. Sadly, politicians only seem interested in imposing gimmicky, headline-grabbing sugar taxes, plastic bag taxes and the rest, while planning for the happy day when they outlaw the use of LPG altogether.

I'm not optimistic that anything will be done unless there is serious pressure applied, perhaps via one of the newspapers. It might be better to try that route rather than wasting one's time with MPs.
  • stubuy
    stubuy Posts: 10 Forumite
    Please read my post in the 47kg forum before you start bandying about the words racket etc. It may inform you of a few things you weren't aware of when you made that rather presumptuous statement.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,847
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 7 September 2018 at 3:48PM
    stubuy wrote: »
    Please read my post in the 47kg forum before you start bandying about the words racket etc. It may inform you of a few things you weren't aware of when you made that rather presumptuous statement.

Let me guess, you are personally involved in the LPG business?

Before you start issuing instructions to read your posts, I suggest you read the posts from aggrieved (and mistreated) LPG users on this forum that have appeared over the years.

Nothing you have said even begins to address the OP's point.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure