Cheap airline seating

Comments

• OwenMc64
    OwenMc64 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 21 March 2018 at 1:59PM
    While I've yet to take the flight, I was able to book my seats for both legs of my return flight to Argentina for no extra charge when I made the original booking.

Now I didn't go for the bog-standard seating - I was checking in baggage, so that was included. From their website
    "Seat reservation is included in all tickets, except for LowFare, where all our extra services are optional."
  • kennymcc
    kennymcc Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    OK, this is slightly off-topic, but I need to ask!

I'm flying to the US in a couple of days, and I'm booked to fly economy with an Irish airline. The airline have a seat selector page on their website where you can select most economy seats for free or slightly nicer seats (probably a bit more legroom, but still in economy) for 20-odd quid. When I was trying to select my seat for the outward journey, the page looked slightly broken, and one the available seats (for the princely sum of £27) was in Business Class! Obviously I grabbed it (duh), but I'm slightly panicked now! Has anyone heard of such a thing? Are they likely to refuse to give me the seat? What if the flight is full? Can they kick me off?

When I look at my booking online, I'm still on an economy ticket, but the seat I've been allocated is definitely in Business Class (4G - I checked their seat maps). It's really weird.
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    A_Frayed_Knot Posts: 3,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 21 March 2018 at 1:57PM
    Have booked with the dreaded Ryanair, as flying solo last time, prebooked Priority because I wanted to take my luggage on the plane with me, they then gave me my seat no, which was an aisle seat. Perfect.

This time travelling +1, so wanted two seats together, and as usual we got different rows, different sides, and the middle seat for 1. Saw on the seat plan that there was an empty seat beside me, so accepted the two different seats, then went back in and changed the other seat to beside me, meaning we only paid for 1 booking reserved seat. (Hope that makes sense, to you all).

Would just like to mention as well, that we booked the holiday with On the Beach, if you reserve Priority and your seat, they were charging X4 the amount Ryanair were.

ps - Had to book seats on the way back, so I could print out my/our boarding passes, cause I'm a numpty when it comes to apps and internet on my phone.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • Brats64 wrote: »
    Hi,

Been reading the airline seating thread.
    Your No 7 tip states that you can choose your seats for free with Virgin Atlantic as soon as you book,as long as you are checking in baggage to the hold.
    We have used Virgin quite a few times to fly to the states,and they always want a fee for pre-booked seats.
    We have a trip booked with them to New York in May,and if I try to book seats,they want £30 per seat...how is that free?

I thought that as well and logged straight into Virgin but it was £30 a seat.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ivanka_A wrote: »
    Singapore Air do free seating allocation when you book.

Sadly, I'm pretty sure that changed earlier this year.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    kennymcc wrote: »

I'm flying to the US in a couple of days, and I'm booked to fly economy with an Irish airline. The airline have a seat selector page on their website where you can select most economy seats for free or slightly nicer seats (probably a bit more legroom, but still in economy) for 20-odd quid. When I was trying to select my seat for the outward journey, the page looked slightly broken, and one the available seats (for the princely sum of £27) was in Business Class! Obviously I grabbed it (duh), but I'm slightly panicked now! Has anyone heard of such a thing? Are they likely to refuse to give me the seat? What if the flight is full? Can they kick me off?

When I look at my booking online, I'm still on an economy ticket, but the seat I've been allocated is definitely in Business Class (4G - I checked their seat maps). It's really weird.

I've seen this happen before (on KLM, not Aer Lingus), and the passenger will be reallocated before check in. The chances of getting an upgrade are not nil, but as near as, so pick the seat you want to sit in (in economy), otherwise you'll end up wherever they put you.
  • Flying to Dubai on Sunday with Royal Brunei from Heathrow. They have let us select seats before check in with no charge. Also they were cheap to book originally. !!!55357;!!!56397;
  • Karob
    Karob Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi

I flew with partner to Trieste recently. Checked in the day before and were automatically allocated two middle seats one behind the other, in extra legroom rows. Two people travelling together boarded having checked in the morning of the flight and were allocated the adjacent window seats to us, again one behind the other. Of course we swapped, didn't ask the flight crew! On return we were allocated aisle seats 10 rows apart. Again two people travelling together had been allocated the middle seats next to ours. Again we swapped without asking! Safety is an issue. In emergency will partners try to find each other resulting in chaos?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,955 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    kennymcc wrote: »

Could it be a plane that has a second smaller cabin that is also economy but usually reserved for frequent flyers? Or it could be a plane change and the graphic hasn't caught up with itself yet.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Was on a Thomas Cook flight to Tunisia recently and the front row of seats were empty. When passengers attempted to sit in them they were informed by the steward that to do so they must pay £35. Needless to say all seats remained empty.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback