High Income Child Benefit Charge

Comments

• StevenO
    StevenO Posts: 17 Forumite
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    I suppose hmrc think that if you are capable of earning £50k p.a. you should be capable of behaving like an adult. Such sunny optimists.

"behaving like an adult"?

The OP has had a nasty surprise with the tax bill, something easily done if you have been PAYE all of your life and expect both the payroll department of your company and the tax man to have his house in order, seeing as both have accurate records of your earnings and contributions. It really shouldn't be an individuals responsibility to chase the tax man when they already have been presented with all of the information and facts.

And not everyone is interested in Tax, self employed, or dealing with other sources of income that warrant investigation into tax and or self assessment.

I imagine there have been quite a few people caught out by this.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It really shouldn't be an individuals responsibility to chase the tax man

It is the individual's responsibility to check that he is paying the correct amount of tax and to advise HMRC if he isn't.
    Same issue here, a four / five year old campaign or piece on the news that wasn't even relevant to me back then I can not be expected to recall.

You knew that there was legislation relating to CB and higher earners.

You ( your wife) claims CB.

You knew that your salary had increased - it was your responsibility to check whether or not you were affected.

Not having a car at the time MOT legislation was introduced and so being unaffected by the matter would not exempt you from remembering about it once you had a vehicle.
    From what I read the system is a shambles anyway. One person could earn 58k, and be the only earner in his household and have to pay it all back or his partner not be entitled to family allowance. Yet compare this to the couple next door earning 50k each having nearly double the income and they are still entitled to claim the full amount.

Post 9 - many people disagreed with the legislation.

But that is immaterial to the issue of personal responsibility for compliance.
  • StevenO

This part of your post would suggest you haven't understand how the High Income Child Benefit Charge actually works.

One person could earn 58k, and be the only earner in his household and have to pay it all back
  • There's plenty wrong with the UK tax system, but it's not "unfair" just because someone is too stupid to pay attention to their affairs and responsibilities.
  • fiisch
    fiisch Posts: 509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    StevenO wrote: »

From what I read the system is a shambles anyway. One person could earn 58k, and be the only earner in his household and have to pay it all back or his partner not be entitled to family allowance. Yet compare this to the couple next door earning 50k each having nearly double the income and they are still entitled to claim the full amount.

This really grinds my gears! I've just gone PAYE having been a contractor for a short period and on a salary of £59k. My wife will be part time (earning >£10k / year) when she returns from maternity leave, so we didn't bother claiming child benefit initially.

Then I realised that additional pension contributions would be deducted from my total, so I'm now claiming contributing 5% of my income via AVCs to reduce my take-home pay (makes sense as my employer does have a match scheme of sorts). I would contribute more but we can't afford to, as contrary to what the government thinks £59k is not a high income for a family in the south east.

So what is the process when the tax year ends? I'm supposed to register for self-assessment, fill out how much I've earned (presumably from my P60) and submit to the tax man, to be told how much I have to pay back?

Ironic that people who can afford to have kids and are of a generation which has already been stiffed for student loans now lose child benefit (especially when it's judged on individual as opposed to joint income), but that's a whole other conversation...!!
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,666 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    fiisch wrote: »
    This really grinds my gears! I've just gone PAYE having been a contractor for a short period and on a salary of £59k. My wife will be part time (earning >£10k / year) when she returns from maternity leave, so we didn't bother claiming child benefit initially.

Then I realised that additional pension contributions would be deducted from my total, so I'm now claiming contributing 5% of my income via AVCs to reduce my take-home pay (makes sense as my employer does have a match scheme of sorts). I would contribute more but we can't afford to, as contrary to what the government thinks £59k is not a high income for a family in the south east.

So what is the process when the tax year ends? I'm supposed to register for self-assessment, fill out how much I've earned (presumably from my P60) and submit to the tax man, to be told how much I have to pay back?

Ironic that people who can afford to have kids and are of a generation which has already been stiffed for student loans now lose child benefit (especially when it's judged on individual as opposed to joint income), but that's a whole other conversation...!!

You need to go to the GOV website and check what your adjusted net income is as that's the figure used to work out what child benefit needs paying back. It's sometimes worth claiming even if you are going to pay it all back, as if it's claimed in the name of the low paid or non-working parent it gives them NI credits towards the state pension.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Kynthia wrote: »
    You need to go to the GOV website and check what your adjusted net income is as that's the figure used to work out what child benefit needs paying back. It's sometimes worth claiming even if you are going to pay it all back, as if it's claimed in the name of the low paid or non-working parent it gives them NI credits towards the state pension.

You do not need to take the payments to receive the NI credit.

You can register for CB but not claim the money and you will be given NI credits until the yougest child is 12
  • Same thing has happened to me. I've been PAYE all my working life and over the last few years my wage has crept over the threshold. Now I receive a letter from my taxman saying I owe them money. I don't have a problem with that, however the letter also rather ominously lets me know there are penalties involved and I will have to pay them, though doesn't actually give me a figure.

I tried calling the phone number on the letter but there's no response; the phone isn’t being picked up. Does anyone know how best to get in contact with them? How should I proceed?

I know it's my fault, "ignorance is no defence", etc, but I am surprised they will be charging me for two years worth of late payments when I wasn't even aware of the debt. This is the kind of behaviour you'd expect from a loan shark ;(

Many thanks in advance
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Try before 8 am.

I have to say that I believe some HR departments are seriously failing here. They know that HMRC are refusing to notify people they know should be filing self assessment. A good HR/payroll dept could easily put a short message in the P60 envelope to remind their employees what they may need to do. It certainly isn't rocket science.

We all must remember that the country is in dire need of people to pay these penalties & it helps HMRC get a little closer to their targets. I mean heaven forbid they should go for the likes of google, ordinary people are much easier targets.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure