Taste Card Auto-renewal

Comments

• miller
    miller Posts: 1,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    I had a tastecard for a year, but as it was purchased as a gift I did not have to go through all the renewal rigmarole.

It worked better at big chains, independents seemed to hate it. A waitress I know said she and her colleagues despised the customers who came in to use it. Some places tried to present a full price bill despite fulfiling the booking terms etc. For me it just was not worth the hassle, plus all the restrictions surrounding weekends.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    miller wrote: »
    ....independents seemed to hate it. A waitress I know said she and her colleagues despised the customers who came in to use it.....
    I bet the waitress' boss doesn't "hate it" - he chose to accept them!

I think staff will take a dim view as tastecard holders = cheapskates as far as tipping (on the full bill, not the discounted final bill) goes!
  • Hi

After just posting my experience with this, I have just seen this thread and would recommend that you contact trading standards by calling 03454 04 05 06 and report them.

Scott
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Sounds like one for watchdog..
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Sounds like a company which would be a fruitful line of investigation for Moneysaving Expert or the BBC's watchdog to investigate.

Have any of their 3 month introductory offers been suugested by the MSE site in the past? I have a feeling they may have been.
  • Okay, so I've just been stung by this.

My card is due to expire on the 19th Dec. Today is the 17th. On the 15th I had an email to say I'd been charged £39.99 renewal. That was the first I'd heard of it.

I emailed the same day (15th) to say I didn't want to renew. No reply.

I tried to use the online 'cancellation' tool - it said I couldn't as it had already renewed.

Today, I rang and spoke to them. They've refused to cancel my membership, hiding behind their T&C's.

Technically, according to their T&C's, they've got me. It says about them renewing 4 days before your card expires.

However, what I have issue with is:
    1. They said they email three weeks before renewal to say they'll be automatically charging - I have never received that (of course, their T&C's say they're not liable if you don't receive)
    2. When they emailed on the 15th, they took payment even though my current membership hadn't expired. They say this is "to make sure you're able to use the benefits of tastecard" - rubbish!
    3. They make a technical distinction between expiry and renewal. To most normal people, they're the same. In the MSE guidance it wasn't clear to me there was a difference.
    4. When you look at the way that insurance companies work, it's important they have continuous renewal, but even they (if I'm recalling this right) allow you to cancel right up to the point of the policy starting.

I think it's ludicrous that a 'membership' card has effectively forced me to be a member of them for 12 months even though I've tried to cancel 4 days before my current card expires!
  • Tastecard ..

Has anyone successfully taken these people through a "small claims" ...

I am thinking of doing so - anyone interested in joining in?

I tried to cancel my membership over the Xmas (closed - no ansamachine) ... and I didn't receive a cancellation email ... etc etc ...

Am happy to do myself though ...
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Tastecard ..

Has anyone successfully taken these people through a "small claims" ...

I am thinking of doing so - anyone interested in joining in?

I tried to cancel my membership over the Xmas (closed - no ansamachine) ... and I didn't receive a cancellation email ... etc etc ...

Am happy to do myself though ...

Did you follow the right process to cancel ?
  • I took up the £1 offer. I've used Tastecard before so I knew about the auto-renewal. I cancelled online a month before the card expired and thought that was that. Unfortunately, they charged me yesterday and refuse to do anything about it. As I didn't get a cancellation email, they maintain that I must have done something wrong in the process and not cancelled it. I know I cancelled it.

I opened a dispute with Paypal as an unauthorised transaction, but Paypal concluded that it wasn't unauthorised and will not do anything about it.

I called my bank who cancelled the DD with Paypal and the back-up card I used was a pre-paid currency card that doesn't have the £29.99 on it.

Does anybody have any advice? I'm annoyed because before, there was every possibility I would have become a member again in the future or purchased a gift membership. After this, I'll never do business with them again.
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    My membership is up for renewal and I've had two emails in the last month to remind me that it will be auto-renewed unless I cancelled AND the messages outlined how to cancel too.

I don't see what the problem is.
    :hello:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport