Taste Card Auto-renewal

Hi All,
My taste card has just auto-renewed itself, although I wasn't planning on having it for another year and had no idea it would do that. Is that legal? can anyone advise? I called them up but was told it was tough!

Ideas??

Thanks,
Becky

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    It is in their ts + cs which you will have agreed when first getting the card
  • fiscalfreckles
    fiscalfreckles Posts: 2,398 Forumite
    A slightly different issue for me; I've had a 3 month trial for £1 and was fully aware that if I do not cancel, I will be charged for a further membership.

However, I can't cancel! Their phone lines are either not working or engaged. I have been trying to get through for 4 days and at the end of today I can see they will say I have not contacted them and take the payment (they have my card details from the £1 offer.)

I know many people say they weren't aware, or they didn't see the reminder emails but I was and I did, but still feel this is a total scam as even if you are very careful and follow all the rules, they make it impossible to cancel.

I have tried emailing too but just get an auto reply saying will be dealt with in up to 5 days. By which time it will be too late.

Never again. Hardly used it anyway.
  • rich13348
    rich13348 Posts: 840 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Cancel your card. Its a bit of a pain but it will stop the charge of £70
  • fiscalfreckles
    rich13348 wrote: »
    Cancel your card. Its a bit of a pain but it will stop the charge of £70

Bit drastic! I can't really, I need it for other things.
  • LadyBones
    LadyBones Posts: 21 Forumite
    I've also spent the whole afternoon unable to cancel my Tastecard trial as the only phone numbers for the company are permanently engaged. I also contacted Taste via their website and emails. In the end I rang my bank and cancelled the card authorisation, hopefully that will kick in in time to avoid making the payment tomorrow. However, in my frustration at being able to find a working number I pretended to be a restaurant wanting to sign up via the contact form on the website and guess what? They called back within the hour! Having said that, when I came clean to Bethany in the call centre and she put me through to the "right department" they then dropped the call. And when I called Bethany back again she promised to email my details through to the "right department". Maybe it will work... for anyone else in frustration this number will at least be answered by a human: 01618 831194 - good luck.
  • fiscalfreckles
    Interesting LadyBones! They are terrible. I tried on Twitter; they just told me to email.

Anyway, to update, I was charged yesterday ater failing to get through on the phone for days and having sent several emails, only some of which elicited auto replies (I am yet to get an actual reply).
    However, I realised that I had initially paid via PayPal, and a complaint to them that I had not authorised the second transaction resulted in them re-funding my account within a couple of hours.
    Meanwhile, Tastecard have emailed to say my new card is on the way, Muppets...
  • Interesting LadyBones! They are terrible. I tried on Twitter; they just told me to email.

Anyway, to update, I was charged yesterday ater failing to get through on the phone for days and having sent several emails, only some of which elicited auto replies (I am yet to get an actual reply).
    However, I realised that I had initially paid via PayPal, and a complaint to them that I had not authorised the second transaction resulted in them re-funding my account within a couple of hours.
    Meanwhile, Tastecard have emailed to say my new card is on the way, Muppets...

I did that too fiscalfreckles and PayPal were fantastic. I told the guy I spoke to that I had been constantly trying to ring and email them but they were ignoring me. He popped me on hold for a few mins came back and gave me a full refund. I told him it had happened to others and to have a look on their Twitter and Facebook to see all the angry posts. He said it sounded like a scam with the contact numbers not working etc and he will be investigating it further.
    I've learned my lesson here....if something's too good to be true then it probably is!!! Never Signing up to one of these again!!!!
  • Maddybee33
    Maddybee33 Posts: 91 Forumite
    I have also just found this out the hard way.
    I have just been on the phone to the bank, after speaking to Paypal they advised me to get my bank to block payment, which I've found out that they can't do.
    I'm so upset, it's 'only' £30, but I really need that money at this point in my life. Tastecard wasn't any good anyway, you can't even use it on weekends.
  • fiscalfreckles
    Maddybee33 wrote: »
    I have also just found this out the hard way.
    I have just been on the phone to the bank, after speaking to Paypal they advised me to get my bank to block payment, which I've found out that they can't do.
    I'm so upset, it's 'only' £30, but I really need that money at this point in my life. Tastecard wasn't any good anyway, you can't even use it on weekends.

Try putting in a claim online with Paypal, that's all I did and they refunded it within a few hours. I just said that I had not authorised the transaction and Tastecard were uncontactable.
  • fiscalfreckles
    Oh -and I finally got a reply from tastecard saying thank you for my email but they prefer people to cancel over the phone!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback