Millionaire Challenge

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    austing wrote: »
    Looks like you're right on track Karma. I just hope I could come as close to what you have right now.
    Thank you, austing! I have a lot of irons in the fire, but none of the ones I've been trying to set up have actually *earned* anything yet :o thats quite important to remember! I've repeated my list below, and put a few comments in, in bold:

- building the stencils and the knitted moggies is going slowly.
    These are meant to for designs that can be sold online, whether they go on cards, mousemats, t shirts, whatever. I haven't actually completed any designs yet, but I have a lot of ideas :D
    - counselling work slowing down even further.
    This is my main job, and I've been doing it for about 25 years now - it used to be a lot busier, so I *do* have some savings behind me, its true. Of course, having been doing a 2nd career for such a long time also means I'm quite old, probably quite a bit older than you :o you've got time!
    - I've had a first practice at matched betting, will *try* to do a real one tomorrow, but I haven't even funded Betfair properly, so thats probably not possible right now.
    There's a whole subsection on the mse forum about matched betting, start to read up on it - of all the things we can faff around with on mse, thats the one where you really can get £1k in a year, at a good rate per hour, while sitting at your computer. Needs work, and understanding, but it can definitely be done.
    - I'm back writing the book - up to 22,000 words now :) and its been so long I'd actually forgotten how much I enjoy it.
    Writing isn't for everybody, but I do like it. I go on a bit too, mind ;)
    - my lossmaker, the French apartment - I successfully paid my French taxes online today! I can't tell you how long this took, and it was a begging letter to my French accountant that gave me the proper linkie to do it. She's a genius, that woman :rotfl: Its important to me to be able to do it online, I'll be much more mobile in the future, its cheaper, when you *can* do it, its quicker, and I can avoid the flu thats probably even now breeding in post offices up and down the land :rotfl:
    Yes, I own an apartment in France - but note that its a lossmaker! I've owned it for 9 years, and each year its cost me about £3k. Its never, ever made a profit, I was mad to buy it, I didn't do my homework, and I paid for it.

So thats me! Where are you at, what are you aiming for, do you have an idea?
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Ahh glad the writing is coming on ;) I did PM night about doing my youtube video but with her idea, I personally am youtubing make up /hair videos myself atm purely for wedding stuff atm.

LL ~ I would say it would be fair for a reasonable wage, even if a tad cheaper on the basis they would be getting valuable skills from it. If you are looking for a local cleaner I would suggest an ad on Gumtree in your local area, I am sure you will pick up a goody.

The supplier ~ I wish I could say I will never use them again but my new supplier never got back to my e-mail (but I can still buy direct of them for £178 even so but not combined postage) I had a look earlier again at the 2nd listing of the first I e-mailed who had 1000 at £176 (just to point out they have changed the 1st listing to £208 after my enquiry..)

Well I just happened to notice they were selling 100 at £16.98!!...so I had to do it...I brought '20' 100 P2...which meant 2000 P2 for just under 17p each which is less then the 17.8p I would of paid normally, and his 'direct' price for 10,000 was 17.5 p each....so cheaper then a bulk order of 10,000.

To think if they had just sorted me out, I would of been a repeat customer ordering 2-5k a month...AND they would of made an extra £30 alone just by avoiding eBay charges on this transaction.

I still wish I didn't have to use them now BUT at 17p each...I'm not going to get it cheaper. I have found yet another company that is more expensive for 100...but they sell 10,000 for 14p + VAT which works out at 16.8p..so last resort at least I am still getting them cheaper that way and their is always china.

Sorry I'm rambling again.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • Kay I didn't get any pm's if you meant me, I like readin g your ramblings anyway :) it's great to see progress.

My own progress is slow but getting there, paid of 1 debt/bill.
    Started my part time job and should be getting paid Friday.
    Not been motivated to do clixsense last week, but hopefully next week I can get my motivation up.

Still pondering the tutorial idea, because I will need to find a way to record it, which I don't have at the mo, I am determined to have a passive income idea that I can implement in Jan though, so i'll see how it goes.
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • Kayalana99
    Oh. It was just basically to say about my idea with youtube videos is quite easily done with hair make up tutorials, and I mentioned pixiwoo for ideas if you havn't heard already of her.

They probably use about 10-20 make up products in their videos then leave a list of them at the bottom of the video with affiliate links to the make up (affiliate link FYI means they get a percentage of the sale) so not only getting the advertising £££ but the % of the sales of make up.
  • Kay that is a really Good idea, will have to investigate.

I was thinking of doing my tutorial on installing a full head and half head weave, still thinking though.

I have Just had a delivery of my brand new computerised sewing machine! I'm chuffed,bbut I have a cold or flu, so won't play with it today, as I feel dreadful and I need to get an attachment first, but now I can start working on my clothing line! Which will be my main earner hopefully.

Just to concentrate on a few bills I need to clear.

How's everyone doing?
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • Kayalana99
    Our signatures have all gone wonky!

Nothing much to update, I was sat wondering where all my money had gone and realised I had 2,500 of P2 alone which is about £425 worth...so yea that was easy to figure out. Not really sure how that happened.

Bad news on children front that MIL has got a new job for Christmas so I am losing a few hours child care on a Thursday :( Think this week will be the last she has them. She did offer Saturdays for a couple hours but as my OH is here anyway it does not help (plus Sat is our only day that is 100% ours due to work and family commitment so I am not keen)

Oh well...I have a few new products listed and making more, got my buzz atm so shall carry on while I do. Still not sold any of my new product (I lie my Dad ordered 40, but eBay sale wise nothing ..but to be fair I haven't listed many.)
  • CEW
    CEW Posts: 407 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Kayalana99 wrote: »
    Our signatures have all gone wonky!

Nothing much to update, I was sat wondering where all my money had gone and realised I had 2,500 of P2 alone which is about £425 worth...so yea that was easy to figure out. Not really sure how that happened.

Bad news on children front that MIL has got a new job for Christmas so I am losing a few hours child care on a Thursday :( Think this week will be the last she has them. She did offer Saturdays for a couple hours but as my OH is here anyway it does not help (plus Sat is our only day that is 100% ours due to work and family commitment so I am not keen)

Oh well...I have a few new products listed and making more, got my buzz atm so shall carry on while I do. Still not sold any of my new product (I lie my Dad ordered 40, but eBay sale wise nothing ..but to be fair I haven't listed many.)

Long time lurker here. Been reading the thread from the start but have not posted before.

Just popped in to say that signatures have gone a bit odd due to some lovely people trying to disrupt the site. Aparantly if you go into edit signature and save it, no need to actually change anything it will revert back to normal. My signature was not affected but this is the resolution some people on other forums are finding works.

Whilst I'm here I would just like to say you are all doing great at keeping yourselves and each other motivated.

Chez x
    That money talks I don't deny, I heard it once, it said "Goodbye"
  • Morning lovely people

Thought it was about time that I checked in. Love the discussion about youtube videos I am finding so many helpful videos on youtube for when I get stuck its such a great resource.

I have been working hard trying to sort out suppliers. Domestically I have found 2 and possibly a 3rd which I should be able to firm up in the next couple of days and if so I shall start placing product orders. Overseas which is eventually the way I need to go is proving much harder no success at all either don't stock what I need, don't reply or I can't get in touch with them so that's an area I need to keep plugging
    away at.
    In the middle of the logo design process much harder than I imagined but progress being made so hopefully sorted soon.

I have also started a fb page for the charity I am a trustee of which I want to support through my business as the website is poor and I don't have access to the back end I need somewhere to show customers what the charity is about and I am pleased with the progress so far. Not sure why I had not done it before as it is so easy to do.

I have also received an invite to take a stall at a Christmas fair so definitely need to have stock, website and business cards sorted by then really pleased as the customers are definitely my target market :)

Hope all is well with everyone

DTxx
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sounds good, DT. How are you contacting the overseas peeps? I had to speak with my French bank a few days ago, and used the international call checker on the main site here to find a cheap way of doing it - cost me 0.5p per minute, which was brilliant.

Kaya, what CEW said about the sigs is bang on - just delete a comma, put it back, and your normal sig will return.

I've got a lurgy, feel very low in energy. "Luckily" I don't have any paid work today, but this is why I'm focussing on images, not blinging up cat collars - I get so that all I can do is heat some pasta and put the dishwasher on later :( still I'm on the supplements and the echinacea, we'll see how long this acute phase takes to go.

Hope all's well elsewhere.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Good morning all.

Great stuff DT. A Christmas stall can be a good money earner.

Karma - sorry you have a lurgy. Hope you feel better soon.

I've had a few back problems this week so have taken things a bit easier. Making good steady progress though on Prop 2, nearly there.

I have also been having a money sort out and finally finished all the paperwork appertaining to my husband's estate. I've just got to write some thank you letters for the charitable donations and then I think that's it. I also picked up my husband's ashes the other day, and Social Services picked up the last of his disability equipment. It all seems very final now.

I've had a little look around for Prop 3 but nothing is screaming "Buy me, buy me" so I've had to make some decisions on what to do with the lump sum of money that's languishing in my bank account doing nothing. I need to put that money to work;)

So I've been investigating new accounts and am now ready to start switching. Given that savings rates are still poor I have "invested" some money in Premium Bonds. Who knows, it might pay off and although there is no interest, at least the "gamble" is risk free.

Today's quotation.

Every small improvement moves you toward success.

Today I'm having a day off, early dinner with a friend and then off to the cinema.

Have a great day.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure