Virgin media doubling speeds new router needed?

Options
DaveG247
DaveG247 Posts: 398 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
evening,

Ok so this maybe a stupid question but got an e-mail regarding VM doubling their internet speeds in our area, and wondered if it makes any difference what wifi router I've got, and if this would affect the speed upgrade.

Currently on 10MB on a netgear WGR614v7.

Thanks

Comments

• Figment
    Figment Posts: 2,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    VirginMedia supply a new SuperHub (combined cable modem and router) free of charge on some, if not all, packages (assuming you're on VM Cable)
    How do I add a signature?
  • DaveG247
    DaveG247 Posts: 398 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ah, thanks was not aware of that
  • fenlander_uk
    fenlander_uk Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your Netgear router should cope fine with speeds up to about 25mb/s, so you should not need to upgrade. For 30mb/s and over, VM will provide you with a superhub.
  • andy2004
    andy2004 Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    Options
    yesterday phoned virginmedia as their website says that my free upgrade was in march/april, and was told that I had had the upgrade, I phoned up to get a better deal, lol, as my year was up. and what a crock i got.

did a speedtest this morning and i'm getting 10mb, 1940750717.png
    just waiting to see what my slow speed is which is normally around 2mb,
    after speaking yesterday to the cancellation department all i got offered was a reduction in cost from £31 to £24.60, I asked about adding tv basic and I would have had to kept paying £31 but as all my tv's have freeview built in I said no thanks. This is when he told me my broadband speed was doubled, i replied well sunday i did a speedcheck and it was 10mb his reply "it must have been done on monday". well i can tell them now its NOT. i didnt go online on monday or tuesday.
    but he is "sending me out a new combi router modem", which i have to install myself. which i thought THEY had to do.
    just been here http://store.virginmedia.com/bundles/our-collections.html and checked out some of the prices, my service is P***poor in comparison.
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    andy2004 wrote: »
    yesterday phoned virginmedia as their website says that my free upgrade was in march/april, and was told that I had had the upgrade, I phoned up to get a better deal, lol, as my year was up. and what a crock i got.

did a speedtest this morning and i'm getting 10mb, 1940750717.png
    just waiting to see what my slow speed is which is normally around 2mb,
    after speaking yesterday to the cancellation department all i got offered was a reduction in cost from £31 to £24.60, I asked about adding tv basic and I would have had to kept paying £31 but as all my tv's have freeview built in I said no thanks. This is when he told me my broadband speed was doubled, i replied well sunday i did a speedcheck and it was 10mb his reply "it must have been done on monday". well i can tell them now its NOT. i didnt go online on monday or tuesday.
    but he is "sending me out a new combi router modem", which i have to install myself. which i thought THEY had to do.
    just been here http://store.virginmedia.com/bundles/our-collections.html and checked out some of the prices, my service is P***poor in comparison.

No they don't. VM will only install the router to the cable connection initially,set up on the PC is down to the customer which is why it's a DIY job,same as all the other ISP's.
    VM do,or did when I was there,offer 'Managed Installs' initially but you pay extra for that.
    Reason you install it yourself is the VM installers are not PC engineers,so if they installed it fully & something went wrong,then they'd be liable,which is why it's a DIY.
    I once investigated a claim for my manager like that,went out to the customer to find the PC was Win 95,with no Ethernet or USB & an incompatable OS.....
  • fenlander_uk
    fenlander_uk Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 May 2012 at 4:57PM
    Options
    Have you tried more than one server with Speedtest? Performance can vary a lot and it may not be your connection that's the problem, it could be the server that can't handle the traffic.

In particular, since being upgraded from 30mb/s to 60mb/s I've noticed that a lot of the servers used by Speedtest are unable to test at the higher speeds. The BT tester (here) may be a better option.

EDIT: I just checked out the Bournemouth server and it seems fine up to 60mb/s.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    if your service is poor then complain,
  • andy2004
    edited 10 May 2012 at 4:28PM
    Options
    actually i was refering to their cable and the connection to the new hub, not from the hub to the computer, after all if there is a problem with the cable/connector ie interference on the line requiring something to reduce it which is the reason i cant actually get the 20mb then a engineer would have to fix it.
    at the moment they are the saying the modem is capable of 20mb, however did another test and still under 10mb connection, could it be my router? its also a vm router, given to me by my brother as his tv sender unit was interfering with the wireless, DIR-615 model.

Thanks for the other tester fenlander but thats also showing as under 10mb.
    I dont really want to disconnect the router as it stops the attacks which my antivirus/firewall show

disconnected my old router DIR-615 which was supplied to my brother by VM but interfered with his tv sender unit so he gave it to me, to see if that would increase my internet speed as they VM have told me i'm getting 20mb, well NO, rechecked and still 10mb well 9.86mb this morning which is now getting under 2mb, so much for DOUBLING my speed. Guess it time to phone them aholes up and ask why, and as i was told i would get a new router/modem which I would have assume would have arrived today. guess I could still leave even though I over the phone agree with the new lower payment contract, as they have broken the contract with me, they say there end shows i'm getting 20mb, well speedtest.net says 9.86, the modem they supplied years ago is connected directly to the pc, not through the router, i've already had the modem off for 4hrs this morning, i work up at 7am due to my computer rebooting itself which its never done before, which i also googled this morning and seems a lot of people are getting the same problem. either hardware or driver fault. but anyway after 4hrs of being turned off and disconnected still only getting 10mb max getting annoyed.
    so break down, no 20mb instead max 10mb, currently being throttled down to 2mb, 1/10th the speed, no new modem/router, would any of you say that breaks the new contract, and would you be happy paying £24.60 a month for that + anytime phone calls to 01 02 03 numbers, oh and no basic tv included or vivo.

talk of the devil, just had a note put through the door, seems YODEL couldnt deliver my parcel, well as i'm only expecting a modem/router from VM, i guess it was that, shame i have to phone the back as the idiot in the VAN hasnt updated the status. So i cant go and pick it up.
  • Figment
    Figment Posts: 2,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    1954858604.png
    How do I add a signature?
  • andy2004
    edited 16 May 2012 at 10:45PM
    Options
    another minor update, just found out via community.virginmedia.com/ what the error code 0070 actually means.
    its stuck behind THEIR firewall or as someone else put it
    i think i recall 0070 is a code saying that it is stuck in the walled garden (firewall) and needs releasing into the wild

you need to call tech support on 150 (free from a vm landline) option 2,3,2 and ask if it is stuck in the walled garden
    and that it takes upto 10days for them to do it.
    totalling disgusting that it takes virgin media this amount of time to do anything about it.
    thank god i'm leaving them 13 June.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport