Carpet cleaning - hire or buy equipment?

Comments

• pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    tonny001 wrote: »
    1. Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional Upright NV356E 30 ft. cor
    2. Hoover Linx Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner - BH50010 Cordless
    3. Miele Compact C1 Pure Suction Canister Vacuum Approx. 20 ft. cord
    The discussion is about carpet cleaners rather than vacuum cleaners thanks - the sort that spray a cleaning solution into the carpet and suction the dirty liquid away (but I do like Miele).
  • I bought a Rug Doctor last year and would recommend it.

It's highly effective in its cleaning and easy to use, (I buy the solutions easily too) easy to store as it folds down, and despite being cumbersome it's easy to manoeuvre.
    In my own opinion it was worth the money.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 January at 9:20PM
    Catsacor wrote: »
    I bought a Rug Doctor last year and would recommend it.

It's highly effective in its cleaning and easy to use, (I buy the solutions easily too) easy to store as it folds down, and despite being cumbersome it's easy to manoeuvre.
    In my own opinion it was worth the money.
    Thanks. Can I ask which model and is there a tool for stairs?
  • This one https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8141521
    It comes with hand tools but I've not used mine.

I bought this as when I moved into my house, 18 months ago, I didn't want to buy all new carpets immediately, all the carpets here were grime-y and stained and desperately needing renewing but - they were still functional so I chose to clean them and then buy a new carpet as I decorated each room.

The filth that came up from the old carpets was staggering, quite revolting infact.
    I cleaned the carpets once a month for the first few months and the machine has paid for itself now, plus, I have friends and neighbours who were so impressed that I rent it out to them for a day or two at a time !!!
    (I supply the cleaning solution with it so they're not tempted to use another liquid - the warranty won't cover it if different cleaning fluids are used).

By the way, the actual cleaner only came with a small container of fluid at time of purchase so you'll need to buy a larger size for ongoing use.
  • UncleZen
    UncleZen Posts: 825 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I recently bought a Bissell Instaclean wash for about £100, it's very good at cleaning carpets but there is a technique to learn to avoid leaving stripes (apparently this is common with other cleaners aswell) . It's no good for stairs though as it doesn't have any attachments. On reflection, I should have spent more and got a cleaner with attachments for stair carpets.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,373 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    One of my daughters spotted a Bissel machine with a stair attachment advertised for £100, we negotiated it down to £90 and split the cost 3 ways. Slightly annoying that last time we lent it out it got broken, but the spare part required cost £3 (£7 delivered) and was easy to fit, I was impressed at how reasonable spares were so would consider that too before buying one.

Chemical wise not done too bad so far, 5 ltr tubs is the way to go.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Mother of teenagers & thanking gods frequently for a Vax. Manages the basic Hoovering (yes, stairs can be a two person job) but also swaps into carpet cleaning without a great deal of extra fuss, & since I'm on their mailing list I get to see when the latest version comes up cheap.

I get the fluids form Costco.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Bought a Bissel recon cleaner from bissel agent about 15 years ago. Still going strong for our twice a year carpet clean and Daughters rental properties. For the once every two or three year clean I would advise renting one from the likes of Tesco etc.
  • For me, hire a carpet cleaning services is better. Because they offer an excellent and quite affordable as well.
  • I don't buy the carpet cleaner but I cleaned getting clean my carpet to professional. I would be better for you to buy carpet cleaning machine it would be highly effective and easy to use. So all the best for this you could also get more about this at carpet cleaning Squamish their professional could guide you well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure