The Great 'Clever ordering techniques... eg, "double cheeseburger with Big Mac ' Hunt

Comments

• Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    MrOrchard wrote: »
    Great ideas, already doing some of them such as the rice, but the others are fantastic, shame Starbucks coffee is so horrible though ;)

I know, not the best coffee, but it fills a caffeine craving gap, and the iced one is not too bad as a refreshing drink. I would not bother to have espresso on its own!

Many people love them though!

Speaking of which: this week Grazia mag has a voucher for a free Starbucks salad, and the mag which is normally £1.95 is also only £1. So, for £1 you get mag AND lunch. The salads are usually quite nice, I gave the voucher to DH as I am a SAHM and make my own lunches, he needs it more.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Caterina
    Forumite
    Another one: lunches at IKEA, not been for a few months so not sure if updated. If you ask for children's lunches instead of adults, you get a drink and fruit included and often they are not much smaller than a normal portion. It used to be that two children meatball meals had more meatballs and were cheaper together than a single adult portion.

And: if you travel on the motorway (or have the cheek of the devil and can do this anywhere), why pay extortionate prices for a cup of tea? Have a tea bag in your wallet/handbag pocket, then ask for a cup of hot water at fast food restaurants. The staff never know whether you are already a customer or not and anyway for the most part they are underpaid disgruntled teenagers who could not give a fig about company profits! Conversely, if you really want a nice cuppa in a china cup, always give business to local individual tea rooms, goes without saying.
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    I-LOV-MONEY Posts: 1,267
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Those of you going to Starbucks for coffee will find it much cheaper in your local cafe !
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • Caterina
    Forumite
    And even cheaper at home, but that's not the point, the point is about people who DO like going to Starbucks! How they can save money THERE!

I can't believe that you can get espresso for much less than £1.45, not in London at least!
  • I order a footlong sub at subway and share it. Much cheaper than two 6". You just have to agree on the flavour!
  • katep23
    katep23 Posts: 1,406
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    coolster1 wrote: »
    I actually stopped boiling my own rice since I got hooked on instant microwaveable rice!

I absolutely adore Veetee's peri-peri and pilau rice. The cheapest you can find them is between 85p-£1. Aldi and Iceland only stock the plain or pilau rice, peri-peri I'd buy during the various multibuy promos all year round at the big supermarkets.

Yes, it's more expensive than making your own, but it's cheaper than takeaway rice :D

If you have access to a Costco, they often do the basmati and pilau rice on offer, 6 for around £3.50 :D
  • vikpaw
    vikpaw Posts: 38 Forumite
    Nandos have a loyalty card that you get stamped with every purchase of 6 quid or over.
    However, you can only get one stamp per day.

If you go with a group, this means you could spend way over the minimum money and only earn one stamp.

It's much better to get each individual a loyalty card and order and pay for all meals separately. For the most part it will arrive at the same time, plus you're getting closer to free food at 4 times the rate (for a group of 4).

You have to make sure you're ordering the minimum which should be easy enough.

People shy away from this because of the rule that you cannot stamp the same card again that day, but if you split up the group you can all earn rewards on separate cards.

Then after visit 3 for example all of the group will have earnt a free quarter chicken.

6 visits = half chicken, and 10 = a whole chicken (best value) and can be shared with the group.

It's great if you go often. Combine with a trip to the cinema on Wednesdays - awesome. :)
    :exclamatiSpeed is irrelevant; if you are going in the wrong direction:exclamati
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Those of you going to Starbucks for coffee will find it much cheaper in your local cafe !
    Caterina wrote: »
    And even cheaper at home, but that's not the point, the point is about people who DO like going to Starbucks! How they can save money THERE!

I can't believe that you can get espresso for much less than £1.45, not in London at least!

It's a fair point that I-LOV-MONEY makes. Starbucks produce a completely tasteless (and overpriced) coffee, and - quite apart from their aggressive tax avoidance, which deprives the UK Treasury and the NHS of income - it's difficult to see why anyone would go there. Most people have to pay far, far more than the £1.45 you quote - usually well over £2.

And they even have the cheek to serve their tasteless coffee in paper cups!

There's almost always a cheaper and better alternative to Starbucks. And one that doesn't cheat the UK out of tax to profit its shareholders! :)
  • vikpaw wrote: »
    Nandos have a loyalty card that you get stamped with every purchase of 6 quid or over.
    However, you can only get one stamp per day.

If you go with a group, this means you could spend way over the minimum money and only earn one stamp.

It's much better to get each individual a loyalty card and order and pay for all meals separately. For the most part it will arrive at the same time, plus you're getting closer to free food at 4 times the rate (for a group of 4).

You have to make sure you're ordering the minimum which should be easy enough.

People shy away from this because of the rule that you cannot stamp the same card again that day, but if you split up the group you can all earn rewards on separate cards.

Then after visit 3 for example all of the group will have earnt a free quarter chicken.

6 visits = half chicken, and 10 = a whole chicken (best value) and can be shared with the group.

It's great if you go often. Combine with a trip to the cinema on Wednesdays - awesome. :)

And if you work for the NHS ....Take your ID and get 20% off... :)
    :jTo be Young AGAIN!!!!...what a wonderfull thought!!!!!:rolleyes:
  • Evening all!

If you get a mywaitrose card (in store) you get a free coffee every day. I use it in Canary Wharf Waitrose and it's great!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure