Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 4th Dec 17, 9:37 AM
    • 913Posts
    • 3,059Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Drawing a line under the debt. Take two.
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:37 AM
    Drawing a line under the debt. Take two. 4th Dec 17 at 9:37 AM
    So, I can't believe that I haven't updated my diary since the end of march. So much has happened in that time I feel a fresh new one is better. Here is the link to my previous one.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585379

So what has happened. Well my husband FINALLY got a job! He was made redundant in April 2016 and started a new role in June 2017. In that time I was holding down two part time jobs so that we could pay the mortgage and bills and in that time I also made a bit of a dent in the debt we owed. The role he got was originally a six month contract through an agency so we were obviously concerned for the future, but within a month he was invited to apply for a full time position and got it. So since the end of September he has been back in a permanent role, and we have no concern that he won't pass his probationary period which is up just after Xmas. The job is also with a very good company, and he gets a discount card for two shops so that is great too. The only downside is that he has to take two trains to get there which is about 300 a month and he is only on what he was on in his previous job, but due to our finances being in much better shape now it is doable.

I started YNAB in Oct 16 and have used it very carefully for the past year. I adore it and plan to keep it forever

So what has been happening to the debt. Last time I was here I had cleared our big loan due to wanting to avoid having too much in savings because of a massive mistake by the job centre with my husband's JSA claim. He signed off the week after the interview we had with them and I was planning to xfer the child benefit to his name for his NI to be paid but then he landed the job. We have heard nothing from them at all. I still think they may try to claw back the money that we received that we shouldn't have and of course if that happens we will dispute it as we didn't lie or omit anything, it was a massive error in their part, but we will pay money back if we have to. But nothing, not a word at all

I had managed to get the debt down from 22k to 17k with aggressive debt payments but in may I received a decent sized inheritance from a family member. Enough to buy a new (to us) car (mine finally died in early September at 17yrs old) clear 10k of debt and do some of the much needed home improvements. The reason I didn't clear all the debts was that we would have been left with nothing at all for the home improvements (and I was bored of having half a kitchen and no bath) and our back fence fell down in July so we have had a lovely new back fence out up, and am getting the back garden landscaped, had a new bathroom put in, finished the kitchen (apart from tiling, need to save for this) plastered the rest of the house, and had some new carpets out in. The relative that left the money was huge on owning your own property and I felt I needed to use some of the money to add value to the house. There is still stuff to do and I am saving for that now.

So our debt stands at about 8k total. One loan and one interest free credit card. My go going forward is to not add to that and clear the credit card within the time limit.

This coming year we are planning two big holidays so everything spare is going towards that, I need 3500 by the end of march, I have 1000 towards that already but debt busting will be taking a bit of a backseat while I get all this money together.

Personally, I have quit one of my jobs. Once we knew my husband was employed full time by the company we looked at the finances and due to some quite serious issues our smallest child is having ongoing at school, we decided it was important that I was home more in the evening. Also the company that took us over a year ago are a shocking company to work for so the decision was an easy one to make and I quit my evening job. I miss it so much, it was a job I adored and I loved most of the people I worked with. But it was right for us as a family. So now I am self employed school hours, mon-fri, which is hard work. I get no time to myself and feel I am constantly playing catch up at home, but it needed to be done. The smallest boy did improve quite a bit after I finished work, but this past week has had a huge backslide again

Anyway enough about me now, I am off to catch up on the diaries I used to follow to see what everyone has been up to. So pleased to be back
Page 15
    • ChasingSunshine
    • By ChasingSunshine 23rd Oct 19, 11:08 AM
    • 197 Posts
    • 1,247 Thanks
    ChasingSunshine
    Oh no! Get well soon. I hope your pain is under control now.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 23rd Oct 19, 9:18 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 3,059 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Spent most of the day sleeping on and off. Managed to wash and dress (although it was an interesting outfit) went with mum and dad to collect my car, this totally wiped me out a d went all shakey. Pain is much better, but spoke to fracture clinic and need an mri scan!

Can't be back at work until the 11th, at the earliest. All clients contacted, only one being,..... Frustrating. Boss is off next week, as are others as its half term, but she is trying to get cover for some jobs the following week, and there is a new starter who can possibly come out with me the week I am due back which would help.

But next two pay checks are going to be really down. It does mean sofa won't be cleared and ef not paid into, but all bills will be covered, so a setback but not drastic.

Had to miss my college course tonight which has been the worst thing tbh. Luckily she puts the lessons up on a virtual learning platform so will be able to go through it, will need to write any queries down.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 25th Oct 19, 10:19 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 3,059 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Still sleeping loads. Pain is manageable but still quite intense, not helped by the massive graze all along the forearm where it has to sit in the sling.

Mri booked for Sunday and fracture clinic on the 4th. Been doing some reading on the NHS website and although it should be OK after two weeks, it really takes between 12-16months to fully heal so going to need to be very careful.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 26th Oct 19, 8:27 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 3,059 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Not a great night's sleep last night, I keep dozing, but not really getting a chunk of decent sleep. The sofa is nice and comfy, but I don't tend to sleep on my back so I ache. Keep nodding off in the daytime. Was thinking of trying to sleep in bed tonight, but I need to be out at 8am for the scan and the shoulder is really sore again so will have at least one more night downstairs.

Thinking of what I can do over the half term. Need to get to town on Monday to the library, and am thinking a train trip somewhere later in the week.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 29th Oct 19, 8:37 AM
    • 913 Posts
    • 3,059 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Finally made it a night in bed rather than on the sofa. Shoulder aches so much, probably from being forced into one position constantly. I am sitting with it out of the sling a bit now and it has movement without sharp pain so is definitely still in place. I can start on the exercises on Friday, can't wait.

Still hopeful about being back at work for the 11th, boss seems less hopeful. But she can't cover all my jobs so will lose the clients if I am off too long. Hoping to get the all clear to drive next week, if I am OK will try to get to my private client on Wednesday, and not do the hoovering. I can clean one handed, it's all te lugging of stuff about that is the issue, this is just two bathrooms and I hoover stairs and hallway. So taking out the hoovering I will probably be OK with just the bathrooms and it will let me see if I will be up for it the following week I think.

Went to town on the bus yesterday hthe boys. All went OK, quiet day today, then planning a day trip tomorrow. Not sure where, but a train somewhere I think. The girl is meeting friends and busy revising for mocks so will just be me and the boys, but should be OK as will have the 14yr old to help.

Dla form was posted last Monday and I haven't heard anything. Pretty sure last time I had a text to say it was received and being looked at. Which is a bit worrying. Will give it a month then call I think.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 29th Oct 19, 8:39 AM
    • 913 Posts
    • 3,059 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    And mri scan was horrible. Hope I never have to have another one ever.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 30th Oct 19, 8:22 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 3,059 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Day tip to Salisbury. Needless to say the smallest was awful for most of it. I really missed the girl as she is fab at getting him out of his grumps. The boy just winds him up to ridiculous levels. There was lots of leaving him on the floor and walking off, but things didn't get thrown so taking it as a win, but does really show how difficult it is to anywhere without another adult.

Had a nice meal out at Byron, with cashback. And small two sat nicely (mainly because I bought a book for the smallest) and ate nicely. Expensive (for us anyway!) but so nice to eat out.

Got home about 4.30, wiped out, but shoulder is definitely feeling better, may even brave putting a bra on tomorrow lol!

Quiet day tomorrow as promised to small two. Hubby may work from home on Friday so may try and take them out for a bit. Will check what's on at the cinema I think.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 3rd Nov 19, 9:03 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 3,059 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Took the smallest to tee cinema on Friday to see Shawn the sheep. Te wierd one didn't want to go, the smallest was excited until he realised we had to go on the bus again! He enjoyed the film though, and I thought it was amusing. We don't go to the cinema much and when we do we go to the one out of town as hubby gets discount through work with it. But due to getting the bus we went to the one in town which has reclining seats and it was very nice.

Walked to a nearby retail park yesterday to visit a new toy shop. About 20mins there and 20mins back. Had to have an hours nap to recover, so obviously my body is still not right. But I keep thinking how much better I am since I dislocated the shoulder and have a week more to get my strength back.

Fracture clinic appointment tomorrow, hoping to be given the all clear to begin the exercises and to be able to drive again. I feel that driving is doable now, even two days ago I didn't so definitely going the right way.

The boy has inset tomorrow told him I am leaving him a list of cleaning to do and if he does it before lunch I will treat him to a subway for lunch. The house is disgusting so cleaning it will be a good judge as to how I will cope with work.

Money is stupidly tight and being off work isn't helping. But all bills covered, but any Overpayments to the sofa is stalled for a couple of months.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 4th Nov 19, 5:05 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 3,059 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    So am able to drive and exercise my arm. Car started after protest, blaming all the rain and it had been a week since I turned it over. Took it on a run down the motorway, all OK.

However I need another mri as the consultant said there was an anomaly on the scan, probably nothing, but wants to check it out. So another appointment in six weeks time to follow that up. But all looking promising for a return to work next week.

Also possibility of something a bit different on the job front...... Not sure it will come to anything, but maybe!

So another week off work, going to enjoy myself. Seeing a friend on Wednesday afternoon, plumber should be swinging by tomorrow to look at the boiler, and I need to catch up with college work on Wednesday morning.

The boy did the cleaning, incuding cleaning out the fridge! Told him I would pay him 2.50 lol!
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 5th Nov 19, 7:51 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 3,059 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Cleaned my house today, it's looking sparkly, normally never have the chance, too busy cleaning other people's

Plumber came, boiler needs a new part, so sometime next week. Physio booked for next Monday, so need to move a client.

Spoke to someone today about the possibility of a job. Would be in the general area I would like to move into, and this accident has shown how perilous doing a manual job can be. I am pleased to be asked, especially as I currently have zero experience and am a month into my course, it would be tough, and I wouldn't really be able to start until Jan, I need some notice if reducing my hours down. But I think I am going to go for it, if nothing else I might be useless or hate it, then I won't need to do the course I am planning on after this one

Arm is sore, been really busy doing exercises with it, amazing how difficult some movements are compared to others. But things are slowly getting back to normal.

Tomorrow have an appointment with the senco to discuss the two smalls. Then top up shop needed, then back to do homework and catch up on what I missed, afternoon coffee with a friend, swimming with the smallest and course. Busy day.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 9th Nov 19, 12:47 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 3,059 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Spoke again to the person who has offered me the new job. Am meeting him and his business partner next week for a meeting. It would be around 10hrs to begin with, so I can keep some clients too.

Been a quiet week, did some jobs around the house I have been putting off, and relaxed as much as I could. One of my clients has cancelled going forward which, while annoying, takes pressure off my Mondays. I have also bitten the bullet and told my boss I am giving up Wednesdays. Its only two jobs as it was always supposed to be a half day, and there may be someone to take it over.

She has also arranged someone to work with me on Thursday and Friday for a few weeks, which is good, but also means that I will earn even less money. Debt payment is on hold (luckily card and sofa are 0%) minimum only until after Xmas. October has been a shocking month. Still need to find money to pay the plumber, boiler should be fixed next week but he is busy so will need to check in with him Monday. So November looks like it may pan out the same. But essentials covered, the girl an the boys xmas presents are pretty much done, due money from mum and sister too, will be a bit of a scaled back one I think.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 11th Nov 19, 7:31 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 3,059 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Another disaster. Washing machine has been making a funny noise. Was really hopeful that there was something stuck in it, so called in a repair man. But no, it's terminal

Managed to get one from the shop that husband gets discount in. But annoyingly earliest delivery was Monday. A two hour slot is emailed the evening before, and I really need a washing machine. I only have two jobs on a Monday now and can possibly shift one if I can get someone to pick up the kids on Tuesday instead. Hoping it ends up being after 4pm rather than the daytime.

But 340 I can't out my hands on right now. Hubby's has put it on his cc and will pay it over the next two months. Money is just slipping through my hands atm.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 14th Nov 19, 5:32 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 3,059 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Omg, the car. I am sick to death with it. Warning light has come on again. Still running OK, so basically going to ignore it. There is also a recall for some part that I keep getting letters about. But have literally no time to get it to the garage. May ring and see what they suggest. Wouldn't have to pay for that but still need time out from work.

Has a meeting re the possible job. Anyway I start 6th Jan two days a week. Need to break it to my boss that I am dropping down to two days. Feel guilty, but the whole point of doing the course was to change direction. Its only 10-15 hours to begin with and I need a couple of weeks training with the bookkeeper, but it is a saleried position, and working from home so less reliance on the car, and less petrol. But a big change.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 14th Nov 19, 10:46 PM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 10,838 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Exciting times...well done on embracing the opportunity
    paydbx2019 #93 1211.29/10,100 .
    EF 40. SPC 141

# savings# 17. Oven. 0 / 403
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,907Posts Today

6,168Users online

Martin's Twitter