Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Maverock
    • By Maverock 17th Oct 19, 1:25 PM
    • 46Posts
    • 12Thanks
    Maverock
    Windows 10 Home Retail?
    • 17th Oct 19, 1:25 PM
    Windows 10 Home Retail? 17th Oct 19 at 1:25 PM
    Does anyone know where or if it is still possible to purchase a RETAIL copy of Windows 10 Home?

I have searched all over the web, and, apart from some dodgy looking 'retailers' on Amazon and E-Bay have not managed to find any.
    I have had a retail copy since Win XP but since I downloaded the upgrade to Win 10 it will no longer accept the Activation code.
Page 1
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 17th Oct 19, 1:39 PM
    • 2,982 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 17th Oct 19, 1:39 PM
    • 17th Oct 19, 1:39 PM
    Does anyone know where or if it is still possible to purchase a RETAIL copy of Windows 10 Home?

I have searched all over the web, and, apart from some dodgy looking 'retailers' on Amazon and E-Bay have not managed to find any.
    I have had a retail copy since Win XP but since I downloaded the upgrade to Win 10 it will no longer accept the Activation code.
    Originally posted by Maverock

Which activation code?
    • mksysb
    • By mksysb 17th Oct 19, 1:46 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    mksysb
    • 17th Oct 19, 1:46 PM
    • 17th Oct 19, 1:46 PM

Yes you can

https://www.ebuyer.com/818640-windows-10-home-box-pack-32-64-bit-usb-flash-drive-haj-00055

bit expensive though.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 17th Oct 19, 2:11 PM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 2,093 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 17th Oct 19, 2:11 PM
    • 17th Oct 19, 2:11 PM
    I downloaded the upgrade to Win 10 it will no longer accept the Activation code.
    Well it won't because those upgrade keys were for the most part all the same, during the Windows 10 upgrade period everybody got the same product key (which wasn't needed anyway) and so if you need to reload 10 on a machine that 10 on it in the past then you just skip the key requests and it re-activates itself.

Or have I misunderstood?
    What are you trying to do exactly?
    • Mr_Toad
    • By Mr_Toad 18th Oct 19, 9:11 AM
    • 2,429 Posts
    • 3,707 Thanks
    Mr_Toad
    • 18th Oct 19, 9:11 AM
    • 18th Oct 19, 9:11 AM
    Any particular reason you want a retail copy?

I had one of the 'free' upgrade licences running on my spare PC. When I upgraded the hardware it wouldn't reactivate.

Rather than mess about calling MS I bought an activation key for the Home version off fleabay for under a fiver.

For the most part these keys come from machines bought for commercial use where the machines are then given an enterprise build leaving the Home keys unused which are then sold on.

Yes there are some dodgy sellers but many are just selling off unused keys and there seems to be tacit agreement from MS that it is OK to resell them as long as keys are only used once.
    One by one the penguins are slowly stealing my sanity.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 18th Oct 19, 9:22 AM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 2,093 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 18th Oct 19, 9:22 AM
    • 18th Oct 19, 9:22 AM
    I had one of the 'free' upgrade licences running on my spare PC. When I upgraded the hardware it wouldn't reactivate.

Rather than mess about calling MS I bought an activation key for the Home version off fleabay for under a fiver.
    Originally posted by Mr_Toad
    For future reference if you used the free upgrade that MS pushed out in the early days of Windows 10 and you buy new hardware, you can transfer it to another computer with your Microsoft account:
    https://www.groovypost.com/how-to-use-digital-license-to-manage-and-activate-windows-10-anniversary-update-licenses/

Of course the only caveat with this is that the old hardware is working in the first place.
    • vacheron
    • By vacheron 18th Oct 19, 9:36 AM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 1,013 Thanks
    vacheron
    • 18th Oct 19, 9:36 AM
    • 18th Oct 19, 9:36 AM
    I have a couple of retail boxed windows 7 licences and whenever I need a new windows 10 machine I just install these and immediately run the free windows 10 upgrade.

Despite popular belief, the free windows 10 upgrade is is still very much alive and kicking. The last time I did it was about a month ago.

So may be cheaper to buy a windows 7 licence key and run the free upgrade.
    Last edited by vacheron; 18-10-2019 at 9:43 AM.
    The rich buy assets.
    The poor only have expenses.
    The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 18th Oct 19, 11:57 AM
    • 8,095 Posts
    • 7,931 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 18th Oct 19, 11:57 AM
    • 18th Oct 19, 11:57 AM
    So may be cheaper to buy a windows 7 licence key and run the free upgrade.
    Originally posted by vacheron
    And then run a clean install of Windows 10 ... the hardware config will be recognised by MS licence servers.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • vacheron
    • By vacheron 18th Oct 19, 12:19 PM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 1,013 Thanks
    vacheron
    • 18th Oct 19, 12:19 PM
    • 18th Oct 19, 12:19 PM
    And then run a clean install of Windows 10 ... the hardware config will be recognised by MS licence servers.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Good tip! 👍
    The rich buy assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 18th Oct 19, 12:56 PM
    • 2,982 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Good tip! 👍
    If it weren't for your unnecessary step of running the upgrade over the top of Windows 7.

You can do a clean install, eliminating the step of upgrading over the top of Windows 7.
    • vacheron
    • By vacheron 18th Oct 19, 1:52 PM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 1,013 Thanks
    vacheron
    If it weren't for your unnecessary step of running the upgrade over the top of Windows 7.

You can do a clean install, eliminating the step of upgrading over the top of Windows 7.
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    Really? You mean you can use a Windows 7 key to activate a clean install of windows 10 on a PC which has never had the 7-10 upgrade previously applied (meaning Microsoft won't have a record of the hardware config)?

I never realised that!
    Last edited by vacheron; 18-10-2019 at 1:54 PM.
    The rich buy assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 18th Oct 19, 1:59 PM
    • 2,982 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Really? You mean you can use a Windows 7 key to activate a clean install of windows 10 on a PC which has never had the 7-10 upgrade previously applied (meaning Microsoft won't have a record of the hardware config)?

I never realised that!
    It may be that the key works in the first instance. If it does not, you can part install Windows 7(no need to install Drivers) and then use the GenuineTicket method to clean install Windows 10 to the SSD.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 19th Oct 19, 7:44 AM
    • 29,517 Posts
    • 12,140 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Installing windows 10 clean and using the win 7 key is the best option as suggested above.

No need to mess with win 7 unless you have some strange device with obscure drivers.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • abibee
    • By abibee 23rd Oct 19, 2:40 AM
    • 437 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    abibee
    As someone who likes to be legal, I bought my copy of Windows 10, most computer sellers, even PCWorld and Curry's sell them. However, part of me sees the sense in just getting a cheap licence off Ebay, most likely that will work just fine. The worst that could happen is that in however many years time you might have to buy a legit licence after all.
    • Mr_Toad
    • By Mr_Toad 23rd Oct 19, 8:22 AM
    • 2,429 Posts
    • 3,707 Thanks
    Mr_Toad
    As someone who likes to be legal, I bought my copy of Windows 10, most computer sellers, even PCWorld and Curry's sell them. However, part of me sees the sense in just getting a cheap licence off Ebay, most likely that will work just fine. The worst that could happen is that in however many years time you might have to buy a legit licence after all.
    Originally posted by abibee
    They are legit licences, just unused, and while re-selling them is not within Microsoft's T&Cs they don't bother, they have been paid for them after all, and do nothing to stop fleabay or anyone else selling them on.

Where they do have a problem is with those people who sell the same licence multiple times.
    One by one the penguins are slowly stealing my sanity.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 23rd Oct 19, 9:50 AM
    • 2,069 Posts
    • 1,094 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Originally posted by abibee
    Does anyone think the OEMs pay 120 for Home or 220 for Pro? Of course they don't. The bulk price is a tiny fraction of that, hence why you can buy legitimate licences from eBay traders for a few quid. Microsoft hate it, eBay aren't too happy, but they activate just fine, or at least the two I bought did.
    • stragglebod
    • By stragglebod 23rd Oct 19, 10:27 AM
    • 851 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    stragglebod
    Does anyone think the OEMs pay 120 for Home or 220 for Pro? Of course they don't. The bulk price is a tiny fraction of that, hence why you can buy legitimate licences from eBay traders for a few quid. Microsoft hate it, eBay aren't too happy, but they activate just fine, or at least the two I bought did.
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    Microsoft don't hate it - they want as many people using W10 as possible. That's why you can install W10 for nothing without activating it and you get almost all the functionality with just a small nag overlay in the corner.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 23rd Oct 19, 11:30 AM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 2,093 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    Microsoft don't hate it - they want as many people using W10 as possible. That's why you can install W10 for nothing without activating it and you get almost all the functionality with just a small nag overlay in the corner.
    Originally posted by stragglebod
    And inability to change the wallpaper/colours. Fine if you love black, miserable otherwise.
    • stragglebod
    • By stragglebod 23rd Oct 19, 12:14 PM
    • 851 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    stragglebod
    And inability to change the wallpaper/colours. Fine if you love black, miserable otherwise.
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    https://lmgtfy.com/?q=Change+Windows+10+Wallpaper+without+Activation& s=g&iie=1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,695Posts Today

6,405Users online

Martin's Twitter