Flight delay and cancellation compensation, BA ONLY

Centipede100
Centipede100 Posts: 107 Forumite
edited 30 June 2014 at 9:03AM in Flight delay compensation
MSE Official Insert:

This discussion thread is linked to from our Flight Delays Compensation guide. Please read that for full help.

Comments

• joerugby
    joerugby Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Here's a link to the Flyertalk BA compensation FAQs thread. Lot's of useful advice there

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1423973-ba-compensation-thread-beta-your-guide-regulation-261-2004-a.html
  • liviboy
    liviboy Posts: 544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Taken from the old thread as my updates will now be posted here.

I submitted my initial claim to BA on 1st November (2 seperate claims for 2 seperate flights).

So far (11/01/2013) no reply or acknowledgement received.

They were chased up on the 26th November (after the intial 14 day time to settle).

Knowing they were backed up I held off doing anything during December.

I have issued an LBA inviting them to settle within 28 days and this was signed-for on Monday. I also e-mailed them with the chase-up.

I did want to hold off filing my LBA but felt after over 9 weeks of waiting with not even an acknowledgement I needed to show that I still exist and am still claiming the compensation due to me.

Obviously I would rather hold off going to court (living in Scotland, the small claims procedure is a bit more complicated than England's MCOL..it's also quite expensive due to the level of compensation owed). I believe BA will do the right thing in the end (hopefully they will as I'm looking to book flights in August with them and could do with the money...) and so I'm now happy to wait out my 28 days (even extend to 28 working days) for a response from them before heading down to my local court house.
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    liviboy wrote: »
    I believe BA will do the right thing in the end (hopefully they will as I'm looking to book flights in August with them and could do with the money...) and so I'm now happy to wait out my 28 days (even extend to 28 working days) for a response from them before heading down to my local court house.

IMO this is wise, there's more than a dozen success stories of BA starting to pay up on the main thread.
    Patience is indeed a virtue ;)
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Are these threads meant a for people to ask for advice or to post success/failure stories (or both)?
  • Posted my experience on the main thread regarding our trip to Cyprus with BA. so here is a cut down version of events for this specific thread.

Nov 6th - 5 hour delay out of LHR to Cyprus
    Nov 12th - Letter sent to BA based on standard template

No reply after 14 days so sent an email from their online 'contact us' page

Still to reply or acknowledgement so resent an online message during the Christmas break stating this was the final opportunity to respond before I begin court action.

Still no response from BA.

Tuesday 8th Jan I receive an email from BA rom one of their euro claims people stating our claim for compensation has been accepted and to send our bank details and they'll pay €800 (£641.60) into it.

Checked my bank today and the money went in yesterday.
  • topyam
    topyam Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Has anyone had success claiming for a BMI flight from BA?
  • liviboy
    WestHamDaz wrote: »
    Posted my experience on the main thread regarding our trip to Cyprus with BA. so here is a cut down version of events for this specific thread.

Nov 6th - 5 hour delay out of LHR to Cyprus
    Nov 12th - Letter sent to BA based on standard template

No reply after 14 days so sent an email from their online 'contact us' page

Still to reply or acknowledgement so resent an online message during the Christmas break stating this was the final opportunity to respond before I begin court action.

Still no response from BA.

Tuesday 8th Jan I receive an email from BA rom one of their euro claims people stating our claim for compensation has been accepted and to send our bank details and they'll pay €800 (£641.60) into it.

Checked my bank today and the money went in yesterday.

I really do wonder where my letters and emails have ended up.

I've sent everything into them and nothing!

My online forms or letters just seem to have been ignored whilst other people who sent claims in AFTER me have been investigated, accepted and paid out...yet BA state clearly emails are replied to in order they are received!

It's quite annoying actually!
  • when did you send yours?

As I mentioned, I had absolutely no response from them until matey popped up this week saying they'll pay up.
  • liviboy
    edited 12 January 2013 at 5:28PM
    WestHamDaz wrote: »
    when did you send yours?

As I mentioned, I had absolutely no response from them until matey popped up this week saying they'll pay up.

First letter posted either 1st or 2nd November

Second letter (and first email/contact form) sent just over 14 working days later.

Follow up letter (LBA) sent recorded delivery and signed for on the 7th January.

Still heard nothing.

I wouldn't mind waiting if they had read my email or letter and asked for additional time to investigate, etc. it's the fact I've had nothing when people who flew AFTER my letter was sent have already been settled!

Patience is a virtue but I think this is testing me a bit!
  • Your timescales are similar(ish) to mine. I had absolutely no response (apart from the automated email response) and had no idea anything was happening until I got the email outta the blue saying compensation would be paid so fingers crossed you will hear something soon
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback