DLA - PIP AND Carers Allowance

My daughter is severley sight impaired, registered disabled and receiving DLA.
She also has a lifelong medical condition diagnosed as Behcets disease or syndrome and
mental health issues. She is in the support group of ESA due to inability to work.

Some months ago she moved and informed DWP of her change of address. Then her DLA
payment stopped some weeks later. Contacting DWP she was told a letter had been sent
informing her to apply for PIP and they hadn't had a response from her. She was told to apply
for PIP and would continue to receive DLA.

The letter had been sent to her previous address and the person she spoke to said it had been sent to
the wrong address in error.

She applied for PIP by phone expecting her DLA payment and was told she had to wait for the application form
and return it which she did. Still no DLA after they received it.

Phoning regularly was told there was either a glitch in the system or it would be sorted soon. This has been
three months and was told she would receive backdated DLA on tuesday this week, her payment day.
Nothing went into her account so phoning yet again was told it would take three days to clear.
So still waiting.

Her partner is her carer and is paid carers allowance. This is paid by not claiming the disability premium of ESA.
Effectively paying his allowance.

Now he hasn't had this paid for several weeks and the lame excuses are a glitch etc.
He as been told he would be paid this week. No he hasn't.

Her DLA is middle care component and higher mobility component. Transport to hospitals can get expensive at times and
the only way to do so is by getting into debt. Three months without DLA payments has left her in a precarious state.
That's where they are at.

Comments

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    It sounds like they cancelled the DLA claim because she didn't return the PIP form. Has she had any letters about the PIP claim?

Who is she speaking to at the DWP? If it's just the regular call centre staff then I doubt they have the authority to reinstate her benefit.

I think she needs to either see CAB or her MP. There's an appeal process to follow and it doesn't sound like this has happened, because she hasn't had accurate information from the DWP.

I'm not an expert though, that's just my understanding of the system and could be wrong. Other people will reply when they get chance, I'm sure.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • musketeer7
    musketeer7 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Thanks Ames.

It was at the Jobcentre she was told about the outstanding DLA.
    The phone lines are possibly run by an outsourced company.
    I will be contacting our MP.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,216 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes the DLA would have been stopped and the knock on effect will be the CA claim was stopped as no qualifying benefit was in payment. If you still have the PIP covering letter ring them and ask for an escalation call back from a manager or decision maker to discuss the issue.

It could be that the call centre are reading notes on the system and that these have not actually been actioned within the relevant team.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    In addition, I'd be inclined to make a complaint:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-work-pensions/about/complaints-procedure

The intention being to escalate the issue to someone in the DWP who has the discretion to make a sensible decision.
    An MP's intervention may achieve this;
    Getting through to a decision maker may (and should at least give you a decision that can be appealed if necessary with the help of your local CAB);
    A complaint may enable a dispute resolution manager to correct the DWP's mess.
    I'd try all three options.

You may also wish to request a SAR - and hopefully get DWP paperwork showing they have not actioned the change of address
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-your-personal-information-from-the-department-for-work-and-pensions
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • musketeer7
    musketeer7 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Well yesterday one weeks carers allowance was paid in the afternoon. They're having problems with the computer system and DLA will come at some point, so they say.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure