Mrs P's Diary - The Final Push

Its been quite a few months since I have posted anything on my diary - so I thought I would start a shiny new one.

A bit about myself - I am the wrong side of 50, married with one son who is in his second year at university. DH and I both work.

I am aiming to be almost debt free by December 2017. I want to count my mortgage in with this debt.

I can feel bad habits starting to creep in again and want to nip it in the bud so hopefully this diary will help to keep me on track.

Money owed:

Credit Card £1350 approx
Overdraft £1500 approx
Loan 1 £10,000 approx
Loan 2 £15,000 approx
Mortage £15,000 approx

Savings are £6,500

We also need some work done to the guttering and roof of the house which is costing £1,900 - have saved £1,500 towards this - the work will be done mid-January so i do have a bit of time to save up the £400.

At the moment am working to pay off the cc and the overdraft so a bit on each every month.

The loans are of course being paid monthly - I am aiming to also save once the OD and CC are paid off and then try and pay down Loan 1.

I have gone back to meal planning and doing one big shop once a month - did this last month and it worked really well. Have already done my meal plans for December and January and am hoping not to have to do a big shop until we are paid at the end of January.
Debt free and Keeping on Track

Comments

• MrsPorridge
    MrsPorridge Posts: 2,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Oh dear - why does it always happen? Repair on DH's bike will cost us £506 which is going on the CC and DS has just asked for £500 for his house rent as he is "in his overdraft" so I have just transferred to him.

Have told DS we will be looking at budgeting when he comes home for Christmas this week. Its hard for students I think as he gets a lump sum every quarter and is supposed to budget with that - I can barely do it when paid monthly! Also as DH and my salaries are taken into account he only gets a grant which covers 3 months rent only.

In happier news - the meal planning is going well and DH and I are questioning if we want a large purchase and the freezer is full to bursting so we shouldn't have any big shopping (as I call it) to do till hopefully beginning of February.
  • Hello Mrs Porridge

I know exactly what you mean. I've managed to wrack up about £5k on various things over the last few years or rather never clear them..... I'm on to it now though.

I hope this doesn't cause offense, but this is a perfect time to education your student. When I say educate, scare the s**t out of them in the hope of saving them from the cycle of debt we all inhabit.

I wish so much I had been prudent with my student loan and got a little part job. I'm fairly certain I would have left uni with a good starting point for a house deposit......
    £6686 CC as of 02/03/2017 :eek:

Goal to be Debt free by May 2017 and have savings of £10k by November 2017.....
  • MrsPorridge
    Taylor - agree completely and have been trying to make DS money savvy I don't want him to end up like me.

Haven't done too badly over Christmas mainly by dint of staying in a lot and just watching loads of TV. Having said that it has been a really nice break. We still have loads of food left over so are still on track to not having to do a big shop till end of January.
  • MrsPorridge
    Something to celebrate. We went into town today to order some contact lenses and actually walked out of Tescos without buying anything. Its a brilliant start for the New Year.
  • MrsPorridge
    One big change is not stopping off at the supermarket for something I forgot and then spending upwards of £20 odd. Have restricted myself to going to the supermarket once a week - meal planning, writing a shopping list and actually sticking to it.

We still have loads of food in the freezer and as its just the two of us it doesn't matter if we have strange combinations.

Have also decided to try and lose some much needed weight - all my clothes are feeling very tight and when I can do them up its a struggle and I look awful.

To that end am going to try and keep my diet food plan on here as well and try and fill this diary in a bit more.

After discussion with DH we have decided to attack the CC first. Will update the totals on pay day.

Tomorrow I will have a yoghurt for breakfast. I am attending an all day event at work and lunch will be provided - its sandwiches so not that brilliant for weight loss - but a free lunch is always great for a Moneysaver! There is always plenty left over so I am taking an empty butty box with me and hope to get enough for myself and DH's lunches the following day as we are allowed to take the left-overs and its always a bit of a scrum so elbows at the ready.

Dinner tomorrow is chicken and broccoli bakes with baked beans.
  • MrsPorridge
    A real result today. Went into town to upgrade DH's phone. His bill has now gone down by £5 with a new phone and traded his old oe in so no outlay - in fact we got £40 refunded. Also changed DS' tariff (which we pay) and his gone down from £39.50 to £12. Also changed mine down from £33 to £14. can hardly believe it. Just really goes to show what a rip off these mobiles really are if you don't keep on top of it.
  • MrsPorridge
    Got home yesterday to find the water bill - we are in credit and as form 1st March our payments will drop from £55 pm to £21.50! I guess it took just over a year from DS moving out for it to show up that we aren't having showers every five minutes nor using the washing machine every day :)

Finished work a bit earlier. Was tempted to stop off at Sainsbogs for "stuff". Drove straight past - so that is another £10 - 20 saved.

I also had lunch at my desk - normally I go to a canteen and buy a drink and eat my packed lunch - so an NSD for me.
  • MrsPorridge
    Pancakes for tea tonight - we made extra and I filled them with a cheese and ham sauce (cheese sauce made with some leftover creme fraciche). These have gone in the butty boxes for lunch tomorrow - goodness knows if you can microwave pancakes but will find out tomorrow!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,176 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Great savings on the mobiles :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Been reading your diary Mrs P. Good luck with your final push, you seem to be really motivated. I can relate to you having weird food combination. We quite often have a 'muck and bullets' tea when I'm clearing out the freezer.
    12/04/2019
    Savings £134 nothing changed here
    Credit Score 134/700 - Jan. 171/700 - Feb. 151/700 - Mar.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure