PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Vendor / developer has pulled out after exchange

Comments

• I see what you mean.

Those things are indeed unacceptable standard.

One of the whole reasons for buying a new-build is that one can "just move in" and get on with it.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser Posts: 2,851
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 15 May 2018 at 8:51AM
    Can you answer the question as to whether these solicitors were recommended by the developer?

Can you answer as to whether the solicitors properly informed you that the contract could be cancelled by either side at any time?

If you were told this could happen and chose to continue, you can't start kicking off now because it did happen. The developers are legally absolutely in the right. You may have a case against your solicitors, so please answer the questions about your solicitors instead of raging at the developers. Forget the petty revenge and "naming and shaming"; it can't help you and the person you are listening to has absolutely no conception of the law.
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    Good grief, that's horrendously shoddy work :eek:

Maybe the flat didn't pass Building Control inspection?
  • Ultra64
    Ultra64 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Can you answer the question as to whether these solicitors were recommended by the developer?

Can you answer as to whether the solicitors properly informed you that the contract could be cancelled by either side at any time?

If you were told this could happen and chose to continue, you can't start kicking off now because it did happen. The developers are legally absolutely in the right. You may have a case against your solicitors, so please answer the questions about your solicitors instead of raging at the developers. Forget the petty revenge and "naming and shaming"; it can't help you and the person you are listening to has absolutely no conception of the law.

They were recommended by the estate agent, and of course I thought no way...but then a close friend who is in the business said they are a really good solicitor so I went with them. The solicitor didn't verbally say that this could be the case...but it is obviously written in the contract. I am in no doubt I have a fight on my hands as it's written in black and white, but to do this to someone 11 months after they could have backed out is terrible...and all because I complained about how bad their work is on something I am about to spend a lot of money on.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/158160210@N04/sets/72157668853007918
  • Ultra64
    Good grief, that's horrendously shoddy work :eek:

Maybe the flat didn't pass Building Control inspection?

Apparently it did.
  • Ultra64
    I see what you mean.

Those things are indeed unacceptable standard.

One of the whole reasons for buying a new-build is that one can "just move in" and get on with it.

Exactly, you are not going to drive a brand new car out the showroom with scratches all over it and parts missing.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    TBH I think they may have done you a favour in the long run.
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    In the state that it's in, I'd be amazed if they could sell it to anyone else!

Maybe the developer has decided to keep it and rent it out.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,468
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 15 May 2018 at 9:57AM
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    TBH I think they may have done you a favour in the long run.
    Exactly. If they've not been very helpful before you move in (and are even turning it around and blaming you for not selling!), can you imagine how hard it will be if/when you find problems and try to get them to sort it once you own it? They should be sucking up to you as a buyer!

Seriously, looking at those pics - you should have exercised YOUR right to run for the hills even after exchanging. I'd not touch it with a bargepole. I'd be wary of a house that bad if it was 100 years old. Mine's Edwardian and nowhere near that bad. Certainly wouldn't want to buy a new one with that much wrong with it. Can you imagine the state of it in say 10 years' time? I bet there will be cracks all over and it wouldn't surprise me to find it's sunk in places. I dread to think what's underneath it. Shoddy doesn't quite cover it.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • david1951
    david1951 Posts: 431
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    stuco36 wrote: »
    I have purchased furniture to go in this particular property these costs won't be recoverable*, I have solicitors fees I still need to pay hopefully you can negotiate a reduced fee IF they didn't properly advise you of the terms of the contract, I have had to extend my mortgage 3 times which has cost me extra money these costs won't be recoverable*, and the biggest one out of all of them is property prices have risen these costs won't be recoverable*, I will no longer be able to get a property like this one again now probably for the best by the looks of it!

* in my non-legally qualified opinion. In five/ten years time you will have forgotten about this and will hopefully be a home that isn't falling apart at the seams. Yes, you have lost a bit of money but that is always a risk when buying a house. Most of the time you can't recoup your costs when it falls through.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure