PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Council tax banding / wooden sun room?

Hi,

I just came on to look for advice as I can't find much online.

Does anyone know if a wooden frame and single glazed sun room should be included in house size calculations when assessing council tax banding? It is not a habitable room.

Thanks

Comments

• JoJo1978
    JoJo1978 Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post
    Council tax banding in my area was last done on valuations in 1991. Any modifications made since then are not taken into account. Also my council tax bill is the same as my neighbours, I have an extension and they don’t. The bill is not as localised as the dimensions of an individual house I don’t think
  • If it's not habitable, what is it?

Is it a ruin?
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If it's not habitable, what is it?

Is it a ruin?

You wouldn't sleep, read, eat or otherwise spend time in there due to the temperatures, which vary between -2 and 45 degrees! It's a place for washing machine and storage shelves.
  • glasgowdan wrote: »
    You wouldn't sleep, read, eat or otherwise spend time in there due to the temperatures, which vary between -2 and 45 degrees! It's a place for washing machine and storage shelves.

Then the room is usable, and is part of the house. It sounds just like my garage, which is part of the house.

In which case it would be included in any valuation for any purpose. As mentioned above, council tax banding was set in 1991, but changes can be made either up or down, when an occupier challenges a banding.

If you or your neighbour challenges a banding, and the home happens to get a higher band (yes, it's happened), then neighbours can find their banding is also increased.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 December 2017 at 12:03PM
    It adds on whatever value a rickety sun room does - which I doubt is much. This also presumes the sun room wasn't already there and taken into account at the time of the original valuation.
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    the temperatures vary between -2 and 45 degrees! It's a place for washing machine and storage shelves.

If it's got a washing machine and plumbing I would try to keep the temperature above freezing...
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    The sun room would most likely be excluded from the M2 area recorded on the VO database but it would probably have a 'conservatory' maker added to the record as one of its attributes.
  • elonii
    elonii Posts: 62 Forumite
    I have one of those on the house I have just bought. It's leaking and needs to be demolished. I clarified with the estate agent that the surveyor does not include that in the square meterage of the property for his valuation purposes (cos I didn't want to pay for it!). I'd hope it was similar for council tax valuation purposes.
  • elonii wrote: »
    I have one of those on the house I have just bought. It's leaking and needs to be demolished. I clarified with the estate agent that the surveyor does not include that in the square meterage of the property for his valuation purposes (cos I didn't want to pay for it!). I'd hope it was similar for council tax valuation purposes.

In 1991, most council tax valuations were done on a drive by basis. If it was at the rear, it probably wouldn’t have even been seen.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tom99 wrote: »
    The sun room would most likely be excluded from the M2 area recorded on the VO database but it would probably have a 'conservatory' maker added to the record as one of its attributes.

Thanks for the insight. I'll come back with more background info shortly.
  • davilown
    davilown Posts: 2,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    JoJo1978 wrote: »
    Council tax banding in my area was last done on valuations in 1991. Any modifications made since then are not taken into account. Also my council tax bill is the same as my neighbours, I have an extension and they don’t. The bill is not as localised as the dimensions of an individual house I don’t think

I may be wrong but your council tax banding is reviewed when a marker is placed on it following a planning application. Whether it's changed then or when the house is sold I don't know
    30th June 2021 completely debt free…. Downsized, reduced working hours and living the dream.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure