PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Served my eviction notice

Options

Comments

• SuboJvR
    SuboJvR Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes and be wary about sticking with the same agent. It’s feasible you have a clueless landlord who believes that she needs a new tenant at the end of every period (because then the agency can charge new finders fees and tenancy fees, it’s in their interest to get new tenants....)

Try and speak to the landlord yourself to find out why! Of course she may need to sell or even move in herself, fair enough - but speak to the LL. Agents lie!! All they want is their cut.
  • franklee
    franklee Posts: 3,867 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And to answer why they want it back we have no idea! We tried to question it, but they didn't give a reason and we only speak to agent. She just came in and asked them when the tenacy was up for renewal and signed the s21 for the same date and we got an email at the end of the working day saying we've got 2 months lol...
    You really need to check the state of play with your landlord. Suggest downloading the land registry entry to see if their address is there. Or write to the agent requesting your landlord's address.
  • mcgreevy1993
    Options
    From what neighbours have told me the flat has been rented out for many years, with the previous tenants being her a year. I think it probably the case she just wants her property back or perhaps to move agency.

I'm going into the agency on my lunch break today so find out the case.

The new place is unfurnished so that could possibly work with council tax! We are in need of a bed and sofa, which we just plan to replace second hand.

If In another case, we moved into new flat still in lease of old one - after a deep clean and moving stuff across, could we surrender the flat but still pay? (As in we pay months rent, but give keys back 2 weeks earlier) would we still be liable for bills then in this case??
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    with the previous tenants being her a year. I think it probably the case she just wants her property back or perhaps to move agency.

look like they have done it before.

if you think she wants to move agency you don't need to leave.

I'm going into the agency on my lunch break today so find out the case.

talk to the landlord not the agent.
  • SuboJvR
    SuboJvR Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Stop talking to the agent about it. They will outright lie about what the landlord knows/says because their main interest is in getting money from new tenant fees etc. I have experienced this with all the letting agencies I have dealt with!

- One told me they asked a landlord and they said no pets. They never asked, I wrote to the landlord myself and got permission. This was in a house where two dogs lived prior to our moving in and the cleaning was absent to the extent that my asthma played up for weeks.

- Another agent tried to get us to agree to a two month extension for the landlord to have “some security”, the landlord wasn’t aware how periodic tenancy worked (ie he would serve two months notice anyway if he wanted) and that this was a paper pushing exercise for the agent to get a fee from us both.

Just a couple of examples.

And definitely don’t jump straight into another flat with the same agent where they may just do the same again to you. This assuming it is all them, not the landlord.

If you don’t want to move, speak to your landlord.
  • mcgreevy1993
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys.

the landlord refuses to speak to us and will only go through agent. So not an option here.

I spoke to agent and apparantley she does this a lot. She is an old lady and becomes annoyed with having to "pay out for repairs" and just cancels the tenancy for a while then reinstated it.

We had our shower replaced last week has the thermostat had gone and it kept going scalding hot then Ice cold and she kicked off for "paying out" despite not updating any of These things since she started letting it.

In this case good riddance to her - but I guarantee she'll try to keep my deposit
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    We had our shower replaced last week has the thermostat had gone and it kept going scalding hot then Ice cold and she kicked off for "paying out" despite not updating any of These things since she started letting it.

Did you request the shower to be repaired? If so you have some protection against revenge evictions but that only matters if you want to stay longer in your current home until another property becomes available that will have less of an overlap for you.
  • mcgreevy1993
    Options
    Yeah I requested it.

But how can I prove it as a "revenge eviciting?"
    Apparantley the agency says she's been kicking off because we replaced the oven, Ariel of tv and now shower. But she hasn't updated of them in years so they were all falling apart.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yeah I requested it.

Apparantley the agency says she's been kicking off because we replaced the oven, Ariel of tv and now shower. But she hasn't updated of them in years so they were all falling apart.

Revenge eviction has various conditions to make it valid.

Have a read of this:

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/revenge_eviction_if_you_ask_for_repairs
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yeah I requested it.

See:

* Repairing Obligations: the law, common misconceptions, reporting/enforcing, retaliatory eviction & the new tenant protection (2015)

You'll have to act fast if you want protection against the S21 via the 2015 Act.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure