PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Served my eviction notice

Options
My landlord very kindly went to the letting agency today and told them to serve us our 2 month notice period for February the 6th. (It is the season right before Christmas)

We really like the area we live in and the apartment block, and luckily there is a flat with our agent that went up for rent this month.

Our agent had said the landlord will not let us leave earlier than the 6th - but do we have any ground of negotiation to stand on here?

Also, in terms of the new flat, we are now looking at having to rent two places at once for the month cross over - but how does work in terms of bills? Council tax??

Can anyone offer some advice please. We've only been here 4 months so obviously we're gutted that now we're finally settle down she's taking the property back :(

Comments

• Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Are you still in your fixed term, or are you on a rolling contract?

It may be possible that you can give your 1 months notice to leave on the 6th of Jan, but this all depends on your contract.

If you're in possession of two properties simultaneously then of course you're liable for both sets of bills.

If you want a definite answer then we need more information, not least the start date and terms of your current contract.
  • troffasky
    troffasky Posts: 398 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    we are now looking at having to rent two places at once for the month cross over

Why do you need to have such a large overlap?
  • mcgreevy1993
    Options
    We're in a 6 month tenancy, (due to end Feb 6th)
    The other flat is available now, so we can only push it back a couple of weeks. Both landlords aren't willing to negotiate much on move in and out dates, to the point the landlord of our current property has said it's set on the 6th.

I just wanted to clarify this because I'm quite happy with providers I'm with and would simply just do a change of address with them. Annoyingly I just had my meter here changed after 4 months of being on an old one that had been "phased out" and now I have to leave !!
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There's not really all that much to say. Your options are:
    - Forget about this flat - wait until closer to the move-out day, THEN find one, so you don't have a significant overlap. Is staying in the same block really so important?
    - Accept the overlap. Yes, you'll be liable for council tax and utilities on both properties during the overlap, but (a) the council may offer you a discount (perhaps even 100% for a month) on the property that's empty, and (b) utility bills aren't high on a property nobody's living in.
    - Find some leverage to negotiate with one landlord or the other. Hopefully you're aware that you don't actually have to move out on the 6th Feb - that's the date after which the landlord can apply to court for possession, a process that could take months. So, if you wanted to go nuclear, you could tell your current landlord that unless they're willing to agree an early surrender so you can take this property that's available now, you're going to stay in the property after the notice expiry, and make them go through the hassle of the full process, while you wait for something else to come up.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Why does your LL want you out after just 6 months?

The S21 is an in invitation to leave. You do not HAVE to leave on this date. The LL cannot MAKE you leave until he gets a court document saying so...

I would be tempted to let them know that you want to stay in the block, but not willing to pay the overlap, so will just hold on for now until you find somethiht else suitable, even if that means staying on past 6th Feb.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your fixed term ends on 6th Feb so unless you and the LL are flexible and agree, you can't leave earlier.

However, the S21 Notice does not end the tenancy. Only a court can do that. So you can remain there beyond the 6th and the landlorrd would then have to use the S21 to apply to court for possession. That would likely take weeks.

The advantage is it might gve you time to wait for another flat to become available.

the downside is you might have to pay the court costs.
  • mcgreevy1993
    Options
    Flats are with same letting agency so can imagine they'd make things hard if I tried to surrender contract.

We like the block because of the area, location to transport links and after 4 months we're quite happy here and don't really want hassle of moving out and looking around, my boyfriend will be in stressful stage of his teaching training course and I'm in contract work with my contract up for renewal on the same date as my eviction :( so not best time to be looking for work and a flat. In laws have agreed to help because they come up to visit from down south and enjoy the area. We are very lucky to have support but also just annoyed they have asked for property back after only 4 months of us moving in.

I am going to try and negotiate with both parties but I think new landlord would be easiest. No one wants to move over Christmas so would be easier to give new tenancy a push into January and also overlap would give us chance to do deep clean of current property to secure our deposit.

It was more just the bills really! Hopefully council will take pity on me, should I just call them if I manage to take on new property and explain?
  • mcgreevy1993
    Options
    And to answer why they want it back we have no idea! We tried to question it, but they didn't give a reason and we only speak to agent. She just came in and asked them when the tenacy was up for renewal and signed the s21 for the same date and we got an email at the end of the working day saying we've got 2 months lol...
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    And to answer why they want it back we have no idea! We tried to question it, but they didn't give a reason and we only speak to agent. She just came in and asked them when the tenacy was up for renewal and signed the s21 for the same date and we got an email at the end of the working day saying we've got 2 months

same agent as the potential new place, all looking very dodgy.

it's all about more fees until you get independent evidence otherwise

get in touch with the landlord ASAP for their story.
  • franklee
    franklee Posts: 3,867 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you sure it's your landlord wanting you to leave and not the agent wanting more fees?

If the landlord really does want you to leave I would negotiate with both landlords see if you can get both to move a bit on dates. For the existing landlord say either you take this other flat or you will have to overstay the S21 notice until you can arrange an alternative so they will not get their flat back on February 6th.

That it's the same agent shouldn't count against you as they will be wanting their fees to let the new flat. They will be more concerned at keeping that landlord happy than your current one who presumably will no longer need their services? That's assuming your current landlord wants the flat back and are not going to re-let?

Also the agent will not want the hassle of an angry landlord facing court to evict you. So time to pal up to the agent, explain to them the problems you are having and try to get them to assist making a deal.

As for the bills, do the flats come furnished or unfurnished? If unfurnished then in some councils the council tax is less for the unoccupied and unfurnished one and you let them know on which date you move from one to the other. So worth checking what your council does. Other bills like electricity you will have to pay both during any overlap.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure