PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• I've been trying to buy an extra item every time I have to use the supermarket, and pop it into the food bank box on the way out. Sadly half the time, I forget, as there's nothing to jog my memory until I'm leaving. I'd really like to see some notices as I go around the store, perhaps suggesting, "This item would be a good contribution to the food bank," on particularly relevant items. That'd remind me, and all my friends who are also trying to remember, in all the hurly-burly of everyday life.
    Angie - GC April 24 £367.67/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • When I was at school (way back last century :D ), we had an annual Harvest Festival collection, but there was no organised visit to a "central location".

There was a trestle table in front of the school hall stage, where people could leave items, at any time over a couple of weeks.

If someone couldn't manage to bring in anything, it didn't matter, because nobody was monitoring who brought in what.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'd really like to see some notices as I go around the store, perhaps suggesting, "This item would be a good contribution to the food bank," on particularly relevant items. That'd remind me, and all my friends who are also trying to remember, in all the hurly-burly of everyday life.

One local store has a board at their entrance listing the items that are needed most by the foodbank - these can change from week to week - and the collection points are just past the tills. This seems to work well.
  • singlestep
    singlestep Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 2 December 2017 at 10:46PM
    I often forget too, then end up doing a shop just for the food bank every month or so. Reminders would be great as the drop-off is at the tills not near the entrance.

When I was explaining the food bank drive to the class I ended up taking, I read out a list of suggested items. The organiser had helpfully suggested on the announcement that the food bank has enough baked beans.

One of the kids - who was one of those who confided in me - was quick to point out you'd still eat them if you were hungry and it was something you didn't have to worry about heating. She has been kind enough to relieve me of my lunch at the end of the day recently as there have been days when I've lost my appetite. I'm sure there are many more like her that aren't as frank as she is.

Bob, for various reasons that isn't possible in our building. Contributions resulted in house points - another thing I didn't agree with. While I'm sure they weren't actively being monitored, pupils in my class, from a mixture of houses, were relieved to have something in their hands when we went.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    singlestep wrote: »
    One of the kids - who was one of those who confided in me - was quick to point out you'd still eat them if you were hungry and it was something you didn't have to worry about heating.

True - but the people who run foodbanks try to treat their clients with dignity and give them a varied diet.

People often feel awful about having to accept food from the banks as it is.
  • Mojisola wrote: »
    True - but the people who run foodbanks try to treat their clients with dignity and give them a varied diet.

Nowt wrong with Beans on Toast.

If I were unemployed, and struggling, I'd eat them all the time.

Fortunately I live alone, so only buggalugs would have to suffer the consequences. :D
  • Nothing wrong with it but I wouldn't expect anybody to live on one kind of canned food. When I think of the surplus food than can get wasted and the people who need nutritious food, I just wish there was a straightforward way of them accessing it.

Pupil is very frank as I said and, from this and various other things that have been said, she clearly thinks my colleague is out of touch with her own reality, to say the least. All my pupils were on board with the concept and saw that at least it was meant well, or so it seemed.

I grew up in not dissimilar circumstances to my pupil but when my own family experienced a drop in income, I was old enough and jobs available enough for me to be able to contribute in part towards any shortfall. It would be much harder now, I think.
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    I used to forget to buy for the Foodbank-and a friend who works there said she often does too. It's so busy in the supermarket and they keep moving things around or have run out of things.It's so easy to get distracted.

Now I just write Foodbank at the bottom of my shopping list.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Well I think the damn bloody govt should stop secreting away profiits & money offshore and put it back into the country's funds so that we don't need foodbanks! Banana republic! All the supermarkets are doing is applying subtle leverage so that we buy more from them, to feed ourselves and also supply the foodbanks. Why can't the supermarkets themselves donate? Even a tiny percentage of the week's takings would be a huge amount. They are making sure they don't lose out and you are all falling for it!
    And if I'm careful enough, like Daz, to put by a stash for the hard times then I'm going to make sure I replace it. He could have squandered his wages on booze and fags but he didn't, he was careful and out by some food. So he should profit from that without feel ashamed.
    And I know I'm dead ratty but I don't care lol - I need more tea.
  • singlestep wrote: »
    Exactly what I thought, Bob!

The organiser has an unfortunate way of putting things and so did I perhaps this evening!

I had to go with my stuff when my pupils did and if I had to go we all had to go. If I hadn't taken spares and quietly passed them on for them to 'help carry' as they came in through my door, they'd have gone empty-handed.

That organiser was being more than a little presumptuous all round. I agree with giving to food banks - but the organiser shouldnt have presumed you would do so (as a teacher) and shouldnt have presumed the pupils would either (as obviously some would forget and thats one thing - but there would be pupils in quite another position on the other hand). If they made an arrangement for delivering the stuff that meant all your pupils had to come with you - then that IS pressure on them.

Maybe not the same sort of pressure as my father commented used to happen to him when he was in the Armed Forces years back - whereby they were sometimes literally ordered to pay "voluntarily" towards "something or other" (seems to recall a present or two for royal family was part of it?). But it's pressure nonetheless - pressure of expectations.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure