Amazon Logistics (rant)

Options

Comments

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    I once had a parcel left in my wheelie bin. It was empty but the lid was broken and it had been raining, so the parcel was in a nice little pool of water. Luckily it was shrink wrapped so came to no harm.

If I'm not going to be in I use an Amazon locker, conveniently located in a large Co-op store that's open late.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Surprising results from the latest Which? member survey on delivery companies - Amazon Logistics came 3rd out of 13, and DPD and Yodel were joint last.

Inevitably there will be the occasional problem with any delivery firm, but I have to say that Amazon Logistics have been very reliable for a long time now after a very shaky start.

I do feel sorry for the drivers, though - it's pretty clear that they're being exploited by Amazon (who will shake their corporate heads in mock surprise and say it's nothing at all to do with them - all to do with outside contractors).
  • Doc_N
    Options
    Just as a follow-up to this, has anybody noticed that the drivers are now trackable online?

"Arriving today by 8PM
    The driver is making 6 deliveries before yours"

No time slot (yet) but the position's shown on a map, along with the number of deliveries to make before yours, so it's an incredibly useful addition to the service.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Just as a follow-up to this, has anybody noticed that the drivers are now trackable online?

"Arriving today by 8PM

No time slot (yet) but the position's shown on a map, along with the number of deliveries to make before yours, so it's an incredibly useful addition to the service.

not for me. Possibly subing out work to DPD?
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options

"Arriving today by 8PM

Both Yodel and DPD have done this for quite some time now. If it was DPD you'd have been given a 1 hour ETA slot first thing this morning.
  • Doc_N
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    not for me. Possibly subing out work to DPD?

Doubt it - it's showing as out with Logistics. Click on tracking to get the map.

Have to say, though, that it looks to have gone wrong already. The van was pretty close, with just those 6 deliveries to make, but now I get this:

Arriving today by 8PM
    The driver is making deliveries but had to be rerouted. You will still receive your package today.

The map shows him disappearing in an entirely different direction, and now I haven't a clue when he'll arrive!

At least it's a start, though, and, Amazon being Amazon, I'm sure it will improve.

Inevitably things aren't good with Prime at the moment - impossible to get any item delivered tomorrow. Obviously swamped with orders for the Black Friday weekend.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    Doubt it - it's showing as out with Logistics. Click on tracking to get the map.

Have to say, though, that it looks to have gone wrong already. The van was pretty close, with just those 6 deliveries to make, but now I get this:

Arriving today by 8PM
    The driver is making deliveries but had to be rerouted. You will still receive your package today.

The map shows him disappearing in an entirely different direction, and now I haven't a clue when he'll arrive!

At least it's a start, though, and, Amazon being Amazon, I'm sure it will improve.

Inevitably things aren't good with Prime at the moment - impossible to get any item delivered tomorrow. Obviously swamped with orders for the Black Friday weekend.

My Amazon Prime orders placed on Saturday were estimated delivery today but they actually turned up yesterday. I guess they're hedging bets to prevent late arrival complaints.
  • Doc_N
    Options
    Remember when DPD were absolutely reliable?

I have some practical experience of the reason, maybe, that Which? ranked them joint last with Yodel recently.

Delivery by DPD should have happened on Monday.
    Then there was a timed delivery slot for Tuesday.
    Then they said they hadn't received it from the seller.
    Now, finally, after a lot of wasted time all round, they're delivering.

The seller handed it to them, as planned, on Friday, but instead of admitting that they'd fouled up they blamed the seller for not giving it to them.

Frankly these days I'd rather stick with Amazon Logistics.
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    Well for starters. The delivery is when they are at your door.
    Not come to your door,leave a card and come back at some booked appointment.
    you are being awkward and unreasonable.
    Sort out a safeplace. you get advice the delivery is coming through your Amazon account.

The issue is the advice says between 8am and 10pm, which is stupid way too wide a window.

Also if the depot was contactable, then perhaps the poster could have rang them and prevented them even trying delivery to say please deliver tomorrow instead, but as it is the only way to communicate is a note on the door which is a trick I have also used in the past with weird companies like amazon logistics who cannot be contacted.
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Remember when DPD were absolutely reliable?

I have some practical experience of the reason, maybe, that Which? ranked them joint last with Yodel recently.

Delivery by DPD should have happened on Monday.
    Then there was a timed delivery slot for Tuesday.
    Then they said they hadn't received it from the seller.
    Now, finally, after a lot of wasted time all round, they're delivering.

The seller handed it to them, as planned, on Friday, but instead of admitting that they'd fouled up they blamed the seller for not giving it to them.

Frankly these days I'd rather stick with Amazon Logistics.

DPD are not perfect I agree, but they still light years ahead of amazon logistics.

DPD - hourly estimate of delivery.
    DPD - if sender pays for it, recipient can pick hour of delivery.
    DPD - phone number to contact them incase of problems.

Amazon logistics - get a 14 hour delivery window and no way to contact depot, can ring main amazon helpline, but they have trouble contacting depot themselves.

I have never had a failed delivery from DPD, I had a close call, but because I could ring the depot, the driver came back and delivered.
    I have had 7 failed deliveries this year from amazon logistics since february, it has given me nearly 2 years worth of free amazon prime as compensation.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback