Ring video doorbell

As I'm having a new front door, I'm also looking at doorbells.

Does anyone have anything like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ring-Video-Doorbell-Bundle-/351882840855?hash=item51edda0b17:g:7hEAAOSwuxFYt1kD

Is it a gimmick or useful?

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Both. It is gimmicky but also useful.

If you are out you can see on your phone who is ringing the door bell.

Useful when kids claim to have been home by 10pm or it wasn't them that knocked the flower pots over!
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • JP1978
    JP1978 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Mind that unless you have a mains powered (via the right V transformer) existing door bell that this will be battery powered.

We had one but as the internet here isnt that great (upload is <1mb/s) the quality of the video feed isnt great. I will try again though once we have switched to fibre in a few weeks.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,003 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    JP1978 wrote: »
    Mind that unless you have a mains powered (via the right V transformer) existing door bell that this will be battery powered.

We had one but as the internet here isnt that great (upload is <1mb/s) the quality of the video feed isnt great. I will try again though once we have switched to fibre in a few weeks.

We have fast broadband here so that aspect should be ok.

No doorbell (in fact no door at all) at present, so will get a suitable doorbell.
  • Annie1960
    Could I set this up to cover both front door and side door, or would I need one for each door?
  • Dia_Pita
    Dia_Pita Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi you would need to get one for each door. Check out ring.com website.

Debt Free Aug 15 :)Mortgage Free Aug 16 :j
    Early retirement 1/10/ 2016.

• I had one, about to send it back. normal battery model. The lag between the ring and it coming through is ridiculous, I had people leaving by the time my phone rang. I have incredibly fast internet (up and down). I've also tried using their ring "pro" extender and it didn't help.

If you want other people to hear your door bell without installing the app on their phone, then you need to buy a separate ring chime unit.

It is cloud based, you cannot save any video. If you want them to save your videos for you there's an extra subscription on top.

Expensive gimmick imo. The same could be achieved with sensors/webcams. Oh another thing to keep in mind, it is HUGE. It will *NOT* simply go where your old bell was.
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,734 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Annie1960 wrote: »
    Could I set this up to cover both front door and side door, or would I need one for each door?

I think Ring do a seperate, camera only unit to cover other doors or areas around the house, its about £160 I think, just doesnt have the doorbell facility?
  • Annie1960
    I had one, about to send it back. normal battery model. The lag between the ring and it coming through is ridiculous, I had people leaving by the time my phone rang. I have incredibly fast internet (up and down). I've also tried using their ring "pro" extender and it didn't help.

If you want other people to hear your door bell without installing the app on their phone, then you need to buy a separate ring chime unit.

This is what I'm doing, as I find wifi technology is in the very early stages and does not work very well.

It is cloud based, you cannot save any video. If you want them to save your videos for you there's an extra subscription on top.

Expensive gimmick imo. The same could be achieved with sensors/webcams. Oh another thing to keep in mind, it is HUGE. It will *NOT* simply go where your old bell was.

When you say it's huge, do you mean the Ring or Ring pro?
  • JP1978
    JP1978 Posts: 527 Forumite
    There are similar products, can't mind the names, have a google for them and read their reviews compared to Ring.

I bought mine via Amazon Prime and was very careful with the packaging and so when the delay in getting to the phone was so long, I returned it as not fit for purpose.
  • Annie1960 wrote: »
    When you say it's huge, do you mean the Ring or Ring pro?
    The Ring.

It was wider than the frame on my door.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family