PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2017 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I spent in the coop again today so my total is now £57.20/£132. Not feeling great so did a shop to make a quick but healthy dinner. Usually a special occasion meal for us. I made smoked salmon pasta with crème fraiche,cherry tomatoes and spring onions. Yum.
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • Third big shop of the month done, one to go, and I'm at $802 of $1000. Did all the shopping at Aldi this week, and it made a difference: I came in at just over $200 including a) five kinds of cleaning product because we ran out of everything at once b) a kg of coffee beans ($17) and c) a huge 10kg bag of bread flour ($25). And I've enough milk to last through the week without top ups, snacks to keep the ravening hordes at bay and a nice varied menu for the week, so I'm feeling very good about this even if I don't come in right on target.

Weekly meal plan

Sat: Seared tuna, greens and couscous for adults, sausages and chips for kids (Saturdays is the night we feed them what they want and then have an adult dinner once they're in bed)
    Sun: Slow cooker corned beef w/ veg and white sauce
    Mon: Dhal, naan and green beans simmered in coconut milk
    Tues: Bacon, broccoli, zucchini and feta quiche
    Wed: Tacos
    Thurs: Gado gado
    Fri: Mulligatawny for adults, chicken/corn/noodle soup for kids because the mulligatawny's too spicy for them
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • allie23
    allie23 Posts: 1,857
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi All, well my frugal meal plans didn't work out. I have been busy writing essays for a college course I am doing so OH did the shopping last week and spend £33.42. So with around £10 left we are going to have to take some cash from savings. Not a big deal but it doesn't get us any closer to our goal.

It is payday on Friday for OH so I will head over and join the April thread and start fresh on Friday.
    January GC 2024 £135/£180
    Frugal living Challenge 2024
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Wysiwyg49 wrote: »
    I'm at £226.05 after more milk and some peppered salami for HM pizzas last night. They were OK but the "crust" was floppy to say the least! How can I get the crust to be crisp, does it need cooking in advance before the topping goes

I usually cook my base for five mins before adding the toppings. Also, if you have a pampered chef type stone, that makes for a crispy base. Hth

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,045
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Spent £27.53 in Lidl on food - wooops. Doesn't sound bad for a family of three weekly shop but my monthly total is at £98.88 / £120 with two weekly shops to go - damn these five week months :eek:

Was productive yesterday and made:

- mushroom and leek quiche to use up some of the surplus eggs from our three ladies :D had for dinner last night and lunch today

- two family portions aloo gobi (one for tonight's dinner and other for the freezer)

- three family portions of chilli con carne (for the freezer)

- two family portions of spag bol (all for the freezer)

That's on top of making two loaves of bread on Thursday too :D also made some peanut butter muffins for little monkey's snack (low sugar toddler recipe but I'm hoping they taste nice enough to eat myself too :rotfl:

So while I will inevitable need to go over budget slightly with having to get packed lunch stuff for DH and plenty fruit/Greek yoghurt for little monkey, hopefully it won't be too awful if I have plenty dinners in the freezer.
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I spent £15 today for DSIL in exchange for him getting me some 'men food' from 4ldi. £72.20 spent now. I must ease up on spending.

Meal plan is
    Sat. Sausage and mash with onion gravy and mushy peas
    Sun. Sweet and sour chicken, rice and stir fry vegetables
    Mon. Spanish omelette with salad and sausage
    Ties. Steak chips tomatoes and salad
    Wed. Pasta carbonara
    Thurs.. Shepherds pie
    Fri. Tuna supreme
    Sat. Chicken curry with spring greens
    Sun Roast beef etc. Unless someone treats me to dinner at their place ��
    All of this will come from freezer or larder except spring greens which are growing in my porch.
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 18 March 2017 at 4:50PM
    Can I change my target figure please? I want to reduce it to £3600 per annum now - there is only myself and dh to feed now; ds is buying his own food pretty much all of the time now so I feel that it makes sense to take it down a bit.

So far this month I am running at £151.91 spent on groceries - with an additional £20 I think I have enough now though to see us through until the end of the month :D
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Had to laugh. After my post about DH living on pizza - got an email while out last night asking me how I'd enjoyed my 'Just Eat' curry:rotfl:

£16 spent inLidl on way back from airport. DH appears to have eaten very little. The kitchen is spotless. Slightly concerning.

Watching rugby. Will start freezer/cupboard audit between matches.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • Wysiwyg49
    Wysiwyg49 Posts: 210
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I usually cook my base for five mins before adding the toppings. Also, if you have a pampered chef type stone, that makes for a crispy base. Hth

PG x

Thank you! I'll try that next time. Topping was lovely only let down by the crust...

Got some mince from Sainsb - now, how does this make sense? 5% fat mince - £3.50 for 500g: 10% fat - £2.50 for 500g: "traditional" 15% fat mince - £4 for 500g !!

(I bought the 10% fat one :D) Making lasagne for most of us but splitting off some at the mince/tomato stage for spag bol for DS, who doesn't like anything "mixed up" on his plate. Daren't tell you how old he is, but well into teens!
    GC Feb 2019 (to 10th) £397.07/£300
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,486
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    NSD here ;)

Hubby cooked tonight, he's a great cook, just doesn't get the chance often, he made chicken Kiev from scratch with baked spuds and salad - it was yummy :)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family