PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - help and support in tough times

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I would absolutely love to grow violets, I love them. Had one from a garden centre once and kept it alive for a few years, but it vanished along with a load of other stuff, in the bad winter of 2010. I've got some crocus out now as well as my snowdrops :)
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    I would absolutely love to grow violets, I love them. Had one from a garden centre once and kept it alive for a few years, but it vanished along with a load of other stuff, in the bad winter of 2010. I've got some crocus out now as well as my snowdrops :)

I love crocuses and snowdrops. Lucky you :)
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ivyleaf: Oh. Men and flowers! My mother used to tell me about how horrified Dad was before they married and she was planning what she would do with the front garden of the bungalow they were buying. She planned roses, pinks, pansies and lilacs and he had planned potatoes, onions, beans and cabbages.
    The news about the boiler is good. What would we do without our DS's friends? My DS2 has a friend in every useful trade who are all willing to do things for mates rates.

Things are gradually settling down a bit here. Everyone is back from the wilds of Suffolk after DIL's mother's funeral. DIL has taken it all very hard and is making noises about going back to live near her father - and of course taking me along as well so that they can "look after" me.

In her dreams.

1: It is far too early to be making such life changing decisions.

2: I'm not sure that her father wants his daughter to organise his life for him, although he would be beyond thrilled to have his granddaughter close by.

3: I have no intention of moving up there because
    a) all my friends are down here and
    b) hell will freeze over before I allow my family to "look after" me. The very idea!

I'll wait until the dust has settled a bit before edging forward with MY plans.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 March 2017 at 5:28PM
    Options
    That sounds very wise, darling monnagran :) Poor DIL though, she must feel very torn, wanting to make sure that both you and her Dad will be okay.

Mar - we have planted very few of the flowers that emerge in our garden - most have been self-seeding! Including the violets. We even have a beautiful pale pink peony (not at present, obviously :D) i did plant crocuses and daffs though.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hello lovely helpful people.....

Can you tell i'm after something? :p

my DS is 18 on Saturday (how the hell did THAT happen :eek: but I digress). Although he is having a few bits and pieces for his guitar, his main pressie will be a holiday at some point. DD got a trip to New York for her 18th, but he doesn't know when / where he will go so we just said that if there is a skiing trip or other holiday when he gets to Uni, then we will fund it as his 18th. So, I thought i'd put a little parcel of stuff together that says 'holiday' - he needs sunglasses, so that is the starting point but i can't think of anything cheap to go in it..... thought you clever lot might be able to come up with stuff.

Over to you (no pressure :cool::rotfl:)
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sunscreen, Plasters ( snoopy ones?) Hat, T shirt, mock up ticket????
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 March 2017 at 8:10PM
    Options
    Swimming trunks? beach towel, flip flops, Frisbee, disposable barbecue, soft material bag with string straps (like a flat duffel bag (to carry all of above). Coloured sun screen (like the cricketers use).
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    For skiing - Silly hat, lip balm, socks, hand warmers.
    For beach - silly hat, lip balm, towel, after-sun cream.

For either - Day bag (small rucksack), water bottle, travel padlock, disposable camera.

That's a lovely present VJsmum, one that will have such memories.

Glad you don't need 'looking after' monna, I'm sure things will settle again soon.
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VJsmumn For an 18 year old boy even though he is your son I would be wary of buying anything but toiletries. What ever you like he won't like even if he liked it yesterday.

Unless he has had one recently I would buy a toilet bag, toothbrush, toothpaste, soap or shower gel and shampoo.

The problem with sunnies is what suits one person looks awful on another unless you are buying a really cheap pair I would give him the money, I presume he is likely to pick somewhere within the EU so you could give him some Euros. I suggest you get the best value pack from the post office. They are reasonable, helpful and always have one offer.

Wish him a happy birthday from us all and here's the cake :bdaycake:
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    VJsmum me, DH & DS/DiL tend to go for "experience vouchers" designed to suit the recipient & gift ;)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills