Replacing our 28 year old boiler help?

Comments

• lisa110rry wrote: »
    Any suggestions fora sensible replacement that would run our radiators?

Any combi will run your rads because if you need more than the lowest combi's output then a combi isn't the right choice for your house, you need to look at your mains flow rate & hotwater requirements the higher the output the faster you will be able to run the hot water, I'd look at 28kw as a min, plus Vailliant aren't the same quality today as yours was 30 yrs ago

Personally I would look at Intergas, Atag, Vissmann (not the 050) or Baxi
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Southcoast

What would you recommend for a single fronted Victorian house that is having a new gas connection. It is for an old couple ( y mum and dad in their late 60's and early 70's) who have always used coal and room heaters when needed.

Mum doesn't want too much upheaval at the minute so it will just be for downstairs radiators and hot water for the minute. As and when they redecorate upstairs they will add the 3 remaining rooms upstairs to the system.

Heating wont be on all the time as although they are old, they are very frugal and are used to most of the house being cold!!!

Cheers in advance and sorry for the thread hijack!

Regards
    Phil
  • Mokka
    Mokka Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 23 December 2015 at 1:26PM
    I've recently researched combi boilers and decided to go for ATAG Economiser. It is supposedly the most energy efficient combi boiler available. It is a big boiler (350 cm by 70 cm by 44 cm) but everything is contained inside, including pump and expansion vessel. They have outside weather sensors which improve efficiency and a really cool thermostat which ATAG throw in for free until the New Year. It's a smart thermostat, so you can even control it remotely via computer or a smartphone, should you wish (we do because it's so much fun :))The boiler is also very quiet.
    ATAG also offer very good 7 year guarantee which can be extended to 10 years at an extra cost. The guarantee is only valid if the boiler is serviced once a year, and you have to pay for this. You can also buy these boilers only through an approved engineer who's been trained to install these boilers (if you call ATAG they will give you several firms to call). Only had ii for a few weeks so cannot comment on its longevity, but the engineer had only good things to say about the company and so far we have been very pleased with it.

I've been also considering Intergas, Viessman and Vaillant. Intergas has a very simple construction, which means it is less likely that something goes wrong. It also works on super low water pressure.

If it is important for you how big the boiler is (for instance you want it to easily fit into a kitchen cabinet) pay attention to the dimensions- some models are surprisingly small.

Apparently you can only expect combi boiler to last 10 years. A conventional boiler can go on forever, but we live in a shoe box and simply have no space for all the extra water storage required.

We needed to change the size of the gas piping, had a Magna filter installed, had a powerflush of the system, also had to get rid of our old conventional boiler, hot water tank, change the water pipes, so it was all a lot of work.
  • Mokka, the Atag boiler you have is a very good boiler but just to clear up a couple of points if I may,
    You don't need to have been on any training courses to buy or fit these, yes they are only available to installers that have been signed up & it is made clear that prices should not be shared among installers because they will all be different, but there is no training required,
    All boilers must be serviced every year to maintain the warentee,
    A combi will last no longer or shorter than a heat only or system boiler unfortunately that's the price you pay for modern technology & efficiency

• Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    Ben84 wrote: »
    My back boiler is from the 70s and still runs great. Despite the age, we do have very low energy bills because we have good insulation in the loft and walls.

As for boiler longevity, some people think I'm crazy to rely on a boiler from the 70s. But it's gone this far without breaking, so why worry now? Besides, there's no promise the new boiler won't stop one day. Old things and new things fail, and breaking down doesn't seem to have any favourite time to strike. I've had anywhere from minutes to decades out of a device. You really need a backup option if heating is essential. A plug in electric fire is a cheap backup option that will heat any room with a socket if needed. But if the electric is out then neither the boiler or the electric fire will do you any good. So getting a gas fire installed would be a safer option. Personally, I've never had the gas supply stop, but the really prepared might even have a plan for that.

I don't think you are crazy as I have a Baxi back boiler that had been in the house about 20 years before we moved in 20 years ago!!! We've had money put to one all these years in case we need to replace. Last service BG told me I could save £250 a year with a new, more efficient boiler. I told him if I had changed the boiler 20 years ago I would be on second replacement by now. Also as I will need quite extensive work to relocate a boiler to outside wall I estimate it will cost around £5k min so the pay back period is 20 years assuming the new boiler would last 20 years which it won't!.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • Phil,
    You want a boiler that will go down as far as possible on the heating side, min probs for your folks, a 24kw will provide enough hot water for them,
    Given the above I'd go for either a Intergas 24/18 HRE Compact or a Baxi 24 Ecoblue + Combi, if you use a Intergas platinum installer it comes with a 7 yr warentee, the Baxi comes with 7 yrs whoever you get to fit it, They don't need all these wonderful outside sensors or hive/nest controllers but I would recommend a magnetic filter (magnaclean or similar)

• phil24_7
    Cheers southcoastrgi

Would they both be suitable to run the upstairs radiators as well once installed? The total amount of rads would be:

Downstairs - 3 large rads, 1 towel rail and possibly 1 small rad.
    Upstairs - 2 large rads and 1 small rad

Regards
    Phil
  • Yes either of them will be more than enough to do the rest of the rads once installed

• phil24_7
    Thanks scrgi and sorry for the hijack once again to the OP.

Regards
    Phil
  • phil24_7
    edited 15 March 2017 at 12:25AM
    Phil,
    You want a boiler that will go down as far as possible on the heating side, min probs for your folks, a 24kw will provide enough hot water for them,
    Given the above I'd go for either a Intergas 24/18 HRE Compact or a Baxi 24 Ecoblue + Combi, if you use a Intergas platinum installer it comes with a 7 yr warentee, the Baxi comes with 7 yrs whoever you get to fit it, They don't need all these wonderful outside sensors or hive/nest controllers but I would recommend a magnetic filter (magnaclean or similar)

Hi Southcoast

Sorry to drag this back up again but we are finally in a position to get a boiler installed at my parents house. I've been looking at the Baxi's and I can see little, if any difference between the EcoBlue+, EcoBlue Advanced, Duo-Tec and the Platinum. What are the differences and why do you recommend the EcoBlue+ over say, the Platinum?

Regards
    Phil
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family