Electric and Gas is killing me!!!

Options
biged670
biged670 Posts: 408 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Hello I would like to ask some of you guys that have been on here and know quite a bit about this subject some questions. My sister currently has both gas and electric meters and she is putting about £60 a week in (combination of both meters) She is currently with swalec for both gas and electric and this cost every week is killing her financially wise. Is there anything you guys could suggest? Should she switch provider? Should she get bills instead of using a meter? She really needs all the info possible and if somebody could help us out in this situation we would really appreciate it. Cheers guys, Steve

Comments

• espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It sounds like your meter or meters are programed to recover a debt and I doubt if you can move to a different suppler until this has been paid off.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • biged670
    Options
    She lost her card before and used to use various friends cards instead of sending off for a new one. I think she did this for a while, would this be why the debt has occurred? She's spoken to swalec and there has been no mention of debt Surely they would've mentioned it.?
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well look at it another way, £60 per week would be £3000 per year which sounds rather expensive when compared to the average. Ask for a statement from Swalec.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • tripled
    tripled Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If she used her friends cards tio get credit, the meter would give her gas/ele but all the payments would have gone on to her friends accounts and they would now be nicely in credit, she would be in debt. Woops.
  • biged670
    Options
    Yeah I think this is what has happened. Cheers guys
  • rosscobley
    Options
    tripled wrote:
    If she used her friends cards tio get credit, the meter would give her gas/ele but all the payments would have gone on to her friends accounts and they would now be nicely in credit, she would be in debt. Woops.

Correct. You should never never use somone else card as all the money will be going to there account not yours. She is now paying back all the debt that has built up on the account. so if she was using it for a while then it could be quite a bit she is paying back
    Filiss
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport