What do I do for the best

Comments

• zmblake wrote: »
    My husband does work full-time, all the bills I've put in are my half of the bills. We do need 2 cars as I can't drop the kids to school and get to work in time

you may want to redo the SOA and include everything on it, as that will give a much clearer picture of the finances for the household.
    Mortgage £75,300 (December 2016) Mortgage Free Date December 2051

Mortgage £9,650 (April 2024) Mortgage Free Date August 2024
  • zmblake
    zmblake Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    he earns £34000, I'm on £21,440, he does pay £650 rent whereas I only pay £350.00 Rest of the bills are split equally as he has his debt to pay, about 6 credits, 1 personal loan and a car loan. I'm going to speak to him this evening and try together to get ourselves sorted. However he is desperate to buy a house but we have no deposit so I don't think its going to happen especially with the amount of debt we both have.
  • zmblake
    I'm not exactly sure of all of his figures however I do think we need to discuss it, in detail once and for all. However he gets cross with me for spending money on day-to-day things like food, clothes for the boys, christmas etc and I get annoyed with him for spending money on cigarattes even though he should give up
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Avant Credit (3909.49..(134.8)....39.8) and Likely Loans (3994.2...(133.1)....47.9) are not secured loans - the are just non-priority unsecured debts so should be in the other section.

You may choose to prioritise your family loan but it is unlikely a debt management company would agree to that. As you are not able to make your monthly contractual payments I think you should cancel them, save an emergency fund and start a do-it-yourself debt management plan with help from this board and maybe

https://nedcab.cabmoney.org.uk/dmp.asp

The only other comment I have on your soa is that you should probably allow 20 per month for car maintenance
  • Lydia42
    Lydia42 Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I think you need to check your SOA. For some reason it doesn't look as if your loan payments have been taken into account on the total amount you pay over the month as it's only showing you are £81 out, which i think is actually an under estimate. Like others have said, i'd talk to your other half and get an accurate picture of exactly what your situations are. My husband and i are working together at clearing our debts and use each others cards to shuffle from one 0% deal to another. It means we are both aware of how we are doing and also the debt is spread between us and we can make use of the best deals out there. If you are planning on getting a house together i think you need to be open with each other and face this together.
    Total Debt November 2018: £23, 795
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,617 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    zmblake wrote: »
    I'm not exactly sure of all of his figures however I do think we need to discuss it, in detail once and for all. However he gets cross with me for spending money on day-to-day things like food, clothes for the boys, Christmas etc and I get annoyed with him for spending money on cigarettes even though he should give up

Having a full and frank conversation would be a start. Then draw up a full SOA that includes all the info from both of you.
    That should then lead to a family budget - it will show how much you have allocated for food, clothes, Christmas, cigarettes etc as well as all the bills and debt payments.You will be able to see if you can actually meet all the commitments and, if not, then you will need to adjust down the budgets for nice-to-haves like cigarettes, Christmas, etc.

I would suggest a spending diary too - write down everything you spend for a month, both of you. That might show areas where your estimates are out

Only once you have a complete picture can you move forward.

It is so much harder to do it alone - we often see people posting about scrimping and saving only to have the OH splash out on something unnecessary because they simply didn't know that the money wasn't there

Good luck
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 November 2018 at 4:38PM
    Ok, im going to come in with my size 9's (like you are my best mate)

First of all you need to do a household soa with all the correct figures including the value of any assets such as cars etc....

There is no such thing as my money his money business, or my debt his debt, and i dont really care who earns more or less, its the OUR money and OUR debt, you are married and have 2 boys that you need to bring up and set a good example to

to be frank your husband needs to get his head out of sand and grow up, you are living in a rented house paying £1000 a month in rent to a landlord who is getting his mortgage paid off every month and at the same time building positive equity in the house ( im sorry i know this sounds harsh but honestly its coming from a good place) your husband and you want to have your own place but by spending unnecessary on cig's cars food etc... you are just delaying things longer and missing out on any potential house price rises

like others have said keep a spending dairy and write every £ down and see where your money is acutally going, when i did this i was shocked to see i was spending £50 a month just in fizzy drinks and gum

do you need a car as you are only spending £40 a month on fuel if not sell it and save the money etc....

Also have a rule in the house like we do which is anything that costs morethan £100 needs to be discussed first and needs the other agreement before it can be bought, if it a personall item such as a laptop,mobile smellys etc... then that needs be used taken out of your own personall spends/savings and should not impact the household budget

sorry i may have come across a little blut but its coming from a good place i want you get out of debt and get a place of your own but its going to happen if you sacrifice your today for your tomorrow
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • £60 on Mobile phone - is that just yours? if so that is very high.

Do you have anything you can put up for sale on Ebay or local facebook selling sites - its amazing what people will buy.
  • zmblake
    Hi all

Thank you so much for your replies, all very much appreciated. Going to have a serious talk with husband tonight and try and sort things out and get a clear picture so we can move forward.

My car I'm not sure I could do without as not sure time would allow me to walk to school then to work and back again, also not sure if my youngest would cope doing the walk twice a day but will consider it and talk about that tonight as well.

I do sell any clothing etc on eBay or Facebay although doesn't seem to make a lot of money nowadays although it does help. I do also try and buy things 2nd hand when I can as well.

Really appreciate your comments, and hopefully my husband and I can work together and get out of debt once and for all. Thank you
  • Hiya - let us know how your talk with husband goes tonight and if you can then do a new SOA ………. I've been there with the debt - got out of it for a while and then in it again as husband forgot about a big bill coming in x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure