IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

got clamped

Options
hi my partner was clamped the other day on his works van. there was a car park at the back of the place where he was working so parked by the back doors of the place and when he came out he had been clamped he had only been in 10 mins. He paid the release fee and i am now looking to try and claim it back. when i have looked on the sia website i cant find the name of the company on there but on the reciept it has a sia number on it. There are also a few things that they didnt do that when i read on the british parking assosiation website at the codes of practise there is number of things they didnt do on the bpa website it says they have to take photos before clamping which there wasnt and vehicle that clamped him wasnt marked which it says they have to be and other things that should have been on the reciept which arent. Also where do i send the claim letter to as we dont know who the landowners of the car park is just have the name and address of the company who clamped him.

Comments

• peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hopefully he paid by card so there's a route via bank chargeback. Could be a difficult route as they don't like to do it. Others will be along to help soon.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • michelle1985_2
    Options
    no they would not accept card payment just kept telling him he had to pay cash as the company were going to pay it on the company credit card but as they wouldnt accept that he had to go to the bank and take a overdraft out as he didnt have enough in the bank to pay it so took the overdraft out and paid it with that.
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Firstly, OP, you need to be aware that the BPA is a trade association, and nothing more. It is there to serve the interests of its members - the parking companies. Nothing more than that. It is not a regulatory body that exists to protect the consumer.

Secondly, the company itself does not need to be SIA-registered, but the clamper has to have a personal registration. Have you checked the name and number on the SIA website?

Did the car park appear to belong to the place where he was working? Perhaps he could make some enquiries with them as to ownership? They may be able to assist.

Were there visible signs on the land? And most importantly, did he see them before he parked? Which company clamped him?
  • michelle1985_2
    Options
    sarahg1969 wrote: »
    Firstly, OP, you need to be aware that the BPA is a trade association, and nothing more. It is there to serve the interests of its members - the parking companies. Nothing more than that. It is not a regulatory body that exists to protect the consumer.

Secondly, the company itself does not need to be SIA-registered, but the clamper has to have a personal registration. Have you checked the name and number on the SIA website?

Did the car park appear to belong to the place where he was working? Perhaps he could make some enquiries with them as to ownership? They may be able to assist.

Were there visible signs on the land? And most importantly, did he see them before he parked? Which company clamped him?

Hi i just rang sia and the number on the reciept is registered with them. He said he didnt notice the signs as he has always parked there when he has done the jobs for that pub and as he was parked at their back doors and he was only 10 mins he thought it would be ok. It was parkrite uk from doncaster who clamped him but there is no phone number on the reciept to ring them about it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure