Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ricky599
    • By ricky599 9th Nov 18, 11:52 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ricky599
    Council Tax
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:52 AM
    Council Tax 9th Nov 18 at 11:52 AM
    I currently live abroad as a contractor and have done for the last 3 years. My wife lives in the uk and I pay all the household bills.
    I have an address in Germany where I live as im registered here and also pay German tax.
    can my wife claim a reduced council tax as shes the only one living at our address.
    I am only in the UK for 36 days a year.
Page 1
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 9th Nov 18, 12:24 PM
    • 11,184 Posts
    • 9,548 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 9th Nov 18, 12:24 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 12:24 PM
    Probably not, as when your contract ends you will return to the family home in UK.

There have been cases on this, bit I do not have time at present to look them up
    • CIS
    • By CIS 9th Nov 18, 1:31 PM
    • 10,814 Posts
    • 6,272 Thanks
    CIS
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:31 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:31 PM
    I agree with Lincroft - sole or main residence for yourself would have remained in the UK (assuming it's the same UK address you lived in as before you went abroad). Case law on this is pretty settled.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a self employed Council Tax paralegal assisting Council Tax payers. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

327Posts Today

4,598Users online

Martin's Twitter