Old US dollars

I have discovered $200 (US) ish in a recent tidy up, which I think were acquired in 1999. Looking on Leftover Currency, most of these notes have been "withdrawn from circulation" but Googling suggests that US posters suspect their notes can always be used, anywhere.

I'll be in South America next month, Chile, Argentina and Brazil. Has anyone experience of non-current US$ notes ?

To be certain, I guess I should sell the older notes and buy new but that double transaction should make all MSE folk break into a sweat :)

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes beads of sweat began to break out immediately. Unlike English banknotes, US dollar bills are not withdrawn from use after new ones are issued. As long as yours are in decent condition they should be acceptable in S American countries.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    chiny wrote: »
    I have discovered $200 (US) ish in a recent tidy up, which I think were acquired in 1999. Looking on Leftover Currency, most of these notes have been "withdrawn from circulation" but Googling suggests that US posters suspect their notes can always be used, anywhere.

I'll be in South America next month, Chile, Argentina and Brazil. Has anyone experience of non-current US$ notes ?

To be certain, I guess I should sell the older notes and buy new but that double transaction should make all MSE folk break into a sweat :)

Did you notice that the value in GBP£ that they would offer you for the "old" notes is the same value for new/current circulation notes?

As eDicky said, the old notes from your 1999 still valid and have the same face value.

Agree on the condition of the notes making the difference.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I've noticed that new Euro notes are in circulation.

We have a bundle of older notes. Can we still use them to spend? No immediate plans for Euro-land travel, but I want to be prepared.

Thanks.
  • Roger1 wrote: »
    We have a bundle of older notes. Can we still use them to spend?

Yes.
    The first series of euro banknotes will continue to be issued alongside the Europa series of notes until the remaining stocks have been used up. They will then be gradually phased out. The date when the first series of euro banknotes ceases to be legal tender will be announced well in advance. However, the banknotes of the first series will always retain their value: they can be exchanged for an unlimited period of time at the Eurosystem NCBs.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    chiny wrote: »

My experience is from another continent but might be relevant...

Cambodia uses US dollars for most transactions.

At one point, just as I was ordering breakfast, I was told that the ten-dollar note I was trying to spend was obsolete and so could not be accepted. They refused to serve me since I did not have an alternative means of payment on me. Fortunately I was having a late breakfast: it took me all of three minutes to walk into a nearby bank and exchange it for a current ten-dollar note.
  • In the USA they're not fussy about whether the notes are old or new. However outside the USA, especially in Asia, Africa, Burma, South America they are usually very fussy and insist on new notes!
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Preedyboi wrote: »
    In the USA they're not fussy about whether the notes are old or new. However outside the USA, especially in Asia, Africa, Burma, South America they are usually very fussy and insist on new notes!

In South America they are more concerned with the notes being absolutely impeccable with not even tiny tears to the corners. IME they aren't so bothered about which series they are from.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • chiny
    chiny Posts: 193 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Back from my trip and I can report that there was no problem at all in using my old US notes. No-one worried over the slightly crinkled but undamaged, unmarked old US notes nor especially examined them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure