Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chiny
    • By chiny 24th Oct 18, 1:35 PM
    • 131Posts
    • 41Thanks
    chiny
    0 WOW
    Old US dollars
    • 24th Oct 18, 1:35 PM
    0 WOW
    Old US dollars 24th Oct 18 at 1:35 PM
    I have discovered $200 (US) ish in a recent tidy up, which I think were acquired in 1999. Looking on Leftover Currency, most of these notes have been "withdrawn from circulation" but Googling suggests that US posters suspect their notes can always be used, anywhere.

I'll be in South America next month, Chile, Argentina and Brazil. Has anyone experience of non-current US$ notes ?

To be certain, I guess I should sell the older notes and buy new but that double transaction should make all MSE folk break into a sweat
Page 1
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 24th Oct 18, 2:41 PM
    • 3,932 Posts
    • 2,082 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 24th Oct 18, 2:41 PM
    • 24th Oct 18, 2:41 PM
    Yes beads of sweat began to break out immediately. Unlike English banknotes, US dollar bills are not withdrawn from use after new ones are issued. As long as yours are in decent condition they should be acceptable in S American countries.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 24th Oct 18, 5:38 PM
    • 1,577 Posts
    • 1,157 Thanks
    Westin
    • 24th Oct 18, 5:38 PM
    • 24th Oct 18, 5:38 PM
    I have discovered $200 (US) ish in a recent tidy up, which I think were acquired in 1999. Looking on Leftover Currency, most of these notes have been "withdrawn from circulation" but Googling suggests that US posters suspect their notes can always be used, anywhere.

I'll be in South America next month, Chile, Argentina and Brazil. Has anyone experience of non-current US$ notes ?

To be certain, I guess I should sell the older notes and buy new but that double transaction should make all MSE folk break into a sweat
    Originally posted by chiny

Did you notice that the value in GBP that they would offer you for the "old" notes is the same value for new/current circulation notes?

As eDicky said, the old notes from your 1999 still valid and have the same face value.

Agree on the condition of the notes making the difference.
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 25th Oct 18, 11:23 AM
    • 1,421 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    Roger1
    • 25th Oct 18, 11:23 AM
    Blatant piggybanking! How about old Euro notes?
    • 25th Oct 18, 11:23 AM
    I've noticed that new Euro notes are in circulation.

We have a bundle of older notes. Can we still use them to spend? No immediate plans for Euro-land travel, but I want to be prepared.

Thanks.
    • londoninvestor
    • By londoninvestor 25th Oct 18, 4:08 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 370 Thanks
    londoninvestor
    • 25th Oct 18, 4:08 PM
    • 25th Oct 18, 4:08 PM
    We have a bundle of older notes. Can we still use them to spend?
    Originally posted by Roger1
    Yes.

The first series of euro banknotes will continue to be issued alongside the Europa series of notes until the remaining stocks have been used up. They will then be gradually phased out. The date when the first series of euro banknotes ceases to be legal tender will be announced well in advance. However, the banknotes of the first series will always retain their value: they can be exchanged for an unlimited period of time at the Eurosystem NCBs.
    by European Central Bank
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 25th Oct 18, 4:54 PM
    • 12,531 Posts
    • 8,562 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 25th Oct 18, 4:54 PM
    • 25th Oct 18, 4:54 PM

Originally posted by chiny

My experience is from another continent but might be relevant...

Cambodia uses US dollars for most transactions.

At one point, just as I was ordering breakfast, I was told that the ten-dollar note I was trying to spend was obsolete and so could not be accepted. They refused to serve me since I did not have an alternative means of payment on me. Fortunately I was having a late breakfast: it took me all of three minutes to walk into a nearby bank and exchange it for a current ten-dollar note.
    • Preedyboi
    • By Preedyboi 8th Nov 18, 5:47 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Preedyboi
    • 8th Nov 18, 5:47 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 5:47 PM
    In the USA they're not fussy about whether the notes are old or new. However outside the USA, especially in Asia, Africa, Burma, South America they are usually very fussy and insist on new notes!
    • benjus
    • By benjus 8th Nov 18, 8:11 PM
    • 5,236 Posts
    • 3,229 Thanks
    benjus
    • 8th Nov 18, 8:11 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 8:11 PM
    In the USA they're not fussy about whether the notes are old or new. However outside the USA, especially in Asia, Africa, Burma, South America they are usually very fussy and insist on new notes!
    Originally posted by Preedyboi
    In South America they are more concerned with the notes being absolutely impeccable with not even tiny tears to the corners. IME they aren't so bothered about which series they are from.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

435Posts Today

5,574Users online

Martin's Twitter