IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Euro Car Parks (Sainsbury's)

advice please
Received parking ticket at Sainsburys. Didn't pay. Received letter from Euro car parks £30 increased to £50. I replied stating not paying as charges are unfair.I have now received a letter from Brinx debt collection services " This account has been passed to us with instructions to commence litigation and to obtain judgement against you. Such a course of action may have an adverse afect on your ability to obtain credit and would include costs, court fees and interest which may disproportionately increase the amount outstanding."

What should I do and what could they do?
thanks in anticipation.

Comments

• Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Hi Fred, I've moved your thread from the Welcome sticky.
    What should I do and what could they do?
    thanks in anticipation.

Euro Car Parks have never followed through to court, they'll send a few more letters with more empty threats before realising you won't pay and moving on to someone else. Simply, continue to ignore them, do not contact and do not pay. Only take notice if you receive court papers from your county court.

With regard to their comment about your credit status being affected, this is only true if they take you to court (very unlikely), win (even more unlikely) and then you fail to pay.

If they do file a court claim, they can only claim their actual losses incurred as a result of you parking which is £0.00 (or perhaps a couple of quid if we're really stretching the imagination here). They can't just make up a random amount and then take you to court for it, they'll be laughed out.
  • Thanks a lot, thats put me a bit more at ease. Sorry for posting in wrong place
    Fred
  • max2009
    max2009 Posts: 543 Forumite
    A lot of sainsburys now have ANPR logging when customers cars enter and leave.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Nice to have lots of pictures of cars, pity you can't send an invoice to a car as they have no idea who's driving.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • max2009
    max2009 Posts: 543 Forumite
    CCTV cameras that scan cars including occupants and also the number plate.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    And they're good enough to see and recognise the driver?
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    And they're good enough to see and recognise the driver?
    It would make no difference if they were. A PPC can only send their bullsh1t letters to the registered keeper, and they've no way of knowing if that's the same person as the driver in the photograph. If their letters were ignored, and they issued a court claim, they'd look stupid if the defendant who turned up wasn't the person in the photo - just one of the many reasons why these fake tickets aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • sally06
    sally06 Posts: 4,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I over stayed a couple of times (in sainsbury's with CCTV) last year, but never recieved a fine:confused: Today, I over stayed again, by about 5 minutes:eek: it sounds like they are actually sending fines out to people now, so I doubt if I will get away with it this time:rolleyes: I actually thought I had made it back in time, but when I drove out of the car park a message came up on the screen to say I'd overstayed the 2 hour limit. How long does it usually take to recieve a fine from them? TIA
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    sally06 wrote: »
    I over stayed a couple of times (in sainsbury's with CCTV) last year, but never recieved a fine:confused: Today, I over stayed again, by about 5 minutes:eek: it sounds like they are actually sending fines out to people now, so I doubt if I will get away with it this time:rolleyes: I actually thought I had made it back in time, but when I drove out of the car park a message came up on the screen to say I'd overstayed the 2 hour limit. How long does it usually take to recieve a fine from them? TIA
    Hi sally - you don't get a fine - a private company can't fine you and can only claim what they've actually lost which in the great majority of cases is £0.00. Don't confuse these with official council PCNs. For more info please see the 'welcome' sticky thread :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure