Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Comments

• In my opinion, you should decide what you are prepared to pay each month. If the offer meets that, go for it, if not, try again.

I have reinstated Sky TV this morning after being without it for a couple of months. I was offered 60% off TV, and 50% off Sports Pack HD, giving me full TV package for £32.60 per month. This was slightly above my aim for £30 maximum per month. The advisor then added an offer of £25 account credit.

Yes, maybe I could have waited, but the offer as a whole was within my desired price, give or take a few pence each month.

In my experience (based on using the online chat function) there is usually more the advisor will be prepared to offer if you reject the initial deal given.
  • JH014
    JH014 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Its crazy the difference in offers you get. Discussing Fibre + Line Rental over the phone I was offered £32 a month (currently pay £20). Declined. Went to the website to cancel and offered £28. Declined. Went on to chat offered £18.99 month including line rental and got them to give me a £25 credit effectively making it £16.90 a month. Barmy. Time to work my charm on the TV department now that I have cancelled.

Update - Managed to get 60% off and a £50 credit off my original bundle TV package. £9 month down from £22.50. The 60% would have applied across all bundles though.

Total - Sky Original Bundle + Sky Fibre & Line Rental = £27.99 + £25 Fibre Credit, and £50 TV Credit.

Full Year = £335.88 - £75 = £21.74 month
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    JH014 wrote: »
    Its crazy the difference in offers you get. Discussing Fibre + Line Rental over the phone I was offered £32 a month (currently pay £20). Declined. Went to the website to cancel and offered £28. Declined. Went on to chat offered £18.99 month including line rental and got them to give me a £25 credit effectively making it £16.90 a month. Barmy. Time to work my charm on the TV department now that I have cancelled.

Update - Managed to get 60% off and a £50 credit off my original bundle TV package. £9 month down from £22.50. The 60% would have applied across all bundles though.

Total - Sky Original Bundle + Sky Fibre & Line Rental = £27.99 + £25 Fibre Credit, and £50 TV Credit.

Full Year = £335.88 - £75 = £21.74 month

They will make their worst offer first as why offer more when they can keep you for less?

Did you look at the 'left in last 12months' link in My Sky, as that's where the 75% off with £100 credit offers began, last year? (I rang for the offer and was told I could have the 75% off, but had to 'remind' them that the offer included a credit, too.)
  • bobstheboy
    bobstheboy Posts: 631 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Post First Anniversary
    I hope they are going to be generous when my Sky Q contract comes up for renewal in August, but somehow I doubt it.

It will be difficult cancelling and being willing to wait it out until after cut off because the boxes will need to be returned. May just have to see what is offered about three weeks into the cancellation period.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 May 2017 at 9:09AM
    bobstheboy wrote: »
    I hope they are going to be generous when my Sky Q contract comes up for renewal in August, but somehow I doubt it.

It will be difficult cancelling and being willing to wait it out until after cut off because the boxes will need to be returned. May just have to see what is offered about three weeks into the cancellation period.

Get yourself a Humax or 2nd hand Sky HD+ box plus a hybrid LNB for the dish: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/7555564149/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

You can always switch the shotgun cable over to whichever system you have.

Edit: perhaps you don't even need to switch the cables at the LNB end.
  • bobstheboy
    Get yourself a Humax or 2nd hand Sky HD+ box plus a hybrid LNB for the dish: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/7555564149/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

You can always switch the shotgun cable over to whichever system you have.

Edit: perhaps you don't even need to switch the cables at the LNB end.

I don't want to dump Q, I like it ! So any additional expense would be a waste. I'll just have to see what deal I can get. I have phone and fibre with Sky so I am hoping to save about £40 at least.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I don't want to dump Q, I like it ! So any additional expense would be a waste. I'll just have to see what deal I can get. I have phone and fibre with Sky so I am hoping to save about £40 at least.

They are hoping that ,people will not want to lose the setup so will continue to pay more than for HD+ , but any offers will be exposed when the first customers end their first minimum term.

They do seem to be willing to make good offers on phone/fibre,as my son has taken 60% off phone , fibre and tv (but the latter is not Q),after putting in a tv cancellation.
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Sky Complete Bundle offer was £30 for 12 months (it increased from £24 to £30). Offer has now expired and increased to £80. We attempted to negotiate, however £52 odd was offered for it.

We dont see this as value for money, therefore we have cancelled. Now we wait..
  • bobstheboy
    Currently paying £18.95 + £8 for 24/7 calls, £20 for fibre unlimited. Been offered £10 for fibre.

Anyone got better with cancellation, before the cancellation period finished ?
  • andrewmp
    andrewmp Posts: 1,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Currently paying £18.95 + £8 for 24/7 calls, £20 for fibre unlimited. Been offered £10 for fibre.

Anyone got better with cancellation, before the cancellation period finished ?

Got £10 fibre, £7 line rental. That was without even cancelling.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback