PC cleanup

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Multiple versions of the MSVC runtime redistributable bring present do not mean an upgrade is required. Software can be linked against a specific version and require that version to be present to work. So if you have a lot of different software install you can end up with versions of the MSVC redistributable from many different years.

We'll know when they tell us something about their PC.
  • If the intention is to simply “de-clutter” the system, the free open source program Bleachbit will do that. The more invasive Ccleaner will do a similar job. However, if the requirement is to speed up the system (especially the startup time), then a fresh install of Windows 10 on an SSD drive works wonders, giving startup times of just a few seconds.

The disk cleanup programs above, do not usually make much difference to start times, nor do they generally improve a sluggish PC. They are quite good at freeing up disk space and sanitising a PC of unwanted temporary files, etc.

https://www.bleachbit.org/
  • Robm1955
    Robm1955 Posts: 543 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    If using windows it has its own cleanup app. I wouldn't use a third party app or uninstall any of the programs Microsoft has installed
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    We'll know when they tell us something about their PC.
    What's the best way of finding system information, that I can copy and paste. I know I could find it in Windows, but don't know if I would be able to copy/paste, or not.
  • Robm1955
    Robm1955 Posts: 543 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks again for all the useful suggestions. I have used 3rd party uninstallers in the past, but I will be using Windows in future.

I have BleachBit installed, but I assume, that this is only useful for a cleanup, after I have uninstalled the software?
    Upgrading to SSD is something to take into consideration.
  • mgfvvc
    mgfvvc Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Robisere wrote: »
    This ^^^^^ is exactly what I did. You can find Disk Cleanup on your Windows Start Menu. I use it regularly to get rid of clutter. I will not download any of these third party apps when Windows does it for free.

I had a Windows partition that was constantly running out of space. Disk cleanup wasn't finding much to remove, even if I selected the option to cleanup system files. Windirstat identified that \Windows\Temp was taking up well over 100GB and ccleaner freed up around 150GB in total, so I wouldn't rely on Windows built in Disk Cleanup. Ccleaner is a reputable program and much more effective.

As always, be careful where you download it from and don't let the installer install any "recommended" extras.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Robm1955 wrote: »
    What's the best way of finding system information, that I can copy and paste. I know I could find it in Windows, but don't know if I would be able to copy/paste, or not.

https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/s/sysinfo.htm
  • dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    mgfvvc wrote: »
    I had a Windows partition that was constantly running out of space. Disk cleanup wasn't finding much to remove, even if I selected the option to cleanup system files. Windirstat identified that \Windows\Temp was taking up well over 100GB and ccleaner freed up around 150GB in total, so I wouldn't rely on Windows built in Disk Cleanup. Ccleaner is a reputable program and much more effective.

As always, be careful where you download it from and don't let the installer install any "recommended" extras.

How long ago was this? Must have been many years ago as people don't use partitions anymore
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Robisere wrote: »
    This ^^^^^ is exactly what I did. You can find Disk Cleanup on your Windows Start Menu. I use it regularly to get rid of clutter. I will not download any of these third party apps when Windows does it for free.

storage sense appears to have replaced disk cleanup (still available)
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • mgfvvc
    mgfvvc Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    How long ago was this? Must have been many years ago as people don't use partitions anymore
    About 3 months ago. I still have a Windows 10 partition, a Linux Partition and a recovery partition, so people still use partitions. Every system I deal with still has partitions. I wouldn't claim they're leading edge systems, but there are still plenty of systems out there with partitions.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 October 2019 at 9:45PM
    Technically every installation of Windows known to man has partitions of some sort, even the installation of Windows 10 creates about four without telling you and the new 1903 I think it is creates an even bigger one on a fresh installation.

Back in the days of Windows 95 when hard drive sizes began to creep over 2Gb in size, the original version of Windows 95 couldn't use the full size in one go, and so if you were lucky enough to have such a massive capacity drive you'd have had to split it into 2Gb chunks to be able to use all the space (this wasn't a Windows 95 "issue" as such, it was a file system issue). To cut a long story short Windows 95 OSR2 ("Windows 95 Service Pack 2" if you like) as it was called introduced a new file system that solved this issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure