Alternative to Virgin cable (internet only)

Options
I have virgin cable for internet only, no phone no landline, no tv.
It's currently risen to 20gbp, i'm still within my first 18months introductory offer with a discount of 18gbp which is expiring in 2 months time.
So it'll jump to 40gbp for internet only (50mbit) which is a rip off.
and it'll continue rising whenever they decide increasing their monthly fee. ( currently risen 3 times in 15months ).

I'd like to leave Virgin for any other company which supplies Internet only and no landline.

Any recommendation?
i'm in North London, also no mobile only option please.

thanks for reading my post

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You will always be paying for a landline (even with Virgin) unless you go the mobile route as that is what the internet is delivered over - a physical cable to your address. You don't have to connect a phone to it though.
  • Richard_T_
    Options
    You will always be paying for some sort of infrastructure charge for your service, weather its hidden within the main charges , or upfront and called something like line rental.

There are a few fibre to the home companies that offer internet only connections, with no voice service over the line, but these can be expensive, likewise with home wifi form a mobile phone companuy.
    In London Three offer a connection for about £35/month ( unlimited) which uses their 5G network ( again no voice)

For the rest of it, and for lower prices you will be looking at a connection that uses Openreaches copper network, soch as ADSL ( commonly called Broadband) and VDSL services ( commonly called Fibre / fibre to the cabinet/FTTC)

The way to look at it, is that line rental is just the infrastructure charge, and not see it as paying for a service your not using as you don't make calls over the landline.

If you do have an active phone ( voice) connection weather it be from virgin media or who ever i would strongly advice that you keep a wired phone either plugged in, or nearby for emergency use only, as the mobile network may go down during a power failure/emergency as mobile network base stations only have a limited battery back up ( if at all)
  • wongataa wrote: »
    You will always be paying for a landline (even with Virgin) unless you go the mobile route as that is what the internet is delivered over - a physical cable to your address. You don't have to connect a phone to it though.

Wrong - VM offer deals that are Fibre only without the phoneline
  • wongataa
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    Wrong - VM offer deals that are Fibre only without the phoneline
    Yes they do offer those but you are still paying to use the physical cable to your property. You do this whatever the phone capability is because that cable is there whatever the use is. You use the cable, you pay to use it. That use can be internet only, phone only, or a mixture of the two.
  • Virgin doesn’t use the PSTN line to deliver the broadband though.
  • wongataa
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    Virgin doesn’t use the PSTN line to deliver the broadband though.
    Doesn't matter. With Virgin you just pay to use their cabling not Openreach's. Whatever service you use with a physical cable that you connect to you will pay to use the cable. Voice, data, Virgin network, Openerach network it doesn't matter. You will always pay 'line rental'. The cost maybe hidden in the monthly charge or separated out but you still pay it.
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,019 Forumite
    Options
    If they offer you a package including landline, but it is cheaper.
    Does it matter?

I personally do not know any other company supply broadband only without landline. (exclude mobile)
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Virgin's BB only is more expensive than with a phone line.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure