Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World

Comments

• Indie......your course sounds really interesting. You are right NLP is really powerful voodoo :rotfl: My husband taught me the basics and of course that really intensive sales course I went on touched on it too.

Over the years I have found both NLP and positive psychology extremely helpful, especially through the long dark years of my husband's illness.

I often find reading biographies of "high achievers" like sports people etc very motivational, especially when they have had to overcome obstacles. And nearly all of them use NLP and positive affirmations.

I found Arnold Swarzeneggar (yes:rotfl:) and Tina Turner particularly inspirational. And of course our very own glamourous granny, Joan Collins.

I recently saw a clip of Tina at the age of 76 in concert. She is sensational and a shining beacon to us all of just what can be achieved through will power and effort.

There she was strutting her stuff on stage, 4 inch heels, trademark shirt skirt showing off those fabulous legs, and belting out all her hits. She is magnificent. Obviously she has had work done on her face but still.....i think she has lessons to teach us.

Ike smashed her face to pieces so many times I think she had to have quite a lot of corrective work done......definitely a new nose after he broke it and her cheekbones were also damaged. And yes probably a facelift, Botox and fillers.

However, that body owes more To dance and exercise than a plastic surgeons knife.

There was a very interesting programme last night, I think iTV 8 pm about the benefits of exercise. Worth a look.

And Arnie of course transformed himself and reinvented himself several times over.......body builder, businessman - he was a multimillionaire long before he became a film star. I wont use the word actor:rotfl:, governor of California.

Arnie is a great believer in the power of NLP and the power of psychology. Tina found Buddhism helped her and Joan Collins is always very upbeat and positive, and uses humour to great effect.

Indie. Could you recommend any NLP books please.
  • Well I had a lovely day out yesterday. I went to the Macarthur Glen retail park with a friend. We started off with coffee and a natter, I passed on the cake, my friend couldnt resist. Some retail therapy, followed by a late lunch. I had a healthy seafood salad, she tucked into a huge ciabatta sandwich. As we left the cafe she bought cream cakes, i didn't :A and then a bit more shopping.

I picked up some great bargains, summer trousers from M&S, for just £7, a new swimsuit, a new 4 wheel suitcase - half price - so much easier on the back than the two wheeled ones and a pretty sequinned Jacques Verte cardigan, £19. I thought it would be useful to "dress down" the two Jacque Verte mother of the groom wedding outfits I bought last year.

The dress and jacket combos are really very formal whereas I can now wear the dresses with the cardigan for a more relaxed look. I think I will get more wear out of the dresses now and I can wear the jackets with trousers for a smart casual look.

I too am starting to wear more dresses now. A few years ago I didn't possess one, now I have quite a nice selection.

Chanie - definitely a day for dressing for comfort and warmth. It's very cold, just a flurry of snow earlier and although the sky is grey I thinks its actually too cold for snow.

A day for some serious hygge......the cat has the right idea - stay indoors and cuddle. :D
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Lessonlearned I am being a copycat. I bought a dress yesterday - the first for years apart from wedding outfits for my sons' weddings. It was £9 in Debenhams sale and I also bought a sequin top with camisole £80 for £21 Bargain. Now I need a night out.
    The makeup counters Estee Lauder and Clinique are both doing 10 days samples of foundation. One sa said I should go to all the ones Boots Debenhams J Lewis etc and mix them all together in a bigger container then I wouldn't need to buy foundation for a while. :j
  • Indie......your course sounds really interesting. You are right NLP is really powerful voodoo :rotfl: My husband taught me the basics and of course that really intensive sales course I went on touched on it too.

Over the years I have found both NLP and positive psychology extremely helpful, especially through the long dark years of my husband's illness.

I often find reading biographies of "high achievers" like sports people etc very motivational, especially when they have had to overcome obstacles. And nearly all of them use NLP and positive affirmations.

I found Arnold Swarzeneggar (yes:rotfl:) and Tina Turner particularly inspirational. And of course our very own glamourous granny, Joan Collins.

I recently saw a clip of Tina at the age of 76 in concert. She is sensational and a shining beacon to us all of just what can be achieved through will power and effort.

There she was strutting her stuff on stage, 4 inch heels, trademark shirt skirt showing off those fabulous legs, and belting out all her hits. She is magnificent. Obviously she has had work done on her face but still.....i think she has lessons to teach us.

Ike smashed her face to pieces so many times I think she had to have quite a lot of corrective work done......definitely a new nose after he broke it and her cheekbones were also damaged. And yes probably a facelift, Botox and fillers.

However, that body owes more To dance and exercise than a plastic surgeons knife.

There was a very interesting programme last night, I think iTV 8 pm about the benefits of exercise. Worth a look.

And Arnie of course transformed himself and reinvented himself several times over.......body builder, businessman - he was a multimillionaire long before he became a film star. I wont use the word actor:rotfl:, governor of California.

Arnie is a great believer in the power of NLP and the power of psychology. Tina found Buddhism helped her and Joan Collins is always very upbeat and positive, and uses humour to great effect.

Indie. Could you recommend any NLP books please.

I know what you mean about reading motivational books - there's some inspiring people out there.

NLP is one of those things that really is better practiced on a course than read in my opinion.
    I did my training with Sue Knight and have her large textbook "NLP at work." - which contrary to the name isn't just about using it at work and is still one of the most popular hits on Amazon if you just type in "NLP" so I am starting to re-read that.

Of course, Paul McKenna's various self improvement books are all based on NLP, but from the perspective of using the techniques to tackle a particular issue rather than teaching you the principles so you can apply it to anything.
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 February 2017 at 2:33PM
    grunnie wrote: »
    Sugarbaby you sound as tho you are understaffed and work and you are working harder. Slow down and look after yourself.

Hi Grunnie, the irony is that we are fully staffed to the point that the supervisor is now a floater for any one who needs help or if someone is absent, no one should have to do 2 floors or 1 and a half floors on their own. I do work harder because I have very high personal standards and also I prefer not to have idle times in my working day as then the time drags.
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Maman, re the blocked pores. I had a similar problem and invested in one of those Clinique sonic brushes. It cleared them fairly quickly. Really helps my skin when I actually use it. Half price on the Clinique website (never seen it half price before) at £39.50. I don't use mine with their 3 step stuff, I use whatever I have. Murad vitamin c at the moment. I do use the Clinique seven day scrub as well.

Grunnie, I'd also be really interested in your feedback on the colour thing. I'm tempted as I have a bad habit of wearing a lot of black.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks for that indie......I'll treat myself.

Well I totted up my spend yesterday, £110 all in so not too bad. Then this morning I received 2 x£25 premium bond wins. Wahoo....so that makes my shopping trip even more bargainilicious.:rotfl:

So despite my "naughty" spendy day Frugal February is going well.

Over the next few days I am going to sort out my banking, and see if I can get better interest in my savings. My DS2 has become quite knowledgeable about the stock market. His investments are doing well, nothing spectacular just nice steady progress, with much better returns than current interest rates (well not difficult really).

Anyway, although I'm am quite cautious about investing I have decided to have a little flutter. All part of my "doing something new and different" for my 1 year challenge. But only a smallish amount that I wouldn't be too upset at losing, I though £2k - roughly the price of a nice cruise. So if I lose the lot, it just means sacrificing a holiday. If I do well then I can have 2 holidays.:rotfl:

I've done better on the food budget this week, and all my extra walKing means I haven't had to put petrol in the car since Christmas.

On my daily walks I have discovered lots of interesting little back street shops, especially the ones selling ethnic foods, much cheaper than the supermarkets. Also a beauty salon which looks good, again with prices much cheaper than in the city.

Win win, more exercise and spending less money.

I went for a quick walk earlier but it was terribly cold, however the sun has come out so I think I'll go for another one......get my step count up. ;)
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Happy 'Fab Friday' Ladies :j

Sounds like you got some bargains there grunnie well done :T. If you don't mind me asking - how much was it to have your colours done?
    Just having a lazy morning, the cat is firmly esconced on my kneee. He's very cuddly at the moment and follows me everywhere.....worse than a toddler. I think I'm going to change his name to "Limpet".

Sounds just like mine LL - I have a classic case of 'feline paralysis' most evenings - just have to make sure everything is to hand before I sit down, especially a glass of wine ;)

Look forward to seeing you on The Chase sugarbaby - sorry to hear about your problems with work - sounds like you are a lot more conscientious than some of your colleagues. Hope all goes well when you return to work.

Hope you have a lovely time this evening Rubyslippers - you deserve some 'me time' and your OH needs to get to grips with looking after the boys at some point.

Have a great weekend all :D
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for the tip about the sonic brush hex. Is it this one?
    http://www.boots.com/clinique-sonic-system-purifying-cleansing-brush-10181303

And I checked and there is a salon that does the Guinot facials near me indie, so I'll make a note of that.:)

Lovely hearing about all the shopping trips. I will try a pair of jeggings to see how they feel so thanks floss and ruby. I'm waiting for the 25% offer from Sainsbury's and hope they soon have one on their wines too;). Probably when Valentines is over.

I have joined in Fab Friday with black jeans and a long purple sweater, ankle boots and my long scarf in pinks and purples. It's bitterly cold here too so I put a thermal vest underneath!

Small steps of progress with discussions on the kitchen extension. We arranged to see a neighbour last night who's had something similar done and he gave us lots of tips on how to go about it. What's particularly interesting is that you can look at all planning applications online to see what others have done with similar houses so another source of ideas.

That was very virtuous of you to refuse cakes and bread yesterday LL. I'm sure it'll help your weightloss.:T
    Shame the 'floating' supervisor didn't get stuck in this week to help out with all that mud sugarbaby. It can be a major problem when students walk on muddy grass in trainers and it sticks to the ridges in the soles. Then during lessons it dries and falls out all over the floor.:mad:

Not planning to go far this weekend unless weather warms up!
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Maman, yes that's the one I have.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure